Anyone know of a tall iris that does well in South Florida?

Fort Lauderdale, FL

Thanks!

Only one I know is the African Iris & Walking Iris!

West Central, FL(Zone 9b)

What do you mean by Tall?
I grow LA Irises in my pond up here in Clearwater/Tampa area. They can be grown in a trough or pots and kept wet or very moist. You do not have to dig and store only divide every 3 years or there abouts.
They come in a variety of heights and some are early Spring bloomers and some later in the spring.
Mine have bloomed 2 years in a row with no troubles.

Thumbnail by shellabella

Heres a better shot

Thumbnail by shellabella
Sarasota, FL

I found this info online:
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/wetlands/delineation/featuredplants/iris.htm

Seems most are for N. Fl. of these types, but the most common grows all the way to Ft. Myers area.

Lafayette, IN(Zone 5a)

There is a Brazilian tropical iris that grows very well in south Florida. It is Neomarica caerulea. Here is a photo.

Thumbnail by amygirl
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

I had one of those it was 4 feet or more tall Paul

I have one of those and I have not been able to get it to bloom...2 years now. Any tips?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Needs Lots of Water And Fertz Paul

Ft Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10a)

I've had success with a couple of varieties of Reblooming Bearded Iris here in Plantation, FL (just a few miles west of you FloridaFlwrGirl). The best performer has been Reblooming Bearded Iris "Pink Attraction" which has bloomed at least 3 times each of the last two years. It actually has buds growing again right now. Here is a photo of it from April 20, 2008.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And here's another photo when it started blooming again on Sept 19, 2008.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Nice Iris Paul

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I grow them here in Ft Myers Fl! I have a few now! I get blooms every year!

Thumbnail by Noell_swfl
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Really pretty! Do these guys stay green when not in bloom?

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine Do Paul

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

mine are all green now!

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Mine To Noell have a good ThanksGiveing Paul

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have tb Iris in my yard - don't know the colors, as I just moved here, but they are looking very healthy!

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Louisana Iris have done well for me here in Tampa. They need water during dry spells and should be considered a swamp iris.

I have these in a large 'box' 6' x 8' x 10" with a liner , native soil and a mister system that comes on for 5 minutes every day>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Here's a photo of Reblooming Bearded Iris "Pink Attraction" blooming again on Nov 22, 2008. This is the third time this plant has bloomed in the past 7 months. Not bad for South Florida growing conditions.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jon,

Have you tried other bearded iris or other reblooming bearded iris? I am wondering if it is worth ordering some other colors. I wouldn't want to invest too much money, but, maybe the rebloomers are more tolerant of out growing conditions.

I have tried (and killed) a few bearded iris that were not the reblooming type.

Brazilian Iris, they like shade>

Hi Dale. I have had no success with regular Bearded Iris blooming so far. I have had about 50-75% success with the Reblooming Bearded Iris here in South Florida. I rechecked my Iris today and I have stems/buds on 3 other Bearded Iris and they are all of the reblooming variety. They are Reblooming Bearded Iris "Immortality", "Harvest Of Memories" and my second "Pink Attraction" plant. I have two plants each of "Pink Attraction" and "Immortality" and all 4 plants have bloomed regularly. I also have two "Harvest Of Memories" and just one of the two has bloomed regularly. They are all in a location where they only get morning sun. I had tried some other ones in full day sun, but none of them bloomed for me. Hope this info is helpful.

Jon

Here's a photo of "Immortality" today.

Thumbnail by amorecuore

And here's the other "Pink Attraction" with a stem/bud growing on it.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jon,

Thanks for the info.

I order some rebloomers that were on sale. Iris are one of those plants that I always wanted to have in my beds, but, the regular bearded always died - so I gave up after a couple of tries. Wish me luck this time....

I wish you luck Dale. It was always my favorite flower when I lived up North and just decided I was going to be persistent in trying to obtain some success. Maybe there is some truth to the matter that the rebloomers are not as dependent on winter dormancy. Never read anything about that but have been seeing some evidence reflecting that.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I have my fingers crossed...and my eyes too.

Here's a photo from this morning of Reblooming Bearded Iris Pink Attraction blooming for the 3rd time this year.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Where is a good source for the reblooming iris?

The only one's I've had success with were purchased as "potted plants" and the majority of them were purchased online from www.easytogrowbulbs.com. They're not available from their website right now, but probably will be available again in Feb or Mar 2009.

Jon

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thank you

Here is Reblooming Bearded Iris "Harvest Of Memories" as it opened this morning here in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Thumbnail by amorecuore
Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Jon, very nice.

I was going thru my websites over the last few days, especially the wholesale places that I order from when I have a big job. Here is one that I will have to order from http://www.kvbwholesale.com/store/iris/reblooming when spring arrives (next month).

I am debating whether to order the collection of 5 each color or just order the colors that I think will sell well.

This is not an iris>

Thanks Dale. I've ordered a few different things from that website in the past year or so. I have 4 of the varieties of Reblooming Bearded Iris that they sell (although I purchased them elsewhere). Immortality and Pink Attraction do great for me. I haven't had any blooms on "Best Bet" or "Rosalie Figge" to date (just foliage year round).

Jon

Here's a better picture, from later in the day, of Reblooming Bearded Iris "Harvest Of Memories" without all the glare in the photo.

Jon

Thumbnail by amorecuore
South Florida, FL(Zone 10b)

I'm amazed that you have these growing down here.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

That is a perfectly formed flower.

Not an iris>

Nice photos Dale. What is that plant/flower??? I'm kind of amazed that they're blooming for me also toy747...but I'm not complaining!!! It must have something to do with the fact they're in places where they're not getting full day sun. There's one more getting ready to bloom in several days and it looks like there are 4 or 5 buds on that stem.

Jon

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

I am green with envy, Jon.

That is a vine, Bleeding Heart, Clerodendrum I believe. It needs to be sheared once a year and other than that it takes care of itself, no fertilizer or extra water once established>

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.