Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

This doesn't really qualify for this forum, but I was so happy with the look of the flowering kale I put in planters, I had to share a photo.

Thumbnail by LeawoodGardener
scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

That is just gorgeous! I need to run out and buy some!!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

It is quite an ornamental, but you can also eat it. Maybe not as good as curly kale, but it will do in a pinch.

Columbia Station, OH(Zone 5a)

That is so beautiful. I have never had any luck getting the seeds to germinate.

This message was edited Nov 5, 2008 8:55 PM

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

they are pretty good in salads in small amounts when very young--one way to thin the ornamentals when only 2-3 inches high.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I started growing Red Chidori kale as an ornamental 2-3 yrs ago and just learned it is edible too.
I'm growing it off in the veggie garden and will give it a taste test as soon as it gets big enough.

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

here's some interesting reading

http://www.hort.wisc.edu/mastergardener/Features/foliageplants/ornkale/ornkale.pdf

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

So pretty!

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the article, BigRed! I've used flowering kale for several years, but I think I'll expand my horizon with other items next year.

I planted a dozen red cabbage starts in my border garden this summer, as a distraction for the rabbits - I figured I could buy the cabbage starts for about 50 cents, and the echinacea the rabbits have been eating were about $10 per plant. Unfortunately, the rabbits seem to prefer the echinacea, but the cabbage looked nice.

Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

I have another variety of kale in a planter by my driveway.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

well,since we're showing our baby pictures....these are my ornamental cabbages after a couple weeks of cooler weather and a couple of frost. Pigeon Series. I had to tinker a bit w/ the color on Pigeon Purple and it's still not right but close....I guess

Pigeon Purple

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Pigeon Pink.

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Pigeon White...blushing some pink after some cold nights and a couple of frost

Thumbnail by bigred
Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

not cabbage or kale...gold leaf alpine strawberry w/ seasons end fruit

Thumbnail by bigred
Leawood, KS(Zone 5b)

How wonderful! Isn't it amazing how fall color develops? People visit my garden in the spring and summer, but not many come to see the beauty of fall, but I enjoy every moment of it. I can tell you do also.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Ilove fall....all the color just blazes

So do most of you do starts rather than seeds for the ornamental kale/cabbages?

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I grow all my cabbages and kales(ornamental and edible) from seeds. Starts,especially for the ornamentals are outrageously priced for a little bitty 4" pot.Started my seeds back in June in cell packs on my front porch.

good to hear that you've had success with seeds. there's no way I'd be able to find starts around here at the right time to plant them.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

I get my seeds from Germania. I finaly used up the package I bought from them 3 yrs ago w/ great germination after 3 yrs. Next year I'm going to try some of the other series.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.