My First Papaya!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

My First Papaya!

I bought this Papaya for two dollars from Lowes as it was pathetic and did not have any leaves and was knocked out of it's container two years ago. At first all of the fruit was just falling off and I was getting worried as it is in a container and not in the ground because we are in a construction area and our property line is narrow. We live on school grounds so they won't be finished for another year and every tree had to be placed in containers until construction is complete.

Thumbnail by Tplant
New Iberia, LA

Tplant
Where is it? You didn't eat it before taking a picture did you?
Oldude

New Iberia, LA

Ops, We must have posted at the same time. I was responding to the first post.
Nice papaya!
Oldude

No oldude! Here is a close up of the batch. Wondering when do I pick the yellow one. As you can see I have a nice batch of fruit coming ! My other trees are surrounding it.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2008 6:47 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant
New Iberia, LA

Tplant
I pick mine when they are at least 2/3 yellow color. You can pick and keep inside and they will ripen. You can also apply a little thumb pressure and if it gives then it’s ready.
Oldude

Nope it is still hard but I'll bet it won't be more than a couple of days at the most. Can't wait as I've never grown my own and been told there is a fantastic difference from store bought because the store bought are picked green and gassed to force ripen. Is this true??
Ted

Picked two of them yesterday and they are bright red inside and real sweet. The others are still green and growing. Sorry I didn't take a picture but my family devoured them and left a small piece for me.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'm green with envy!

Another batch of papaya getiing ready to ripen. Hope it is as good as the first few?

Thumbnail by Tplant

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.