Hey All

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

We somehow over summer have lost our connection with alot of are good buddies. I am on the prowl to find then and get them back. Last year at this time we all where together. I am soo missing all of you who are MIA. I can make a list but I will not do that, you all know who you are. I know bad things have happen to each of us this last year, but I think we need to get back to what we love to do, enjoy each other and share.
I for one have had changes in the last year, that has been a change in life style for me, I hate having to be the last to post when all has gone to bed and to try to keep up the next day is a headache. but that is my problem, and I try to stay with you. But what about the others? What has happened that are not posting? Has someone said something to offend you? or is there something else?
Please
How can I/we get you back????????
And I know all the new DGers would love to hear you ideas, and to meet you, per-say.
Hugs to all you
Tills

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

Tilly, I know you work a long day and then have a long commute on top of it. I appreciate your cheerful notes from home when you get back over the water after work, and how much you care about people.

If I have said anything that bothered someone, or made them feel uncomfortable, I apologize.

One thing I'd like to see is a tour of each of out yards, kind of like Sherri (outamygourd) did when she needed landscaping plan/ideas. It would give a feel for what each of our home gardens is like and I could picture people there when they post. I've been kind of shy to do that myself since me yard is kind of a mess most of the time. Like this grape vine that really needed to be pruned, but it didn't happen in time.

Thumbnail by mauryhillfarm
Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I think most people are still around, Mary - I'm not posting as much as normal yet, but will before long I think. I have a lot of "firsts" to get through . . . I'll be so glad when they are over. I got through my birthday in September, Steve's is on Friday (I'll be in California), then thanksgiving, then Christmas. Yikes.

MHF, I love your idea of touring each other's gardens. My yard is a total disaster at the moment and probably won't get cleaned up until Spring, but I think I'd welcome everyone even with it in such disarray right now! I believe there are three Whidbey gardeners now so a trip to the island could encompass all three. Something fun to look forward to, that's for sure.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

You two are my heros, I am trying hard to bring us all back together. my yard is not a show case, will never be. but its mine just like yours its yours, and we love it no matter. I like the touring thing, would be fun. But who is going to come out to 'Tim Buck Too' to see mine LOL
I am glad this has work out so far .
Hugs
To you both.

Hiya everyone! Nice idea for a thread, Tills. I think people will be back. I know I try to check in on DG often, but I don't post as much as I did during the winter because I'm always out in the garden!
It's a great idea to do garden tours, or maybe photos of your favorite garden places where you are likely to be hanging out when not on-line on DG. I always end up photographing close up things and never really get to photograph the larger picture, so to speak. Maybe that's because, like you, Holly, my garden is rarely picture perfect! If I photograph a few plants here and there, no one gets to see all the crap laying around waiting for me to pick it up and do something with it! But just ask Rachel. She's been over here often enough to see the real garden.

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

I think virtual photo tours would be a great place to start. We can edit out the messier locations that way. :-) Then if we are able to do some garden visits in person it would be like going to a familiar place, and might appreciate it even more.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Hi,
I am new to gardening and would like to get to know you ladies. Gardening has become my passion and I am anxious to learn as much as I can. This is a pix of my little greenhouse stuffed full of new cuttings and some perennials. Thank you.

Thumbnail by LynnPhillips
Eugene, OR

Tills....that should make you really happy. You've brought a new person on board. Welcome Lynn. I've only been here a few months and can say this is a great bunch of gardeners! Touring sounds like fun and I need to do some cleaning up too.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

happy to have you here Lynn. I hope that you learn all that you want to. I'm glad that you're happy to meet all of us ladies here!! Be forwarned.... there's a few guys around here as well. Ahh nothing you need to be warned about though, they're all great as well.

Langley, WA(Zone 7b)

Maury, your grapevine looks neater than mine! It grew up into the maple on one side and into a yew on the other this year. I had smaller and less sweet grapes as a result. Will try and do better next year. Right now I'm cutting the vines and attempting my first grapevine wreath. I have it halfway done but decided to soak some of the vines first to see if they bend better. I also am soaking some hardy kiwi vines. They are cook because they grow wrapped around each other.

Lynn, your greenhouse is soooo cute! I need to get mine cleaned up. It was here when we moved in and I love it altho it is sort of a diy project and isn't the cutest. But if I kept it cleaned out and I was thinking to put white lights in it, it could look a lot better. Right now the rear door, which I keep open in the summer so it doesn't get too hot, has a nice blackberry bush growing in through it!

I am getting more back into gardening now. I just couldn't bring myself to face the garden for over a year now. But I have spent quite a bit of time cleaning the peony bed and planting some new ones, and also on a kitchen garden that we are redoing. It's 40' x 60' and we had it ploughed 2 weeks ago. I have a plan drawn out for it and we are in the process of stringing it out. Then I will start shoveling dirt around the make the beds, then cover for the winter and plant in the spring. I had hoped to get a few things in this fall (garlic for one) but when I went out to look for garlic, couldn't find what I wanted (long keepers).

The orig owners of this property were from England and put in expansive gardens. Their daughter worked at a nursery down the street and I think she brought them stuff that they just plopped into the ground willy nilly. So many things are so overgrown and crowding each other out. We have pulled out a lot of stuff but then weeds took over with a vengeance and it gets out of control. A couple areas I replanted have not done well at all, despite the fact that the soil is pretty good here (I amended it further) and I spent hundreds, if not thousands, of dollars on plants. So very discouraging.

Luckily this beautiful fall has made it easy to be outside. It has been way nicer here this fall than it was in the spring.

I ordered a ton of seeds in that recent summerhill seed co-op, so I will have fun getting them started in the greenhouse (if I can get it cleaned up!)

Dallas, OR(Zone 8a)

Mary, we are all here..but think we were out enjoying our gardens during October and the nice weather we had. Now that the normal PNW weather is upon us ( rainy & cold & yucky) ...I am sure there will be more chatter on DG as we stay indoors more and dream about our gardens in Spring. Can't wait for the bulbs to bloom! With the warmer weather we had in October, my daffs and tulips are already peeking out from under the ground. I told them to go back down for a little while, but they are not listening! It makes it difficult to do clean up & mulching as I do not want to step on the sprouts!!
I posted a short garden tour back on June 21. It was fun to go back to these threads and see everyones beautiful blooms. Sure wish the garden still looked like this!! Now it is mostly plant markers and dirt!
here is the link to when the garden looked better
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/860745/
ENJOY

Lynn, welcome - wonderful to have you here and your greenhouse is divine!!! I haven't been to Buckley in a long time, but my DH and I bought some gorgeous etched wine glasses there at an antique store. He died in July, but when I see those glasses in my china hutch, I remember the Sunday rides we used to take (especially in our earlier years together).

Gwen, the history of your place is fascinating and having seen your place, I know you and your DH are great gardeners. I haven't done much in my yard for over a year now either. Things had gotten behind even before Steve got sick (I was working part-time and going into town to take care of my parents), but once he was ill, the only yard accomplishment was mowing. I want to get his memorial garden at least outlined and covered with cardboard before winter sets in, but it may not happen!

It's nice to have everyone gathering here!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey Tils we love you too. It is kind of you to look for those who have posted less. I know that Carol and I are less excited about anything with our losses. I because of changes in life (more work) due to the increased costs of taking care of parents.I don't garden much the last year and haven't been involved in the give and take. My mind has been on work. So I'll try to harass and vilify you girls to keep the male side of this more active and I shall try to get involved with creativity.

Sofer, one post of harassment from you is equal to several such posts by other lesser males!
Welcome, Lynn! If you are a 'beginner', I'd say that you've begun with a vengence if your greenhouse is already that full. Welcome to our obsession! You'll find many experienced gardeners on this forum, all of us willing and able to share information and also plants!! Hurray! Another person to hand plants to!

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Where's the sun ? At least it is morning "real time" and not that silly useless daylight savings time. If those confused politicians have been saving daylight for so long when do we get it back ? and will there be any accumulated interest ? Besides that I wonder how Gwen's Aga is. My Japanese Maples are almost nekkid now, but they were clothed in marvelous color for awhile. From the pictures and comments it looks like the Green Elephant was fun. Wish I could have made it. Egad!! I just looked out my window and noticed the Witch hazel is nekked too. I sure did like her stunning Fall color. Is there hope for my little Staghorn fern that had to come inside ? It is nice and humid in the shower stall but sorta dim most of the time, and nice and light by the kitchen window but sorta dry. Why oh why have I been cursed without the room for a commercial greenhouse in the backyard? You'd think the subdivision developers would take that into consideration.

Well Tilly. I'm here. Physically old, mentally deranged and still planting more than my little lot can support. Happy election day to all. Sad to know we have the best politicians money can buy. Now didn't I read that somewhere ?

Marysville, WA(Zone 7a)

Oops, forgot to post the picture of my favorite Maple in her fall color.

Thumbnail by balvenie
Woodinville, WA(Zone 8b)

Robert - you WERE at the Green Elephant. I shared a couple pieces of your Comfrey with others. The ones your gave me are gong strong and the bunnies really seem to like it!!

Lynn, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have new faces here.

Don't panic, Mary. I can't imagine that anyone is so angry that they would just stop posting. As with everything, I think there's an ebb and flow to time available and activities, and, for gardeners, it is necessarily associated with the seasons.

Thanks for reminding us all to check in once in awhile.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Tillysrat, Mary, I have been sooo busy, you'd think I owned a nursery. I cleared a lot of property this last summer. with the help of my gardeners. I was able to accomplish more that I ever dreamed I could do. also the property in between my neighbor and us is cleared and rock walls were added along with walkways to connect my gardens with theirs. and I'm moving in plant material all winter and next spring. along with that I'm moving plant material into the areas that were cleared in my gardens. I've had several choice Heronswood purchases that require full sun, which I didn't have. so now they can reach their full potential in their new environment. I have several tours booked for next summer with the NWPA. I hope you all can check out what I've done, in the coming year. I really am going to visit some of your gardens when I can. I hope I won't be tied down as much as this last summer. I didn't take any time off. I still am dealing with lung problems. so I have appts. with Doctors and they're ordering tests all the time as things `evolve' ( I like that word ) I have to wear a filter mask when I'm working on most things, so I don't breath in compost, dust, cement dust, etc. their isn't much of that in the work I do, is there. the Doctor told me it would be better if I picked different hobbies. I agree, but there isn't anything else that I enjoy, so I'm sticking with it as long as I can. I just try to work smarter. like having the gardener spread compost instead of me doing it. I wear a respirator when working on my garden spheres. I've just started 3 new ones. but would like to have at least a dozen made up by spring to have for sale and have more in the landscape. well you all stay healthy and keep this tread going, regards, Hosta Jim

Jim, that was a nice article you had in the Perennial Post! And I'm sure just wearing a filter mask will help your health issues immensely.

Carnation, WA(Zone 7b)

What a great thread. I love the idea of a virtual tour of your gardens. I've not been here long enough to visit anyone and see first hand your wonderful spaces. Being a transplant- I'm still learning about PNW plants and seasons so your ideas and designs are all very helpful. I too like the edit opportunity as I seem to have 'stuff' all over the place, neat and tidy we are not yet.

Welcome Lynn, love your greenhouse.

Gwen I'd love to see your kitchen garden and hear your plant selections. As of last week, Crank Carl and Territorial Seed Co. still had some long keeping garlics in stock, you might try them if you're still looking. I'd love to hear about your Aga as well (photos please). We are missing ours very much with this cold, damp weather.

It is nice to have such a talkative group. You welcome newcomers and keep track of each other like neighbors.

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Murmur, thanks for the encouragement. they had the names wrong on the Hybrids, it's Blue Wu and Sizzle. I just found out that they won't be coming out until 2010. they put them into TC later than they had planned. they needed more dormant buds on the plant before initiating. I guess in this business there are always set backs. so you just have to go with it. I've started germinating my hybrid crosses, and already have some popping up. I have a lot more to go but I keep going through them and picking out the ones with the most potential. so I hope have some really cool ones in the spring. to show everyone. I wish I had more plant racks. but I have 5 shelves with 2 double florescent lights going 16 on 8 off. some of the growers leave them on 24/7 but I couldn't afford the light bill if I did that. I'll just stick with what I'm doing. Jim

South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice idea for a thread. I've been away for months too, but it's nice to come back and feel like all is the same. I think it's the most beautiful autumn we've had in years, so that explains why some are still out getting dirt under their nails instead of keyboards. How great to still be outside in early November on a sunny day! I know the rain is coming...and the wind, thunder, power outtages and all other winter joys, so the longer fall is nice for now.

Welcome to Lynn. I've always wanted a greenhouse and yours looks amazing.

Here are some colors from Olympia...

Thumbnail by galega

What a great photo - an gorgeous kitty!!!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

I am so happy to see you all, got tears in my eyes, Still missing a few I so hope they will join us.
I think putting my Tilly out there is the call to re-knight, I think I did it last year too.
Holly I love that idea, bad or good yards, then we can share ideas that we can do next year to some of those ' don't look over there' areas. Like some of mine that I still have a few junk cars in. LOL

Lynn, welcome, we are a fun bunch and we tend to go in 10 different directions in one tread, I get lost the most. ^_^

This is my woodland area started in march 08

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

This was before

Thumbnail by tillysrat
South Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8a)

Well now, you've given me fresh inspiration to get busy digging around those doug firs in my yard! What a great before and after!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Oh, forgot to say welcome back. love the kitty pic. that is just one of the projects done this year, have many to go.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you all for the warm reception. I am looking forward to many friendships here. Regarding my greenhouse- I am so proud of it- we bought it off Craig's List last year. We had to dismantle it and put it back together. We also bought a metal garden shed off Craig's. My hubby is so great - he attached the shed to one end of my greenhouse, removed an end panel from each structure, and now I can pass through to each.He cut holes on both sides of the greenhouse, installed windows, and built windowboxes for me. He then built a small deck off the shed so I can sit and enjoy my coffee in the garden. He also put together an arbor with a bench at the entrance of the greenhouse. The poles are up for an arbor at the deck end, but that is a project for next year. Unfortunately, the windows are leaking, that is why the tarp is draped over the roof as a temporary fix. I also put bubblewrap inside the greenhouse to help insulate it. I am so blessed to have Joe, he has been so supportive of my gardening "addiction". Hopefully he can retire soon, so he can have time for his hobbies.. He has been on the Tacoma Fire Dept for 26 years. The poor guy, he has braved freezing cold and blistering hot weather this past year to help me dig up all of the treasures we have found - bamboo, rhodies, azaleas, roses, hydrangeas, etc.
I am looking forward to sharing my bounty with you all. I took cuttings of so many things, don't know how successful I will be. Any ideas will be appreciated! Thank you again for sharing your time with me.

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Whoops, I attached the wrong picture. That is the front of our house. The greenhouse is barely visible on the right side of the pix. Here is the greenhouse pix I meant to send. I love looking at all the pictures you have posted.

Wow!!!!! Wow to both the front of your gorgeous home and to the fabulous greenhouse and shed. And even more wow to your great husband!!!!

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

O'My, what a wonderful place you have, we will so enjoy seeing it get filled in, and help with are plants to boot.
I will never show you a pic of my house LOL
I thought some of you would like this, I hope it works, if it does , I am going to go back in time and find all are great pics, to share again to all are new comers and to remember all are fun times.
http://picasaweb.google.com/home

Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Thank you for the compliments. I don't have any gardening friends, so I feel real honored to have met you guys. I feel especially grateful to you Tilly for starting this wonderful thread. I would love to share plants, we live on 5 acres, so there is a lot of room to grow! And that means I will have a lot of plants to give away. My favorite plants are the ones that have a story , not just going to a nursery and throwing them in a shopping cart. Tilly, the physical structure of your house is not what is important - it is who and what lives there that makes your home beautiful. I am sure yours is Gorgeous and I would love to see it. I went to that website to look at the pictures, but I couldn't figure out what to do once I was there.
THis picture shows the round patio Joe built me for my birthday in August. We bought the paver kit off Craigslist for $25.00! I have planted rosebushes, lavendar, dahlias and Volcano phlox nearby. This is in the front yard, but I enjoy sitting there amongst the flowers and on a clear day, we have a view of Mt. Rainier. The darn deer also enjoyed my roses this year, errrrr.

southern willamette , OR(Zone 7a)

What a wonderful place that you have there Lynn!! The next time I make a trip to Washington (gas needs to go down a little more) I'm coming to your place! Will bring plants! Where is Buckley? My relatives are in Toppenish and Yakima, so that's where I go when I'm in Wa. and that's a decent length of a drive. I'm guessing that Buckley is more north and definitely more west, judging by your landscape.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

You are right a home is a home, but Oooo I would love to have a real house, I have a mobile home 14x70 , but it is mine so to speak, I picked it LOL I have a acre of land 40+ behind me that is not mine. that is all wet lands. And the way it is. I cannot put anything bigger on it. unless we bulid up, don't want that, no stairs thank you. but happy to a point. LOL
Most all my plants have a story, where they came from and who I got them from. I like to share when I can, and I know a alot others that share alot.
This little guy was sent to me from England in a biscuit tube. he is my pride I also have Hells seeds some that are growing well and some that are not germed yet. can't wait takes 265 days to germ.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I forgot to welcome you Lynn. The home you have is gorgeous. All hubbies are wonderful and all men are spectacular in encouraging the women in our lives to garden. I am glad you have the perspective of Men being the best helpers of gardens and interests of their wives. LOL
Hey why don't you all get in a caravan and come to Montana and see my garden in June, July or August to see how people in Zone 4 survive the challenges of gardening. Just a thought. 8hrs from Seattle and you are there. Glacier park and lots to see. Several wonderful nurseries unique to your world in Pacific NW. All of them make a wonderful tour around Flathead lake for a long day of having fun. Steve

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Hey Steve, would love to live there, but home and job are here. But why would we go there? you are never home!!!
You have not answer my D-mail? is there a problem?

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Your GH looks allot like one of the Mia's, which I know where she is just had some surgery. I will leave it at that.

Thumbnail by tillysrat
Buckley, WA(Zone 7b)

Tillysrat Your little traveler is so cute., wow - 265 days to germinate. That takes a lot of patience. Last Feb,a man who sells palm trees in Seattle gave me some seeds that were under one of his trees, I planted them, gave up on them, and in July they emerged. Would you like one of my babies? We go to Poulsbo occasionally.
Redchic 01, I would love to have you as a guest. We have a guest room, and a motorhome, if you prefer more privacy. Stay and visit the area. We are about 45 min southeast of Seattle. Would you like a baby palm tree? Bring a big box, hopefully I will have a lot of new babies for you to take home.
Steve, Count me in if anyone wants to go to Montana! I can drive. I will have to look on the map- I think we will be going through Kalispell this summer (and probably Eugene). Joe and I are riding his new Goldwing to Oklahoma around 4th of July. We will be towing a trailer behind his motorcycle and will be gone 3 weeks. It will be hard to leave my garden for that long. We need to get a garden sitter, cat sitter, and a Mom sitter. (His 87 yr old mother lives with us.)

Here's a picture of my baby palm trees. I forgot what they are though. The mama was HUGE!

Vashon, WA(Zone 8b)

My goodness, so much happens while I'm at work for the day. Finally home after errands, going voting, etc.

Tilly, that before and after is pretty incredible and shows how much love you've put into that garden.

Gwen, 40X60! Wow! When you 'get back into gardening', you really do it.

Lynn, I love the arbor at the entrance to your greenhouse, with the benches to sit on and enjoy the garden. I dream of having one like that someday.

Galega, those are gorgeous maple leaves on the boulders.

Sofer, we have relatives to visit in Montana and South Dakota, and have made the drive quite a few times. We may just take you up some time as a place to stop and enjoy a little fresh air after the weary hours on the highway.

Jim, you better take care of those lungs! But you are right that you have to live your life doing the things you love to do.

Take care everyone.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8a)

Not that little one, the hells seeds she has sent me, so wish she would join us.
When is this trip? Would love to go, but got to put in my vac. time . I can drive, but at this point I lost my car, I blew it up, long story LOL
We had a bike a Goldwing but DH sold it wanting to buy a Harley, well that has never happend, we did win one in a contest, a Fatboy but to paid all the taxes and all we made a deal to sell it.
And would love one of the Palms, but a tender plant will not do well here I am thinking?
Thanks Holly, still have a long way to go.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.