When The Morning Glory Dies ... a Poem

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

... Here is a Poem I wrote a few years ago dedicated to my Rose...she is really doing great.

10-30-1993

The day is gray and windy, and the maple says to the oak-

when the morning glory dies, then so shall I

The leaves they fall, blown into the wind-

crying out the summers' end. Shards of sunlight break thru the clouds-

giving hope of warmth to the shriveling shrouds.

The morning Glorys' blue trumpet still sings its' song--- good-bye my friend , but not for long.

winter comes slowly, but disappears fast--and then I can stretch and bloom at last.

Debra Carson

Thumbnail by joeswife
Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I enjoyed your poem Debra. You have a knack for writing poetry.

(Zone 7a)

Debra, your poem catches the mood of this time of year so well. I think I'd be too blind to see flowers at all, if I couldn't see them with my imagination. Speaking of talking flowers, here's a free, online book about how the flowers became human and the adventures they had while they were at it - just follow links for The Flowers Personified -

http://www.earthlypursuits.com/Books/OldBooklibrary.htm

might be fun to read when we're really getting stir-crazy around January or February - nice to share with children

Thanks for your poem, Debra - most welcome

Karen

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Very nice!

Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Send it in to the local paper or to BlueRidge Magazine - it is lovely and should be shared with many.

(Becky) in Sebastian, FL(Zone 10a)

Debra - I liked it! Your poem was well written and I enjoyed the visions winter's approach that popped into my mind as I read it. :-)

Thanks Debra for sharing that~very much happens for all when one shares like this.
:Darren

Thanks, everyone.. I am glad you shared a few minutes with me to read this. I love morning glorys. Always have, always will....
A morning glory signifies a few things to me:

rebirth, growth, determination, intermingling, beauty, strength, overbearing, searching, surprising, gracefulness, robust,
independent,spring, summer, fall, winter, colours, depth, soft, ,joy, constant, friend.

Thumbnail by joeswife
Cayuga, IN

Debra, I enjoyed your poem, it was so meaning full and so true.

I read this poem last fall, and will continue to read it every fall.. now on to Spring!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.