IMPROVING MICROBIAL ACTIVITY IN SOIL

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

IMPROVEMENT OF MICROBIAL ACTIVITY IN SOILS

The USDA experiments have shown that in some areas earthworms convert 700 pounds of soil per acre, per day, into earthworm castings. These castings are generally mixed with the upper few inches of the native soil causing a build-up of improved fertel topsoil.

Chemical analysis of parent soil without microorganisms and earthworms and the same soil after it is worked by earthworms and microorganisms showed the following increases expressed in percentage of increase achieved:

Nitrate increase 500
Available phosphorus 700
Exchangable potassium 1200
Exchangeable calcium 150
Organic carbon 200
Available magnesium 200

If you do not do anything else build your soil to encourage worm activity and residence. This is done mostly by building organic content percentages and mulching year around. This is not rocket science. Anyone can do it.

Credit: Undated USDA article

This message was edited Nov 3, 2008 8:51 PM

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Doc, I'm a firm believer that earthworms are a good indicator of poor/healthy soil. When I first started gardening in my yard, 37 years ago, I did not turn up many earthworms when planting, when I started composting and spreading it in my flower beds the earthworm population grew and so did my plants.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

I heed the doc--one of my top ten tasks these days is add OM- I
On top of keeping all I have, 'm trying to get something weekly, whether coffee grounds, someone elses yard waste, I got produce waste from an organic market recently. That one was a bit iffy--seven big heavy, produce boxes of variably fresh to slimy trimmings, eggsshells, grounds, off produce....I took them WAY back in the garden. They did make a nice moist addition to my bins. Helpful in dry-leaf season.

doc- I appreciate your "words from the wise"

This message was edited Nov 4, 2008 11:39 AM

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, 3 years ago when I moved here there was not a worm to be found anywhere. Each year I have mulched and added composted leaves to all of the beds. Now there are worms everywhere!!!!! I've been visiting 3 Starbucks a week and my shrubs are greatly appreciating their Java!! Thanks for the reminder to stay vigilant.

stormyla- how do your SB handle it? I've been going in early afternoon, and they always hop-to-it and give me whatever's in a big trash can bag, which may be 2-4 gallons. Today I may go in at 4:30 and see if its a bigger haul.

NORTH CENTRAL, PA(Zone 5a)

All who are enjoying Starbucks coffee grounds need to know that the program depends on the local management. True it is a national statement but it is not a manditory program. Thanks is always in order.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Doc, I am always thankful in Starbucks. Usually all of the staff end up talking gardening. The tip jar is always enriched when I leave grinds and latte in hands!!

Sally, I have pretty much the same experience as you, except that I go at all different times. The night shift shortly before closing seems to have the biggest haul.

That's what I've been thinking- that some days that can may fill up all day til cleanup time.
Yes, doc, this one didn't do grounds before but have recently changed their tune.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I've hit paydirt!!!! My landscaper friend told me that they have to pay $50 per DUMP truckload to dispose of the leaves that they vacumn up from Office complexes. He's promised me 2 truckloads next week dumped at the location of my choice. He assures me there is no BW. Do you know a landscaper?

I asked him if he got paid by the mulch company for the leaves because when shopping for mushroom soil, I found that they will pay me $25 a pickup bed for branches.Since I'm pruning all of the trees now, this will make the mushroom soil free. I've been dropping them at the township's mulch site. He said they have to pay them to take the leaves and then have to buy them back after they've been composted.

No more rushing out to the curb with wheel barrow trying to get everybody's leaves before the truck comes.

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Be careful picking up bags of leaves from the curb in neighborhoods you don't know. I read a murder mystery once where a lady did that and got more then she bargained for. Started out she found body parts in some of the bags. LOL May still have the book if any one is interested.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sounds like a great read Lady! I thought you were going to say she found a murder weapon. Body parts would make great soil enrichers, but would probably attract unwanted visitors!!!! LOL

Wow stormyla- you're set! Actually, I do know a lawn guy, lives in the neighborhood...if I needed grass clippings and leaf bags I imagine he'd oblige. Hmm...next association meeting is at his house, even.
I have two neighbors 'signed up " for my program--let me have the bags. That's about all I can handle. It'd be smart if I could incorporate more compost piles in different parts of the yard, so I wouldn't be carting the finished stuff as far.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Sally, I'm going to grind most of them to mulch my big bed. Some will get composted.

Now that you mention that, if I got industrious, I could mulch with the mower and blow a lot into my treed edge, under an oak and two maples.
Very cool that the mushroom guys will buy your branches.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Apparently it's very common at the places that make mulch and sell by the truckload. Try looking for one in your area.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.