Hosta seeds

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Hosta don't come true from seed but it can be fun seeing what does come up. Send me a sasbe or send postage Paypal and I'll send you ten packages of different hosta seeds.

mao

Thumbnail by maozamom
Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

maozamom,
I would love to try these seeds. You have Dmail.
Bonnie

Carrollton, OH(Zone 6a)

I will gladly send you a SASBE!!!!!! Or I can do paypal ! Let me know which.
Synda

Tucson, AZ

mao, are there any seeds left?

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have thousands of seeds yet.

Raleigh, NC

How cool!! Never thought to try hosta from seed! How large an envelope, how much postage do you need ? Sounds like a great adventure, and I'm game....

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I did get some cute little babies this year from seed... and i know i got seeds from Maoz ... Sagae for sure and i think the other babies were Frosted Jade.

I'm going to be attempting it again this year.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Mao-
I would love some of your hosta seeds! I am sending you dmail.
RatherB

Knoxville, TN

Just sent you a dmail. Thanks!

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Mao,
How and when would you recommend planting these seeds? How about winter sowing them? Have you tried that?
Bonnie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Bonnie -- i successfully WS"ed some. I think i got 6 babies... but i do not recall how many seeds were actually sown.

there is a bit of info on this subject in the Hosta forum... though they may have to be searched for.

If you need help finding some... i'm pretty good at searching.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

I've had fair results with winter sowing . The following page has links to grow seeds in greenhouse, inside, and outside. http://hostalibrary.org/growingseed.html

Foe anyone not familiar with the Hosta Library, I suggest you check it out. It's a wonderful resource for pictures and information.

mao

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Could I have some seeds please?
I can send payPal.
Pauletta

Emory, TX(Zone 8a)

Mao,

I would like to also send a SASBE for some hosta seeds! Thank you so much!

Carol

Pawleys Island, SC

Mao, I would love to have some of your hosta seeds too if you still have some. Please let me know. Thanks so much, Ibartoo.

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi ibartoo, Send one dollar from your bank account, NOT CREDIT CARD, by Paypal to maozamom@hotmail.com , or send sasbe

This message was edited Nov 13, 2008 10:25 AM

Pawleys Island, SC

Thanks, I will mail you a sasbe this afternoon. Linda

Flemingsburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I received my hosta seeds!!!
Thank you so much...
They were packaged so pretty...

Pauletta

Knoxville, TN

Received my seeds - will check out the library link you posted for tips. Thanks for the nice selection!
cj

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Got my seeds today. Cool packaging! Wish I could do that.
Bonnie

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much for the seeds. They were fantastic collections and yes cool packaging too! Again, thanks so much.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry this is so late. I was away helping out my parents in their poor health. I ust got through all my mail a day or so ago.....

I did receive your hosta seeds...what a creative way to package them! I thought that was so unique and I don't think I could ever replicate that as nice as you did that!

I look forward to sowing them soon. I really appreciate your generousity. I hope I can send or trade seeds with you sometime in the future.
Many many thanks...
RatherB

North Richland Hills, TX(Zone 8a)

Mao - do you happen to have any seeds left? I would love to try some out. Let me know and I'll send you a SASBE.

Thanks!
Jennifer

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

I have a huge amount of seeds yet. More than I can ever give away so don't worry about being late.

mao

Ames, NE(Zone 5b)

Mao
Glad to hear that. You have Dmail.

~Terry

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Mao - Can I get some too? I would love to try a few more Hostas in a shaded part of my garden bed. I can send a SASBE. Can you dmail me your mailing information? Or what would you prefer? Thank you!

Fantastic - thanks! For those of you who have already gotten these seeds - do you think a 4x8 bubble envy will be big enough for all 10 varieties?

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

The package is surprisingly small for 300 seeds. 4X8 is fine.

mao

Nilwood, IL(Zone 5b)

You will have a ball watching your seeds grow. I have for the last two yrs. I planted mine this yr in just my aquarium on Dec 6th, Some are already 3inches tall. I have more seed in the freezer that I will plant outside this spring. They grow so much faster outside. The seed will be good for three yrs in the freezer. BEV

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Hello,
Mao, do you still have any hosta seed available.
cj

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Mao, Would love to have some of the seeds if you have any left.

When do you start hostas? It sure would be nice to have something starting now with 3 feet of snow on the ground. I love starting seeds in the house.

Please let me know, Thanks, Jeanette

BTW, your hosta bed is gorgeous. How long have you been growing them there?

This message was edited Jan 24, 2009 3:03 PM

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

Check this site out for growing hosta from seed with three different methods. http://hostalibrary.org/growingseed.html
I've had great germination rates winter sowing too.

mao

Chalfont, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm also interested in your hosta seeds. I'll dmail you.

Snellville, GA(Zone 8a)

Mao, thank you so much for the seeds....the packaging was really cute.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6b)

I you have any seeds left, I sure would like a few.

Machesney Park, IL

Hi Mao, I guess I am dumb, but how do you collect seeds from hostas? Thanks Deb

Orrville, OH(Zone 5b)

In October the seed pods ,that rise above the leaves, start to open. I collect them and allow them to dry, then I clean the seeds and start packaging. That's it, pretty simple.

(Marymac) Statesvi, NC(Zone 7a)

Any seeds left? Would love to try some...Thanks

I got my seeds - thanks again so much!

I do have a question...I thought I had read somewhere that hostas don't come true from seed. Is this true? And if so, do the babies grown from seed generally have the same attributes as the mother plant - just not exactly? I don't really care if they "come true from seed", I think all hostas are lovely. Just curious more than anything.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I would imagine that is just like all other hybrids. Can't think why hostas would be any different. I think it will be fun just to see how they turn out.

Jeanette

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.