Confederate Rose poses so pretty

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

These are more late bloomers for me this year.

Thumbnail by PamelaQ
Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

This flower seems to be a Hibiscus moscheutos. Is that what Southerners call a Confederate Rose? I thought they might be referring to a Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus, different stems and leaves). Thanks!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Oh I so can't wait for mine to grow. I got some cuttings from a friend and I'm waiting for them to put out some roots.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH -- that is beautiful!! I had gotten some seeds in trade, but since they will not survive in my zone, i gave them all to 'southerners'.

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/158915/ & http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/714/
This is the DG Plant File that shows this flower. It is in the Hibiscus family, but the species is mutablis. Mine bloomed in the Fall. I've only had mine for about a year now, so I'm still observing all it's pros and cons. The flowers are so pretty. They start out white, then after a few days turn to pink. Pretty cool!

This message was edited Feb 1, 2009 5:10 AM

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the ID on mutabilis. There are 13 species of Hibiscus, had no idea!

Hibiscus mutabilis
Rose of Sharon, Confederate Rose, Cotton Rose Native to Southern China, Taiwan and Japan.

Small deciduous trees 5 - 6 m (15 - 20 ft) in height, covered with down and with large, downy, hairy, five to six pointed toothed leaves. The 10 - 15 cm (4 - 6 in) blooms are of two forms, single and double. The single flower is cup shaped and of nice form, whilst the double is full and fluffy. The name mutablis means changeable and refers to the bloom which is pure white upon opening in the morning but during the day changes to pink and red; often the whole bush is covered with the varying shades of each colour. In Japan this hibiscus is called Fuyo
and symbolises a fascinating but fickle woman.

H. mutablis flowers in autumn, and neither single nor double forms cross with other kinds of hibiscus. This species requires an open sunny aspect with rich well drained soil. Severe pruning in winter is recommended (about halfway) to ensure strong healthy growth and a nice rounded shape. H. mutablis is very hardy (zones 7-9)and will withstand quite heavy frosts.

Propagation is by hardwood cuttings, about 10 - 12 mm (� in) thick, 12 - 15 (5 - 6 in) long, taken in winter and planted in coarse river sand.

Mona in Metcalfe, ON(Zone 5a)

mine has made it for two winter in zone 5 very cold

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

sciccarella..... did it only survive 2 winters, or it's still going?

that's interesting though... for being a tropical.
Is it sheltered at all, or against the foundation?

I'd add that [personal experience] data to PlantFiles.

its still going I wont know it its still alive till june it is always very late to leaf out

I grow all kinds of plants that should be dead by november lol I have a fig tree that is 7 years old

Navarre, FL(Zone 8b)

You GO scicciarella!!!

its my love that keep them alive hahahah and if someone tells me I cant do it I will just to prove them wrong

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.