Fall garden scenes

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Since our "blooming in__" threads are mostly plant portraits( which I think is a great idea BTW) I thought we could have another for wider garden views.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by chamthy
Kannapolis, NC

Chamthy: Lovely scenes. I don't have any current broad views :-(

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Hemophobic! I've really been enjoying fall this year. The drought put such a damper on the last couple of years that it seems brand new to me,lol. Well actually this is the first year I've been able to enjoy many of these perennials even though I planted them long ago:)

Thumbnail by chamthy
Kannapolis, NC

I do have some scenes from my Asheville garden that I took earlier this week. These will suffice, I think. Here's one.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Kannapolis, NC

Here's a different view of the same garden.

Thumbnail by Hemophobic
Smithfield, NC

This is a very broad view, taken last month from an upstairs window when the Bidens were in full bloom. My neighbor's pasture is to the right and our pasture with the 4 board fence is straight ahead in the distance.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

View through big perennial bed toward Bidens next to neighbor's pasture.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Looking toward my pasture.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

The broad view with the Bidens blooming looks like a painting at first glance. What a beautiful and peaceful looking scene! I love the other views as well but that first one is so striking.

Hemophobic- your Russian Sage is very nice. I'll need to replace mine pretty soon I think. It's getting smaller every year.

I took this picture this morning of my largest bed. I'd better enjoy it while it lasts

Thumbnail by chamthy
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful! All of the gardens are lovely; Fall is definitely my favorite season. I only have 2 dogwoods that are turning color and that is the extent of fall gardening down here. The dogwoods don't even look pretty because they get ratty looking along the coast down here; the soil is too salty for them.

On the other hand, I'll have some great photos of my citrus fruit shortly. I usually harvest the first fruits for Thanksgiving.

Smithfield, NC

Thanks Shari! I really like the shot of your big bed -- very nice!

Kannapolis, NC

Lovely, everyone. Sweetbay, you must have a huge gardening area. I envy you that. DH wants to keep our large yard in just grass. I'll keep adding some along the side, hoping he doesn't notice that I'm encroaching on the grassy area!

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

My Sunset Red maple turns quickly and is gone fast. I'm glad it happened on a weekend this year.

Thumbnail by chamthy
Hillsborough, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Everyone
Great photos. This won't look so hot - I was too lazy to take down the screen --but this is my autumn scene....leaves in the gutter from upstairs!

This message was edited Oct 27, 2008 8:23 AM

Thumbnail by missingrosie

to make up for the blur --I'll send another autumn scene.

And another -- as you can see my flowers have mostly pooped out.

We netted the stream -- the leaves look pretty hovering above the water. This was about a minute AFTER the leaves were blown off! It builds up quickly.

Smithfield, NC

Cosmos and Purple Cleome next to the horse paddock.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

The border next to the vegetable garden: tall orange Cosmos and "Violet Queen" Zinnia, with Verbena bonariensis and Ruellia brittoniana.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Another pic of Pineapple Sage with White Lespedeza and orange Cosmos.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Muhlenbergia capillaris and filipes with the last of the pink Seashore Mallow.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Muhlenbergia capillaris and lindheimeri.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103

SweetB -
Are all your plants deer resistant? Everything looks so beautiful.

Winston Salem, NC

My new favorite is .muhly grass. Check out my blog for more on drought tolerant gardening, rain barrels, etc. www.kirbyplant.blogspot.com

This message was edited Oct 27, 2008 10:22 AM

Thumbnail by sawpalm
Smithfield, NC

Thank you missingrosie! I have a mix of things that are deer resistant and not; most of my farm lies in a stream valley that cannot be developed because most of it's in the floodplain and my farm (54 acres) is only a very small part of the stream valley. So we have a lot of deer but they have a lot to eat other than the garden. Winter is basically the only time I have trouble with deer, so I spray the azaleas with a combination of mint and hot pepper and that works. The people all around us hunt, which helps with the deer numbers. You should hear the guns on a Sat. morning! My husband grew up in the country and he says he's never heard so much shooting. I think most of the shooting is a signal for someone to come pick them up after the sun has come up. Haven't they heard of cell phones? lol (I know they all have cell phones on them.)

The deer we have here are like deer in many places, not very afraid of people. Still don't see all that many bucks though. They are so much more wary.

Smithfield, NC

Lovely shot of the muhly grass sawpalm. :)

This year for the first time we have seen several bucks --- in groups of sometimes three or four with the females - very unusual to see in groups and to see so many. Also the fawns have been out and not hidden in the grass as we are used to. Our property backs to a conservation area 110 acres and so there should be plenty to eat --besides my garden!! But, I am slowly just trying to live with what can be grown and not - that is why I was wondering about your area. Everything looks so beautiful and UNTOUCHED!

I agree about the shooting --- last evening ALMOST DARK there were repeated shots... like an automatic of some sort. I thought that was not legal to use those repeating guns -- and for those who hunt --is that sporting? I confess to knowing nothing about hunting but it was sort of unnerving to hear the guns going off like that in the forest with no break between shots. Anyway, I am off this thread intent -- everyone - your gardens and autumn scenes are beautiful and very peaceful.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

missingrosie don't worry about getting off topic. I don't think there's enough traffic on this forum for it to matter. I started the thread anyway and I say talk away,lol. Your place looks beautiful. I like the stream and envy your trees and leaves:)

sawpalm- nice muhly! It's beautiful backlit by the sun.

sweetbay- I love the Lindheimer's muhly with the capillaris. Nice combo.

Columbia, SC

Thanks for sharing the wonderful photos! I'm sighing with pleasure~

Smithfield, NC

missrosie that is a lovely woodland scene. I love the mermaid sculpture. What is the plant under the small tree to the left in the third picture?

The mermaid is iron and is rusting -- she looks good in the autumn with the leaf colors.

The plant is Blue Star Amsonia; it spreads easily (and all the four legged creatures leave it alone.)

Smithfield, NC

My Blue Star Amsonia went dormant ages ago (hopefully it's not dead). Not sure if the Hubrect's is going to change color or the leaves are just going to fall off, lol.

I'd love to add some yard art but haven't quite gotten around to it yet. We did buy my FIL an iron piece that says "Gone Fishing" and has a man in a boat hauling in a ginormous fish. We wondered if he'd fuss because it's iron and rusty (although I love that look) but he loves it.

This message was edited Oct 29, 2008 8:40 AM

Smithfield, NC

Brazilian Blue Sage with Buddleia "Potter's Purple."

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Looking through the trellis

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

I took this photo a couple of weeks ago -- Swamp Sunflower with Panicum "Cloud Nine" and Buddleia "Potter's Purple". Now the Swamp Sunflower is done and the Miss Bessie's Aster in the foreground has started blooming.

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

I like the picture looking through the trellis. I'm sure that is a very different picture in spring.

I would love to see a picture of Miss Bessie's Aster in bloom. Does it bloom right on through the earliest cold weather? I have been so impressed by both the Aromatic and Georgia asters this year. They've been blooming a good while and still look great.

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

The beautiful tree in this picture is a borrowed view from my neighbor. I appreciate the background:)

Thumbnail by chamthy
Smithfield, NC

What is the tree in the background? Very nice color.

The Miss Bessie's Aster does bloom right through frosts; in fact I'm not sure I've ever seen cold cut it down. I'll take some pics tomorrow. It's not quite in full bloom yet but getting there.

Another picture of the muhlies:

Thumbnail by sweetbay103

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.