Salted PE CAHN Mission #1 continued

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

OK, other thread was too long. We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/915431/

Here is a picture of the wheaten and partridge chick dry, but pre-fluffing.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is the TWT

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is the wheaten on the TWT, pre fluffing

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

and post fluffing

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is the baby chick fluff that gets left on the TWT.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Here is the partridge pre fluff

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

and post-fluff

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I think you can see how the fluffing makes the downy fur all puffed out and that traps warm air better than when it is kind of stuck to them, so that they stay warmer that way. Now they are on a polar fleece blanket inside a brooder that is toasty warm. Happy chicks!

And here is their friend - looks like another wheaten, about to pop.

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Thanks so much CPO CMoxon. CFTbj arise from your sick bed!!! You just gotta see the fluffering and fluffed chicks!! I'm snowbirding. Do you think there would be an opportunity for fluffer consulting in the south (sort like midwifery but way better!). Look how little they are compared to your hand!!! You would have to be so gentle! Do you sing? I would sing as I fluffed. I think it would be sooothing. They look so calm after fluffing. This would just a be a gooder feeling all around methinks. I just luv the TWT too! oh sigh I think I've found my calling. I wonder if they need fluffers for northern chickens? I could VOLUNTEER!!! OMG I'm so excited I can't stand it!!!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I am sure there are plenty of chicken hatchers needing fluffing consultations in Canada also. These are big chicks. You should see the bantam chicks. They are way way tiny!
I have not previously sung as I fluffed. It would be soothing in general perhaps, but you have not heard me try to sing. I am not sure about its soothing quality!

I'm so pleased to be making progress with your conversion to chicken-addict like the rest of us! You're doing so well! Volunteering for fluffing is a big step!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Third one out now. Wheaten. Needs to dry off first.

Neither of the 2 remaining eggs are pipped. Possible duds. More penedesenca eggs in shipping to me now, and so hopefully I will get more out of this next batch. Will report if any more pips tomorrow morning.

This Commander needs to hit the hay....

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Sir I hope 'duds' means unfertalized eggs and not chicks in trauma? I am a little nervous about the tinyness of chicks. I'm quite clutzy but my singing might make up for that? I'm not an exceptionally good singer mind you but I give it my all. I have germinated alot of seed with singing so I have hope.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

you could come down here and sing to my seeds. if i sing all the dogs for 10 miles around howl

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Good morning ground crews.
Where is everybody?
Here is a picture of all 3 penedesenca hatchlings. It would appear that I may have been wrong in my assumption yesterday when I said one was wheaten and one was partridge. They might be two different shades of partridge, because todays REALLY looks wheaten...

Thumbnail by DrDoolotz
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

All singers welcome to sing for my chicks! One still to hatch but it's making peeping noises inside the egg.

The 'dud' egg is one that started to develop but for some reason never made it - it quit developing at some stage. This happens fairly frequently Ninja Dahlianut. Not a lot one can do about it. :-(

Moxy over.

Clarksburg, MO

I am up but not moving yet. Congrats on your hatchlings. You are such a good chicken mama. I am beginning to think that you are addicted to hatching. You have more eggs on the way? I think some sort of medical intervention should be pursued. Once your doctor has determined the ailment could you please forward the information to me. It seems I purchased 8 buff brahma eggs and another 15 light brahma eggs last night. Boredom while hubby works is not good for staying off of the internet.

Sheila

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Congrats Comander on your new life forms. They are just darling.
Permission requested to go to sick bay

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Sheila, I am worried I might have infected you when we were at Jacob's Cave! Did you have these symptoms prior to Jacob's Cave? Is it all my fault?

My name is Claire and I'm an eggaholic.

I have light brahma eggs on the way too!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Oh dear Commander Jordan, yes, go to sick bay, and please get better soon!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Thank you Commander. I am regretting not getting my flu and pneumonia shots yet.

Clarksburg, MO

Oh no, if you remember I was trying to purchase a 280 egg incubator even prior to your arrival. I think we are both infected.

My name is Sheila Williams and I am addicted to buying and hatching chickens. It has been 10 hours since my last hatching egg purchase.

Did you say Lt. Brahma eggs? My heart has started racing, my palms are sweaty, and I ammmm fffffeeeeeellllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggg dddddddddddddddddddddddiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

My name is Kathy Jordan, and I am a ckickaholic. I gt stressed when there is nothing in the incubator.

Clarksburg, MO

Kathy, how goes your marans eggs? Have you candled them yet? I am excited to hear how they do. We had 100% hatch here on the five that we put in my bator.

I would have to agree I get stressed when there is nothing in the bator.

Sheila

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Sheila, half of them look good, the rest i really can't tell yet. Keeping my toes crossed. I have 4 turkey eggs coming.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Yes! I got light brahma eggs from Ovabid! Too excited!! Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!

CWBO Wren reporting in. Been out running the "watch" doggy. And trying to inventory the epis. I have around 200. I am a episaholic and that is in some cases better and some worst that chickaholic. At least I know they arrive alive but so easy to kill.

You do not want me to sing!!!!!! I will hummy tonelessly along with every one else.

Thumbnail by wren107
Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

CWBO Wren - I have no epis. Should I get one?

Did you enjoy the TWT photo series? I think each chick needs its own TWT for "sunning" themselves under the heat lamp. :-)

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Would Commander Moxon like an epi? That i can do.

Franklin, OH(Zone 6a)

Congrats on the new life forms Commander. I especially love the coloring of the partridge.

Sorry you're in sick bay, Capitan Jordan.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Commander Moxon doesn't know how to care for one, but probably could do so with instructions. I do OK with a Christmas cactus and a pencil tree.

Yes but I warn you you can't get just one. Go to www.gotepis.com/cart and drool. They are tropical cactus, need more water and less light that desert cactus and keep warm in winter. You know they might do good hung up in winter coops.

I love the photos. So wish I could have chicks here but I am only a few miles form the city center.

Took hint and will start making TWT for chicks

Christmas cactus are close much the same growing conditions. I have almost all the colors.

Clarksburg, MO

Okay maybe I am still asleep this morning, but what are epis and what is TWT?

Okay for sure that I am still asleep,but coffee is brewing.......

Sheila

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Morng PSC Cookie, how goes it?
Commander, will send one next week, or 2 next week

A epis is a epiphyllum also called a orchid cactus or jungle cactus. I will have some for trading next summer.

Clarksburg, MO

I assume that is an indoor plant/cactus? Would love to have one and It might even teach the kids that they cannot bother the indoor plants. LOL

Maybe I had better wait.

Sheila

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

OK, total change of subject!! I just found my cell phone ring tone!! LOL

It's from an old TV show I use to love and really did forget the opening.. someone reminded me last night, I looked it up and sure enough, there are folks out there crazier than me and there it was on UTube..LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn6c5rkNGnU

Fishing with Red Holland out of Dothan, Al
The man was a total loon.. knew a lot about fishing.. no I am not a fishing nut.. but he was an accident waiting to happen, every show he would nearly kill himself.. and he would incorporate it into the show.. like a cat.. "I meant to do that" LOL like the time he fell of the back of the boat.. then made a case for why there should be either seat belts on the boat or the boat captian should call out to ensure all passingers are aware he is going to increase speed, HELLO it is a 12 foot trolling boat.. passingers????

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

TWT = 'tweensy weensy towel' used for fluffering chicks

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Sheila, i leave mine under the trees all summer, then brin them in for the winter. can send you cutting too i you'd like

Most epis have few thorns thought I have a couple that do. I even have dragon fruit

What color or combination of colors do you like. No blues. And I can let you know if I have any ready.

I am inventorying mine, to see who I still have and how they are doing and which ones are missing their labels(thanks to those darn squirrels)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.