Clover in your lawn

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I was reading through the exceedingly long fall cleanup thread and am starting a new one here because it's so long.

I see that several of you are battling clover in your lawn. You do know it's good for your lawn, don't you? Clover is a nitrogen fixer. More nitrogen in the soil, less need to fertilizer your grass.

There's some good info here, including more reasons for having clover in your lawn.

http://www.lesslawn.com/articles/article1061.html

And a good history of how good clover got a bad name here

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2007/06/24/once_again_clover_is_a_good_thing/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I leave it in hopes the bunnies will eat that and not my flowers. lol

Shenandoah Valley, VA

They'd probably rather have the clover. My chickens love it.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Hart, after I finish paying for all of my vole prevention devices, soil amendments, bulbs and edging, maybe I'll be eating the clover!!!!!!

Anyone have any good recipes??????

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Found this site, it has 11 different clovers, I thought it was an interesting read. I have a few very small patches of clover in the "lawn" (actually mowed weed patch with some grass growing) : ^ (
I am seriously considering spreading some clover seed next spring.
http://www.outsidepride.com/catalog/Clover-Seed-p-1-c-314.html?gclid=COS-zcba5ZYCFQOuFQodpTzlPQ
Now to see if this company is review by DG members.

Edited to say... After reading the Garden Watchdog comments I am reluctant to place an order with them. But reading about the different clovers offered will expand and also narrow down my search for the type of clover best for my area.

This message was edited Nov 11, 2008 6:28 AM

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

I usually plant about twenty five percent white top clover with my grass seeding. Adding lime to acid grass soils will bring forth native clover. Using organic fertilizers will eliminate thatch in due time. Setting cut height at three to four inches will shade weeds and grow a nicer lawn. Leave the cuttings fall where they will get the soil building process moving in the right direction. Leaf pieces in the fall lightly mulches all of the above for an even better growing condition.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

Just keep in mind if you do use the typical weed and feed stuff on your lawns, it will kill most of the clover. If you read the second link in the first post, it explains how clover got a bad name thanks to the lawn chemicals.

Chris, if you're worried about ordering from that place, you could always use their site to find the variety you need and then order it from another source. There are quite a few seed sources for clover, including some of the places that sell wildflower seeds. There are even places that sell seeds for clover as an alternative to grass for your lawn or that sell it as a cover crop to improve soil.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Hart, that is what I plan to do, I have a lot of time to research, also I don't want a clover that will die out over winter in my zone. Also I have a feed mill right up the street from me, I'll inquire there after I have made my choice.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

Why not inquire at the farm center as a reliable source of seed that is known and proven in your area?

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric planted clover in our yard years ago, thinking it would hold up well as a play area for the kids. It has and the back yard looks green and nice. BUT, keeping it mowed became a constant chore miss just one day and the clover heads were out and the honey bees were in. Of course he planted it right where we later put the swimming pool and little kids with bare feet and honey bees are not a good combination. I actually got stung 3 times myself this year. LOL

Dover, PA(Zone 6b)

One of the benefits of adding clover is nitrogen fixing. Another is as the bacteria work within the root system they enlarge and become somewhat bibulous, increasing their water retention ability and affording some natural drought hardiness. If your seed has been inoculated with Rhizobium, it will speed the process, although this is a very common soil bacteria and will occur naturally except in sterilized soil. A number of species of bees do enjoy the flower heads, regular cutting is a must or no barefoot in the park. Holly just needs to watch where she steps. LOL Ric

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey, "Holly" you could pic Ric's brain and write about clover. That was interesting new info. ....including the tease about one likes it and the other gets stung ^_^

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Our lawn is probably 20% clover -- not by intention, but we don't use herbicides and so it is expanding. But it seems to die back in the winter leaving barespots. I wouldn't care about them except they get muddy and then I think the adjoining grass gets damaged. So I am not a clover enthusiast, but I'm passive about it at this point.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I'm with you, happy. I broke down and used some broadleaf spray a few years ago. Where I killed clover, other weeds took the place.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.