looking for figs & hardy citrus

Coushatta, LA

I'm trying to find hardy citrus & figs that will grow in zone 8b louisianna.Sherwood Akins used to sale many types of hardy citrus but he died last fall and now hardy citrus is difficult to find.I have a greenhouse and know how to root citrus cuttings and grow them from seed.I also like to root fig cuttings.I need help finding hardy citrus and figs.Thanks alot.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I got my figs (Latarulla and Petite Nigra) from Edible Landscaping some years ago and they produce abundantly, supplying neighbors as well as me. As a Texas resident, I can't order citrus from out-of-state but have found Thompson's to be a good source (kumquats and Meyer lemon are doing well here) with a varied selection. I have an orange tree that I planted 12 years ago - don't remember where I got it - and it has a huge crop again this year. I have started a Rio Red grapefruit from seed and will wrap it for the first couple of winters. Calamondins can also take more cold.

Yuska

Coushatta, LA

Thanks for the info.If you like citrus try Owari, Brown's Select,Changsha and Ponkan.

New Iberia, LA

Cowpea
I would recommend McKenzie farm for cold hardy citrus. Ask for Stan McKenzie, he is good people and will treat your right. Stan and Sherwood, I believe were friends and he probably has some of Mr. Atkins trees.

http://www.worldwideplants.com/hardy_citrus.htm

I miss Mr. Akins. I learned a lot from him.
Oldude

Coushatta, LA

yes Mr Akins was a very cool person I miss him a lot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.