Salted PE CAHN Mission #1 continued

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

What is a "pencil tree"?

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

This is a pencil tree.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/53909/

It's cool!

Clarksburg, MO

Any more chickies Commander Moxon? We are waiting for pics!

Sheila

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yes!! One more chickie! I'll go take a pic. The last egg I cracked and it was dead. It nearly made it. :-( The chick was pretty much fully formed. I guess something went wrong right at the end. The seller told me that the darkest one is female, the lighter partridge one is male, and the other 2 are wheatens.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here they are, the 4 of them.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here they are top view, so you can see the color variation

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

One of them is doing this weird thing with its foot - see pic below. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Lodi, United States

This is the best site I have found for splayed legs/curled toes/hatching help--even though it is about Silkies. There is also the possibility that it is nerve damage or a hip malformation. How does it move?

http://www.silkiechickens.com/learn.htm

(Zone 7b)

Curled toes are genetic

Lodi, United States

They can be--or the result of incubation problems. Here's the link that shows the way to splint spraddle legs and boot curled toes.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKRaisingChicks.html

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Thanks for this help - I am going to go try the tape method. The lavender silkies on that site, by the way, are FAB! I want one!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yes, it was moving normally - just had the toes curled to the side. So I made the tape "boot" type of thing and it is still moving essentially normally. It seems to sort of "trip" on that foot sometimes but otherwise it's fine. I hope that will work in a few days. I will take it off next week sometime and see.

Thanks!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

A lil tape sandal.. LOL I think it's quite fashionable!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

All the Rodeo Drive chicks have one. Even Lindsay Leghorn, I mean Lohan....

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

Queen Mom Fran here.. ready to present to the world.. the ROYAL FAMILY..

Thumbnail by frans530
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

chick 2

Thumbnail by frans530
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

chick 3

Thumbnail by frans530
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

and finaly chick 4
we still have 4 eggs to go.

Thumbnail by frans530
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Congrats Queen Mother Fran! They are gorgeous!!! Chick 4 is very different from chicks 1-3. Whats up with that?! Was that hen hanging out with the milkman? LOL!

Lodi, CA(Zone 9b)

They are darling Fran! Congratulations!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

shhhhh, only 1 belongs to Shelby.. the rest were dropoffs.. remember, Advil kept going up and adding eggs to Shelby's nest.. I think #4 belongs to Shelby.. the others could have daddy's ranging from the black silkie (Simon) the red silkie (Twitch) or the barred rock (Nemo).. Advil is a little loose when it comes to the barnyard.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OOoohh! Advil!! I guess everybody needs something for their headache now and then!

The first 3 look like they'll be partridge.

I like Twitch - I remember his photo.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

yea well.. she left 7 eggs behind.. before I finally put a piece of wood where she could get to Shelby's nest.. thats when Advil decided to set for herself.. she is setting on 2 eggs right now.. not sure when shes due.. will have to add the days.. I believe late next week though.

(Zone 7b)

I want #2 that looks like a partridge.

Congratulations Fran are you brooding the babys while Shelby waits on the rest?

[Edited to say brooding and not broody]

This message was edited Oct 23, 2008 9:44 PM

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

We are all working together.. Shelby and I that is.. she will allow me to occupy them while she runs to eat drink & empty.. I notice she lets them wonder just a little around her.. but she is still sitting..

So not knowing what we are doing with no manual.. we are learning together!

She's such a good soft spoken mom.. what a pretty little coo voice.. I just want to record it.. I could sleep to those soft words she speaks.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Fran I think they will need food and water soon. She may be waiting on the other eggs and the chicks might get neglected as a result because she isn't taking them for water or whatever. I would consider getting those other eggs into a 'bator and letting her deal with the hatched chicks and not worry about the other eggs. But that's just my opinion. I am not experienced in this - just what I have read.

(Zone 7b)

I agree with Claire those chicks may not be able to wait on the others to hatch they only get enough from their yolk sack to last 24 hours.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

me neither.. ,, they do have food & water.. will make sure they are eating & drinking..

Harmony.. it is 72 hrs, not 24

(Zone 7b)

I hope this turns out the way you want it fran and i will be thinking of those chicks and hopeing for the best.

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm on it... it will be fine.. not to worry.. one of us mothers will catch whatever the other misses!!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

congrats. on all the new chicks!

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh, everybody's having babies! I love the pictures of all the new chicks! I don't plan to hatch chicks myself, but then... neither did Commander Moxon...

CPO Pastrypuff still entirely chickenless, and requesting permission to take a week's leave to visit elderly mother in Missouri. She took care of the family chickens during great depression so sincerely feel visit will not detract from poultric duties during the course of time applicable sir yes sir.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

CPO Pastrypuff, i am only a lowly captain, but am certain permission for you trip will be granted.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Commander Moxon hereby grants CPO Pastrypuff permission for the week's leave, but suggests that she learn any useful information from her dear mother that could be useful to the chicken crew. Also suggest taking the rural drive to get there and watch for "Chickens for sale" signs along the way. You never know when a "rescue" opportunity will arise.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Will load portable chicken rescue unit (aka dog kennel) into transportation unit (aka toyota) should secret reconnaisance mission prove successful sir yes sir. Have heard there may be chickens in Missouri and will be on high alert.

Semper featheris!

Clarksburg, MO

Brigidlily-

Where are you coming in Missouri????? I live smack dab in the middle.

Sheila

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

Driving to Cape Girardeau this weekend. I visit my mother for a week once a year -- she'll be 89 in December. I spent summers in south central MO when I was a kid; that's where my uncle's farm was.

Clarksburg, MO

Well you are coming at the perfect time. All the trees have started turning and the air has a crisp fall scent to it. (oh wait that might be chicken poop is smell) Any way hope you enjoy your visit.

Sheila

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Brigidlili, You wont be to far from me! I live in Dyersburg, Tn, right across (down) the river from Cape!
Audrey

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

CPO Pastrypuff reporting for duty. Returned from MO mission before getting reconnaisance information from Doe, unfortunately. Had a good visit but that is one dadgummed long drive. Whew!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.