Is this a Cherimoya?

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Various Oriental groceries will carry fresh Lychee and many other fruits such as Durians ect. I'm heading to Atlanta Ga. tomorrow to look for some of those fresh produces. I'm lucky, since I live only a few hours (driving) from Atlanta. :-)

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

It's amazing... We grow the same stuff here...but in such a limited way, the stores go to Central America and Mexico...cheaper .... Wish it weren't what happens, tho'.

Lily_love, Durians MUST ripen on the tree. Harvest is done by setting big nets under the trees, they get 100 feet tall, so the fruits drop off and are caught without splatting on the ground. I really really doubt a Durian could be shipped any distance and be edible.

note: I LOVE LOVE LOVE Durian. Be sure to breathe through yout mouth, and be breathing out for each bite. I ate them while visiting Thailand. I've heard they do grow in Puerto Rico. But it's too salty here on St Croix for them. Boooo!

So, probably a waste of money and everything else to buy one someplace they don't grow locally.

Off soapbox!

Cheers,

Melissa

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha, no Lily, like Carol, I have never seen Cherimoya sold here even at the local fruit stands.

This was the first time I have ever seen or tasted the fruit. I wish I could send you all some, but as Carol says I don't think it would travel well, it is so delicate and ripens in a heartbeat. I can't send any fruit from the Islands - I think you have to have a special certificate or something to export fruit which is too bad when I think of the glut of mangos we have - so different from the mango you buy on the mainland.

Cherimoya are so gorgeous that I would be ordering them from that grower in California if I lived on the Mainland!

Lily - you must tell us what you found on your trip to the market. You guys just have to come here for a vacation!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

My daughter and husband are thinking of going to Oahu during Spring Break. Right now it's just a "thought".........(boo hoo.....sniff sniff....tears....I can't go right now....)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Hi Melissa, Jenny, and Carol and everyone. I'm so tickled pink, look at what I hoarded home with me. Not pictured is a portion of the Jack fruit and other goodies. LOL

Here is a Durrian, Pumelo (?) Guavas, ect. Not shown are some sweet Tamarine and green ones too. (My mouth just salavate badly when mentioned of Cherimoya and Tamarine -- a reflex I can't control). ^_^

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

Looks like you have some Longon in there too! We call them Dragon's Eyeballs...mainlanders go "Oh ick" and we get more to eat!!!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

LOL, Longons are delicious if we know how to eat them by avoid biting into the large pit inside. Perhaps the large pits are so called the Dragon's Eyeballs?
I'd love to visit Hawaii soon. Txgall77, maybe we can make a trip together in the future. I was going with Christi last winter, but didn't quite make that one.
I'd better save up for the trip's expense. :-)
Kim

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

I had a crazy dog who, during the fruiting season, would sit by the Lychee and/or the Longan trees hoping someone would come along and open her one or ten!!! And her faves were tangerines...she would come running from anywhere to get one!

Keaau, HI

Wow Carol, fortunate to have pups that are so easily entertained! My muts will eat fruit and vegetables as long as someone puts butter on them!

Nice haul LL. How nice to have a store close enough to buy tropical fruits from. Do you find most tropical fruits are so fragile and ripen so quickly, so different from apples and pears, etc. We watch things like papaya go from green to yellow in one day, it's hard to keep up with them. Right now we have two very large stalks of bananas hanging up. I am planning on dehydrating some of them today, and taking the rest down to the food kitchen at the church - there is no way we could eat them all - even with giving them to friends (they all have bananas too!).

LOL on your dogs! Mine don't eat any fruit at all, I cook hamburger for them to mix in with their kibble, it would be a lot easier if they would eat fruit too! Got plenty of that.

I have never eaten a durian although I see them for sale occasionally. I saw a lot in China Town on Oahu, but have never seen them in Safeways, StarMarket or Foodland here on Maui. Must have at least one bite next time I am on Oahu...

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Yes, I agree tropical fruits ripen fast and are quite a challenge to ship here and there. I don't know how produce co. ship them and still make a profit. Jenny, how nice it's that you can take fresh fruits and share with those less fortunate around.

About our pets, aren't they something else? They would learn to eat anything we would put up with. lol

Well Lily, it's more a question of who I can dump fruit on - I tap out every friend I have, all the guys at work, all the visitors who come up to my desk, and I still have a glut - LOL! I just hate to see food go to waste! Right now I have pumelo all over the ground - it's really criminal.

Noticed yesterday that I have some green mango on one of the trees - I have never noticed mango at this time of the year before, usually our mango season is March / April through August. It's what I call a wild mango, not very nice because it is rather stringy although very sweet. It does make good juice though if it is whizzed in the cuisinart and strained. Another mango tree has blossom on the west side of the tree which I guess will not set fruit if we have some rain this winter, again early. This year I am going to try to keep a log of what is going on in the garden - HA! Famous last words!

The Star fruit tree is loaded again, it seems to have three crops a year. As soon as it is light outside I am going to put up the fruit fly traps. Carol told me how to do it and it is very sucessful at catching the little beasties.

Here are my early mango. Can you see the soda bottle that I use to trap the fruit flies...

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Jenny, ohhh those mangos!!! Wow, yes I can see the bottle, how does it work? What are those that grow onto the mango trees? Some type of epileptic growth?

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Oh and what wonderful Jenny has. Need more pictures. Straining very hard to see the new rock wall. Maybe we three girls could get it together to go to Maui. I pray I will go again at least once in my lifetime. Had no problem getting the 5 fruits a day.

Aloha,

Princess Kilikina

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Wouldn't that be wonderful! I'd love it....just don't know when that might happen. Great thought tho! S o m e d a y !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mother's been having some work done on her house so I have been over there with her helping supervise the crew. They'll be back again tomorrow......Thurs it is supposed to be 32 here. So far the makeshift greenhouses are still holding up.

Friday I plan to hibernate (spell????)!!!!!!

I went to the grocer's......no cherimoya! Guess I'll just have to wait for that trip!!!!! haha!!

LOL, all welcome!

The fruit fly trap works with a soda bottle with holes punched around the circumference about a third of the way down, and water in the bottle to about the half way mark. You then soak a piece of rag with attractant and thread it onto a piece of wire which is suspended in the bottle above the water, and the other end of the wire is threaded through a hole you have made in the bottle cap and you tie that end into the tree.

Carol had given me the instructions via the phone, and I made my bottles up the next day. I was carrying four bottles down to the bottom of the garden when I was stopped by the guy who was making our back wall to "talk story". As I stood there talking to him, still holding the bottles, Oriental fuit flies swarmed over and entered the bottles via the holes - I was amazed at my first capture, I got 10 or 11 just while I was just standing there! Last season I had to empty the bottles seven times, and each were jam packed with dead bodies all of which would have stung the mangos. Our whole crop last year was completely unblemished. Mahalo, Carol!

So glad your greenhouse is holding up Jeanne! Brrr...32, I can't even imagine that now! If our temps dip into the lower 70's at night we put on sweats in the morning until the sun comes up! We've turned into real wimps!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

LOL. It's only in the teens here and we have a couple inches of snow on the ground with ice under that. School's been cancelled for the day and most people are staying home if they can.

70 would feel great right about now. LOL

Gosh Pepper, I hope you don't have to go on the roads today - icy roads are terrifying. When we lived in New England I never went out unless I really had to, especially with the children in the car - my, that seems like a lifetime away, well acually it is!

Keep warm!

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Nope, not going out today. Staying home and doing some chores inside and watching all the birds at the feeders.

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

HAHA 70 deg? We get down to 57!!! which is cold for us when all windows and doors are open!!!

Yes, that fruit fly capture system is wonderful!!!! Saved my guava harves!!!!

Carol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.