Garlic question

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I may have already asked this question and if so please forgive me for repeating it. A mind is a terrible thing to lose. My question is about planting my garlic. I have the bed ready but I got to wondering. It is the same bed I need to plant my tomatoes in come Spring. Will the garlic be ready to harvest before the tomatoes are ready to plant?

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Garlic needs the space until July-August even down here, so I would think the same is true there.

Garlic is not real picky about location for me as long as its located somewhere with good drainage, good sun, and will remain fairly dry during the summer, so you might could tuck them someplace else.
Debbie

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the info. I will put them in another place I have ready. It's on the end of a flowerbed. I had beans there last year. I sowed some mixed lettuce seed there a couple of weeks ago hoping to get some for cold weather but it doesn't look like that is going to happen so I'll put the garlic in there.

So here is another question for the tomato bed. Would it be good to plant some mustard or turnip greens in the tomato bed as a cover crop for the winter months? I don't eat them but my rabbit, chickens and turtle would like them.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know about the cover crop question--but I'm sure its worth it for the pets sake.
Debbie
=)

Mattoon, IL(Zone 5b)

No. I would space your garlic planting to allow room for your spring tomato plants. Your garlic will be mature by June's end or early July and can be lifted for more room in tomato area. They are compatible . You could then plant lettuce in the shade of your tomatoes for better use of your space.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

I planted my garlic a couple of months ago. When should I be seeing some growth? The ground has frozen a couple of inches deep on several occassions since then. Might that have killed my little bulbs?

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

Your bulbs are fine, you won't see anything until the ground thaws and starts to warm up.

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Thanks for giving me hope again. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.