Makeshift Greenhouse

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Here are the original plans Tom used at first. We can get bad storms here in the winter with bad winds so he puts down cement blocks or even bags of soil along the sides on the plastic that is extra and is on the ground to make sure the hoophouse says on the ground. So do not cut the plastic too short.

http://westsidegardener.com/howto/hoophouse.html

When the search function comes back, I know there are a few good threads on this.

This message was edited Nov 24, 2008 1:30 AM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Kell, thanks for the link. Wish I had known about this before we purchased the Rion Easy Grow.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Kell, thanks for all of the info. It is sincerely appreciated!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It snowed last night and the GH held up fine. Everything was toasty and warm!

See my other thread "Snow in Texas" on this forum for more pictures.

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

So glad everything stayed warm and happy under the greenhouse. Next year you are going to have to cover the whole garden if you keep having such crazy weather!

We have had RAIN today - and thunder and lightening - first real rain since last December when we had flooding. The plants are all washed off and look so much brighter despite the dim light. Visitors who have come for a week's holiday are not very happy - forcast says rain through the weekend for us - mind you the forcasters are not very often right here on Maui. ^_^

Keaau, HI

Hey Jen, now we're getting heavy rain and lightning, and the news stations all said it wouldn't hit here! My dogs always get real nervous in these storms.

LOL, Dave, it looks as if your forcasters aren't any better than ours! This morning looks cloudy, but more settled - we have sent most of it over to you! There is a great big moon hanging over the sea right now, it's beautiful!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I saw that moon last night. It is 11:03 AM here, Jen. So you are at 7:03 AM?

Keaau, HI

We had a bunch of rain last night, but the lightning stayed out at sea. When lightning does show up this area seems to get it the worst. Can't complain about the rain; it's good to have the catchment tank full!

Keaau, HI

It's just after 7:00 in Hawai'i LouC.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

What I would give to live in the islands....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Me too, Lou! I'd definately give up the snow we had. It melted by noon the next day.

I heard on the news that parts of Hawaii had flooded. Are Y'all OK.....Carol, Jen, and Dave?

Keaau, HI

No damage here just wet. To keep in good holiday spirits, lets call it a nice dry rain!

Mele Kalikimaka! Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

Don't forget to sweep your house out on the Winter Solstice (21st). It is good luck!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Mele Kalikimaka to you too! We were on Oahu for three Christmases.....1963, 64, and 65. We came back to the mainland in April 1966. They were all three wonderful! Green and Bright.....just the way I like my Christmas! The sun will shine by day and the stars by night......Mele Kalikimaka to you!

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

I love the rhythm of the language. Mele Kalikimaka is like a song. Need to play IZ today. He makes me so tranquil and happy.

Princess Kilikina

Aloha, no flooding here on Maui - I think there was some flooding on Oahu though. Maui County seems to get the least amount of rain of all the Islands, even on our windward side, although I believe there is somewhere in the West Maui Mountains that gets copious amounts. I wonder if it's because we sit back in the curve of the Island chain?

The garden has all been washed clean of the dust that has accumulated over the past year and everything looks fresh. When we have a good rain like this all the weed seed that has been waiting, springs to life. I have "gardened" many places in the world but I have never seen weeds that spring to life and try to set seed overnight as they do here - even faster than Arizona weeds! They know they have to take advantage while they can!

I expect in a day or two all the grasses and Kiave trees that have been brown all year will be green, and the hillsides will look lush again. This usually causes an explosion in the mouse population which eventually makes it's way into our area (which is considered rural) and then into town ....

Oh, it's still pitch dark here (almost 6am) and an owl has just passed by my window so close that I could have touched it...how wonderful!

Off to La Perouse early this morning to see if the dolphins are in, and to look for whales. One of our friends who is so enamored with whales that he is known as "Willy The Whale", is taking his boat out today ...

Have a wonderful day everyone.

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Wonderful....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hope you both had a great day!

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Our first chook pen was a swing set that had bird wire wrapped completely around it (bottom and all) We added a door, added a few reinforcing bits and sewed the joins with fencing wire.It's lasted for years and kept the pythons out. They are fabulous for instant hot houses, shadehouses and small movable pens. Cheers, Ann

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL, Ann! What a wonderful idea, Mate! I don't have any chooks, just tropical plants that need to be comfy cozy until March! So far it is working out great.

The last upgrade to Gorilla tape has held the plastic shower curtains nice and snug. It is more like the 100 mph tape that Shari suggested. I got it at Lowe's. You can order the 100 mph tape online. It's heavy so shipping might be costly!

We did add some more tent stakes to secure the plastic shower curtains down tighter tonight. We're supposed to get another cold front in this week. We've been busy getting ready for Christmas with projects for the grandchildren so haven't been on much. Good to hear from everyone, Jen, Christi, Ann, hope you are all doing well!

Merry Christmas to everyone!!!!!!

Jeanne

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi all! Medde Cridgemodge, Mele Kalikimaka, Joyeaux Noel, Feliz Navidad!!!!

Merry Christmas!!!!

I have missed you all terribly! We had some serious flooding on one of the other islands here, and we were pretty worried about ourselves! Got all the stuff up in the warehouse and the handicraft shop, helped some friends that live oceanside get their stuff up on cinder blocks...but the waves came close but not over the seawall. Great entertainment for a couple of days though!

We had our island helicopter drop of Christmas goodies to two of the outer islands two days ago...Christi you remember - I told you how wonderful that was to be involved with. And then yesterday we had a huge toy sale for the Marshalese on our neighbor island Ebeye. Today I got a shipment of handicrafts in and had to get them priced and in the shop for those last minute shoppers...a few huge carved fish (4-5 ft!), more pepper and some other little things. I'm pooped! Just wanted to stop by and say "Happy Holidays" everyone!

Yokwe,
Shari

Mele Kalikimaka to all of you dear people on this forum, and may 2009 be bright and joyful.

Warmest aloha,

Jenn

spelling!

This message was edited Dec 23, 2008 6:24 AM

Desoto, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Jenny.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you everyone! We had a wonderful Christmas! Hope everyone did also!

Sorry Shari to hear the bad news of the near flooding / good news (that you are OK)!

Happy New Year everyone!

Alexandria, LA

Hey all, new to this forum, and love the idea Texasgal has on the greenhouse. I am in central Louisiana, and I believe this idea would work for me as well. Have to give it a try.

Texasgal, will you try any vegetables in yours, and if so, what do you have in mind? Thanks for any info, Dona.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Dona, no, presently it is crammed full of tropical plants until March 17th. Normally we don't have a freeze after that date.....maybe April 1st.

I had thought about covering the swingset frame and then saw where Joannabanana had done it and posted the picture. There are many different ways to accomplish it. Using the straight run of plastic would probably be the better bet.

DS wrapped the sides like you would a present, and then we taped down the main overlap to the sides. Because I had used the shower curtains I had to tape the top also. With a straight roll of plastic you wouldn't have that problem.

It does get quite warm in there. When I go open it up in the day you can feel the heat coming out and I don't have a heater in there!

It's worked great so far (even thru the snow!).

Jeanne

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Just an update...we have a cold front coming in, so good thing the babies are still under "wraps". Had to repair the right front corner. The old silver duct tape had come loose, so it got a retaping. I will have to go back to Lowe's and get some more gorrilla tape. It's supposed to be down to 29 Thurs night for 6-9 hrs.

I have a few pineapple plants I guess I'll go ahead and bring in the garage. I don't think they'll fit in either of the two makeshift GH.

Just a few more weeks until March 17. We usually don't have a freeze after that.
It won't be much longer. We're getting there!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Hallelujah! Spring is here! We have removed the plastic and tape from the "Swinghouse" and the plastic from the "Hut".

Most of the plants survived fine. They can now get water when it rains. They will get moved to their new locations at a later date. I'm still a little "under the weather" so to speak at the moment.

It was really nice to have the patio open and to be able to go out there and sit with a cup of coffee or soda. In previous years it was the "makeshift" gh.

We will reconsider the plans to hook the plastic to the top of the swingset next year, but it worked, and the total cost was minor compared to what a new gh would have cost! Thanks JoannaBanana for the idea! It worked!!!!!!!!

Will get pictures later!

Thumbnail by Texasgal77
Richland, MI(Zone 5b)

happy spring, Jeanne! Hope you feel better soon!
Hugs,
Alex

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Alex!

I have watched you making your greenhouse from the begining and think it's wonderful! Well done Jeanne - it's brilliant!

I hope you don't mind me adding a picture taken off the lanai yesterday - rather an overcast day and an untidy tangle, but the bees were deliriously happy!

Thumbnail by Braveheartsmom
Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Oh WOW, Jen, that is GORGEOUS! Thanks for posting....surely made my day!

That's a great "Get Well thought!" That will boost your adrenlin!!!!!! WOW!

Love it!

Jeanne

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi Jeanne, Hi Jen! Jeanne...I'm so glad that your makeshift GH worked for you! It was a lot of work, but obviously worth it. Well done!

Jen - what a glorious sight! And I bet the scent is fantastic as well. I sure wish I could get my brugs that you sent to bloom. A couple of them are doing really well as far as growth and healthy leaves...but no blooms. Unfortunately the ones that did bloom also died shortly after. Guess our environment is just too harsh, or I am just too dumb to grow those gorgeous plants.

Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari, I don't think that you are "too dumb". If mine have made it, anybody can do it! I'm sure your conditions are too harsh!!

Good to hear from you! The weather here has been wonderful. The wind has torn up our hut, so it will have to be fixed. It got kind of cool last night, so I hope everything is OK. It's a little warmer tonight. It should continually warm up from here.

Hope y'all are OK!

Jeanne

el arish, FNQ, Australia

Wow Jen! Those brugs look happy :) Ann

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Just an update on our "wonderful weather".....we've had storms for two days. The back yard looked like a lake. Our street was flooded and the water was up in the middle of the drive and yard.

We didn't lose power, but it did knock out alot of the neighborhood phone lines. Ours are OK tho.

Otherwise we are all fine.

Jeanne

Thumbnail by Texasgal77

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.