Heidi Chronicles: A Chill Is In The Air

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

What an amazing thread this is! I found it the other night and wow! I will have to do some retro-reading on your adventures with these guys and gals when I have time. Good luck with the getting the cat!

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Oh you are in for a treat!! Yes you really should go back and read from the start..it has been a fascinating journey to watch as Cheryl and her raccoons have evolved over time. The last year has been truly remarkable!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Nanny s sooo right!!!!!!! : ) What you read in these threads of Cheryl's will open you up to an amazing world ya nevr woudl find in any book or magazine. We have been blessed that Cheryl started this journey and let us into to it over the years.

If the world ever had a racoon whisperer she the one.

Awesome...thanks for the encouragement! I will definitely some reading when I have more time. :-D

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Welcome, beautifulchaos--great name!
Unfortuantely, I had to bury another racoon today. I am really worried about disease. Will have to have kitty tested for sure.

Thank you KyWoods ;-)

I'm so sorry to hear that about the/another racoon. :-( Yes, having the kitty tested sounds llike a good idea.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

oh dear Kywood..that is such sad news. :(

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Everyone,

I am so touched by the wonderful things many of you said about the threads and the whole 'Heidi experience'. Thank You!

Doe41, it is so great to have you back with us. Sorry that you got lost. You've rejoined us at a time when there isn't a lot happening with the raccoons. This is the time of year when the kits are almost grown and, like any young teens, are out doing things on their own now frequently showing up without their moms. Right now they are all so busy out there in the forest enjoying the fall bounty and learning all the things they will need to know to make it on their own. In the coming months their moms will cut them loose for good, so it is good that they are spending a lot of time in the forest right now learning how to be successful raccoons. Some nights, like last night, I may not see a single raccoon. Other nights, I may only see one or two. Every now and then I have a good night and manage to get out there when most of the gang is around. If you have the time, I hope that you will go back (follow the links at the top of the threads. most have a link to the prior thread.) and catch up on what you've missed.

beautifulchaos, it is so nice to have you with us. I join the others in welcoming you to the threads. I'm glad that you have enjoyed the thread. As I mentioned above, you have joined us at the down time that occurs each year about now when the raccoons are busy preparing for winter, when the now adolescent kits are enjoying greater freedom and autonomy as their moms allow them to do more on their own.

I hope that you will, as time permits, go back to the 1st thread to read the whole story. This being the down time at the end of a family year, you have missed a lot of incredible moments that led up to this one. The raccoons and I have come a very, very long way from that very 1st thread in spring of 06 when I was afraid of the scary raccoon in my yard (Heidi) and looking for advice on how to get her to go away. In 06, Heidi and I started down a path of trying to learn to trust each other, just a little, in tiny baby steps. That summer when I 1st saw her kits up close I was awestruck. I spent that year watching and interacting with the kits from an ever narrowing distance. By the time she had her 07 kits, Heidi was sufficiently comfortable around me as to permit her new kits to come right up to me. It was an incredible summer with kits, especially Dennis, practically climbing on me. The whole process of getting to know them has been pure magic for me, but that was perhaps the most magical time of all. In 08 those 07 kits who had grown up around me had kits of their own. Along the way their have been many touching and totally unexpected moments and throughout it all I have learned so many things about raccoons, including a number of things I never would have dared to guess. If nothing else, you should go back and look at the photos and videos. The photography leaves a lot to be desired, but the antics of those adorable raccoons manages to come through here and there in spite of me.

KyWoods, I am truly sorry to hear about the dead raccoons. I can't imagine how upsetting it would be to go out one morning and find one of my little friends out there dead. My heart goes out to you. It must be all the more scary now that it seems to be a trend. If it is any small consolation, the fact that the raccoons 'chose' to die in your yard and so close to your house seems an indication of how comfortable, safe, and at home they felt there. Seriously ill and dying animals usually go off and hide out somewhere in the forest - at least that is my understanding and one which fits with the fact that, except for road kill, one rarely sees dead wildlife.

I wonder if you could get a necropsy done on one of the raccoons to determine the cause of death so you would know what you are dealing with. When my dog died suddenly some 3 years back I had a necropsy done to find out why. The process (here and at the time) started at around $60 for the initial tests. If those tests did not yield an answer, successive tests (if I chose to continue) would add to the price. Of course, I was dealing with a dog. I have no idea what the rules are regarding a raccoon. My dog died of a very rare, incurable, and rapid cancer of the blood vessels or circulatory system. Finding that information cost me less than $200, I think. If the raccoons are dying of a fairly common contagious disease I should think they would find that in the initial tests, that is assuming you could actually get a vet to do a necropsy on a wild raccoon. Again, my condolences for what you are going through. I do hope this will end soon. Hugs (((KyWoods)))

Everyone, I apologize that I have been somewhat unresponsive just lately. In addition to being incredibly busy, I am dealing with some personal things and, for a change, am, wisely I think, trying to keep from cluttering the threads with my personal issues. In brief, while we are [at work] scrambling to rap up development on the current project - a task which is stressful in its own right, a bit like running the last leg of a marathon - we still have no follow on work. Our funding runs out some time in Jan or Feb depending on how much we spend on some other things. If you have spent any time listening to the news lately (or watching your investments plummet in value), you know that now is a pretty scary time to be facing unemployment. If all I had to do right now was get my part of the project ready for final delivery, it would be exhausting enough. Having to deal with that while facing potential unemployment is draining. I am doing those things which I can do, both to conserve funds and to make contingency plans, and am trying not to waist energy worrying about the things I can't do or change. Above all, I am hoping that I won't be forced to sell my house in these uncertain times and move elsewhere in pursuit of employment. Selling my house would, of course, mean that I would never see Heidi and the gang again, so, hopefully, you can understand how all of this has kept me somewhat distraught. On the brighter side, however, my boss (in DC) called on Friday to say that he may (no guarantee so let's not get our hopes up too much yet) have found me a task there (in DC) which I can do remotely. That would be awesome if it works out. I might have to travel to DC from time to time, but would be able to keep my home and do my work from here. At any rate, recently, to be honest I have vacillated between moments of determination and resolve and moments of despair when I had to push myself even to go out and feed the raccoons, moments when, despite my love and respect for all of you, I just didn't feel like 'talking'. I hope you will forgive me that.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I realize the thread is getting long now and will try to get a new one started soon, hopefully later tonight.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

I forgot to say thanks for calling my attention to that 09 problem in the opening post. I fixed it - again - but am confident that another erroneous 09 reference will manage to insert itself - given that that was the 2nd one I had to fix (so far). (Kidding, of course, about them inserting themselves. Not like I could have done it myself or anything.)

I guess my cover is blown now. I'm a time traveler, and sometimes I get confused about which time bubble I'm in at the moment. ;^)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As for the raccoons, as I mentioned, I don't get to spend a lot of time with them just lately. There is this one kit - note that we have arrived at the time when I pretty much have no idea which kit is which (with only a few exceptions). The kit sometimes waits for me. He or she is often alone, not necessarily abandoned, possibly just enjoying some autonomy. With no parent or sibling or even any other raccoon around to help him decide what is and is not dangerous, the kit is a bit uncertain when coming out around me, but we are making progress. After the kit eats a bit, he goes over to the pool. That's when I toss dog food chunks into the pool and the fun begins as he starts fishing for kibble. For a moment or 2 he seems lost in delightful play, chasing nuggets in the moonlight, almost oblivious to anything else. Then, suddenly he will realize his folly, become frightened, and hop from the pool to run into the brush and hide. A few moments later, I will begin tossing nuggets into the pool again. Plop, plop, plop...and a little masked face will appear in the brush at the edge of the pool. After a minute or so, unable to hold himself back any longer, the kit will emerge from the brush to stand on the side of the pool fishing out the nuggets. Plop, plop, and then soon he will be back in the water fishing again and the cycle will repeat...

The other night - don't recall if I told you about this - Dennis showed up again. I hadn't seen her in a while, and it was all I could do to keep from reaching out to hug her. "Hi, Dennis!" I greeted her like an old friend as she stood up beside me at the table to eat the food which I put there now each night whether I see her (or Fraidy) or not. I always put some food there along with a few treats, hoping that it will stay long enough for her to find it.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Iguess my cover is blown now. I'm a time traveler,

LOL... you and the ninja raccoons.

>>It was an incredible summer with kits, especially Dennis, practically climbing on me.

and playing tug-o-war with the grape bag.

OH and that would be horrible if you ever had to move. Lets hope, if it comes to that... that you can get that DC job and work form home.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oops. Some idiot hit the send button before I finished the above post, so continuing...

As Dennis stood upright, and I mean totally vertical, I reached out to stroke her head, neck, and back. She looked up at me and went on shoving food in her mouth with both hands in that adorable, raccoon way. It is incredible to me how comfortable Dennis is around me, incredible and, for me at least, wonderful.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm so glad Dennis has turned into a really great [almost pet] Raccoon.

she [when you thought she was a he] was certainly the problem child ... and what a sweety she's turned into.

Hopefully her kit will be just as sweet too, next year.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Oh, yes, all those wonderful, and at times frustrating, moments with Dennis [The Menace] growing up. Remember the moments with the dog? Dennis dunking poor, little Widget in the pool? Dennis hiding right behind the dog's back while the dog was looking for her? Those were some magical moments, weren't they?

I'm trying to be resigned to whatever must be while simultaneously doing what I can. If I can do the DC job from home (or perhaps from my current office) that would be wonderful. The fact that my boss in DC called to mention this possibility gives me cause for optimism because it says that he is looking for a solution. Thus, don't feel like I'm alone in this.

Thanks very much for your concern. And thanks in advance for everyone's unspoken concern, but this time I would like to try to stay more on topic - or at least less off topic, less about me and more about raccoons - which reminds me it's time to open the buffet.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Ironic, isn't it, that the problem raccoon would end up being one of the most memorable and one of my favorites. I think one of her kits is the one who has been coming out alone to play in the pool and fish for treats. Circumstances being what they were this summer, Dennis' kits didn't get to spend time around me until they were older and then only from a distance, but they did on occasion watch their mom stand beside me and eat from the table.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Nothing much to tell about tonight's visit except that it was cold out there - 45 heading for 43. There were 3 kits out there, not siblings based on their reactions to each other. I 'played' with the kit in the pool again. By the time Heidi and her group arrived my hands and feet were almost frozen solid. Heidi appears to be the only mom who still has her kits with her, although they are not all with her on every visit. Tonight only 2 were with her when she arrived. A 3rd joined them later. Being with their mom longer and thus in training longer, her kits will be better prepared when she does turn them loose.

I tossed everyone peanuts and dog candies before coming inside to thaw out.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL Cheryl.... we didnt even his 45 as a HIGH today, yet i spent the day cleaning up flower beds and harvesting seeds.

Did Dennis have 2 kits? I was thinking 1, but that was Fraidy, right?

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Wonder if that single kit is from Dennis or Fraidy. Is it possible that it th eone that woudl spend most of the time hiding in th ebushes or on th esidelines. Forget who it is, think of them as the shy darter.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

KyWoods, that is such sad and scary news. Having a necropsy done on the most recent kit would be a great idea if money permits, and if you can find a willing vet. Do be prepared for lectures about rabies when you approach any vet, or anyone in authority, when they learn that you're feeding raccoons. I'm not belitting this, it is a real concern, but a somewhat unlikely cause of death in two kits at around the same age. Unless, of course, they were still nursing and the mother contracted rabies; then rabies in the young is a strong possibility. A basic necropsy will not diagnose rabies, by the way; there's a specific test that must be run on brain tissue for that diagnosis. In kits, especially if past weaning age, distemper and parvo are more likely, on the whole.

Beautifulchaos, welcome! You will love these threads, especially when you have time to go back and read the history. Cheryl has come such an incredibly long way with the raccoons in just two years - especially for someone who, as she freely admits, started out more than a little scared of Heidi. She has truly created her own magic kingdom where normal boundaries between the species don't apply; even her everyday stories have a touch of magic.

Cheryl, we're all sending tons of hopeful thoughts and positive karma your way for the job situation. That is truly scary with the economy as it is, and I hope your boss' idea will come through - or that another great prospect, with no need to move, will fall into your lap. Hang in there, and certainly take time out from the threads when you need it; we all understand, and wish the very best for you.

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Good luck to you, Cheryl, as your future opens before you! Know that you have unforgettable memories, no matter what the outcome! Remember the joy you share with us, your eager, willing readers!

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

best and positive wishign coming yoru way Cheryl. Hoepfully thinsg wil work out for the best. They may be a bit rocky at first, but yoru a gusty girl. Just look at all the coons ya manage. You a good person adn smart , so anybody who got you woudl be gettign agem! : )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Terese,

Ok, well, that does seem to put things in perspective. I guess I might have exaggerated the need to thaw out when I came in last night. LOL. My perceptions may have been clouded a bit by the fact that I went out there wearing a very thin, light, knit topper over my summer tank dress and open toe (and heel) shoes. Maybe that's why my hands and feet were loosing feeling after 30-45min.

Here the daytime highs are running in the 65-75 range. I'm still wearing sleeveless and short sleeve tops. Yesterday morning I left home wearing a light cotton shirt over my sleeveless top, but had to take the shirt off by 11AM. As a result, I haven't made the transition yet to 'winter' clothing. I need to go round up my light weight, unlined jackets before it gets really cold. (But, remember, I earned every second of this mild weather by living through yet another summer from, eh, heck.)

Dennis had 2 kits. Remember those two, tiny, frail, 'black' kits brought out that one night by the mystery mom who later turned out to be Dennis? Fraidy only had one. Although I did get to feed Fraidy's kit once, I didn't otherwise get to spend a lot of time with it. Fraidy had to sneak and/or fight her way past the others to get to me - when she did - so she mostly left the kit in the relative safety of the brush over by the willow tree - if she brought it with her at all. That was her hiding place last year, so I guess she felt it was a good place to leave the kit where he had both cover and a tree to climb in case of emergency. Fraidy's kit was one of the blondish colored ones. I'm not sure if I would recognize him if I saw him now without his mom.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Starlight,

Thank you. Can I quote you on my resume?

I'm not sure which kit you are referring to. I was so inundated with kits this summer, that I have little hope of keeping track of all of them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Ruth!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Audrey!

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Cheryl, you are a southern girl for sure! Weather in the mid '40's is NOT cold. That is about the temp we break out the shorts here. If ya want we can trade, the birdbaths were frozen on top yesterday and there was sleet and freezing rain on the way to work.

I hope what your boss is working on bears out. It would be great for you to be able to work from home and not have to move. But on the other hand, this could be an opportunity in disguise. You could work on all three (is that what we are up to now??) of your books in peace while living off of the future royalties from your very wise publisher. If I remember correctly the person who wrote the Harry Potter books was on what amounted to welfare in England at the time and had to come up with fairly imaginative ways to keep body and soul together. Now she could give the Queen of said country a run for her money.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Love your thinking, tetley! That's exactly true of the Harry Potter author (having a brain fade and can't place her name); and I can see Cheryl's nature tales selling that well, can't you? All she needs is the time to write and to find a publisher who sees their huge potential.

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Could be wrong, but think she would have alot better chanc eof a publisher taking her on if she can write a few small and short more detailed stories for like national digest type mags and maybe a couple of funny children , everyday folsk peopel type magazines.

Get some teasers and her name out their. Another thing to think about Cheryl, as if you have have nothign but load sof time on yoru hands, but if you cna also develop a childrens book and story so that it can converted into liek stuffe danimal toys and saturday mornign cartoon. heck even as old as I am I still watch some of them cartoons, from habit more or less I guess from my when my son was young and they wasn't bad cartoons to watch and laugh with. Another avenue to look at, but liek all things, reality has to take place and thos eobligations meet while ya work on the side passions til it can support ya.

Lyndonville, NY

I have been reading and catching up! The news on Dennis and her being so loveable...made my day.

I am sorry to hear about the raccoon kits being found dead in your yard.

HOWEVER, as Cheryl said....you need to investigate that further.

Up here if that would happen, the health department picks up the animal and does the necropsy on it. Sending it for testing, so they know if it is rabies or what. It is their cost, not yours.

So I really would check into that before there is an epidemic of some sorts going on, and YOU and your family are in danger. Better safe than sorry.

I just love reading the adventures....Cheryl, I hope you don't have to move. That would be so sad.

Debbie

(Audrey) Dyersburg, TN(Zone 7a)

Sending good vibes for you girl! Maybe things will get better! Who knows?!

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

Yep, the health dept here tested a squirrel that bit me--one that I tried to 'rescue'...bad, bad idea to pick them up with your bare hands. Thankfully, tests were negative. I wonder if it's too late, though--they were already stinky when I buried them. eeew...
Best of luck to you, Cheryl --will pray that you get to stay there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Everybody,

No time to talk right now as it is getting late and I have to get to bed. These are tough days, but I'd like to tell you all how much I enjoyed reading your comments today - while taking a break at work. I loved your uplifting ideas and comments. I had a very enjoyable day, and I think your words played a major part in helping me to keep a positive attitude today, especially since I had been in something of a blue mood recently. Thank you!

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Did ya have fun with the kids this evening??

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tetleytuna and Ruth,

Thanks for the votes of confidence and for lifting me up in this time of despair. From time to time, I've though of J K Rowling (sp?), not because I dare to draw any sort of comparison with her success but because I draw comfort from the story of her writing her 1st book at a coffee shop because at the time she couldn't afford to heat her small flat. If things go too far south in the coming year, I may be writing my books at Starbucks because I can't afford to heat my car. (Thank goodness I traded that 2dr Civic for the larger 4dr Accord.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi Terese,

Yes, I did, in fact. How did you know? I stayed out there much longer than I should have, but it was so serene out there, 70 degrees, the world lit by a brilliant and glowing, full moon, and me surrounded by kits. I played with several kits in the pool. Well, the kits were in the pool, and I was tossing dog food in with them. They all love to fish for food in the pool and will stay in there endlessly circling the pool and scooping treats of the surface of the water. Sometimes they argue over pool rights. The winner fishes for 'ever'. The looser goes his or her way to eat on dry land but all the while watching and waiting for the pool to be 'open' again. The instant the winner finally leaves the pool, the looser heads for the water and the whole scene starts over again and again and again as the new kit begins her moonlight water ballet, and the next challenger awaits her turn to swim. Watching them, especially on such a lovely night, is like a sort of meditation.

A light colored, blondish raccoon showed up early in the evening. The other, unchaperoned kits that were there at the time tried to keep her away from me. She had to fight them over and over to get to me, yet she was so determined to do so. I didn't recognize her, unfortunately, but clearly she recognized me. I suppose it could have been Mink. It didn't look like her, but she would have grown a good bit since I last saw her, and they change so much at this age. Still, she did not show Mink's mannerisms, so I really can't call this one right now. At any rate, when she 1st arrived on the scene she sneaked up behind me, very close, to sniff me but ran off when I tried to speak to her. Almost immediately, however, she returned, this time approaching me from the front. I held out a marshmallow and was surprised when she came up to take it from my hand. She ran back to the brush to eat it, but returned over and over for another, each time having to fight her way past another kit who was determined to keep her at bay. I must admit that I enjoyed the attention.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

starlight,

I really do agree with your idea. Unfortunately, right now I'm unable to get the necessities done, so don't have much time to think about pursuing the magazines. One book I read suggested writing the book or at least the outline and then taking a chapter from the book, slightly revamped to make a more or less complete mini-story, and marketing that to magazines as a plug for the book. That way you kill lots of birds with one stone: get your name out there and generate interest in the story, and all without writing a separate article or story.

Someday, when time allows...

Thanks for the uplifting words.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Debbie,

Dennis was there tonight. I so love to see her. She is like a dear, old friend now - after all our prior 'arguments'. She came across the pool, stopped to eat a marshmallow from the water, and then I could see that moment when she looked at me and her eyes lit up. She hopped out of the pool and came right over to me. I handed her a marshmallow when she approached me from the front. She scarfed that down and then walked around to the back of the little table beside me where she stood upright to reach across the table for dog food nuggets and marshmallows, eating from the little pile of goodies I always put there for her (and Fraidy). While she was standing upright at the table, I handed her another marshmallow and stroked her neck and back. She is really so very well behaved these days and so very sweet. I guess if you figure that the females experience adolescence and their 1st pregnancy at pretty much the same time, it makes sense that they might go through a testy phase, but Dennis seems to have matured considerably since those days.

She ate maybe 5 or so marshmallows. As she was walking away, I called her name and she came back. I offered her another marshmallow, but she wasn't interested. She stood in front of me, sniffing me, checking to see what else I might have, but unlike her younger days, she was very well behaved about it. Finally, she left to go play in the pool some more before returning to the forest.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I started the new thread. In the interest of time, I just grabbed one of the 4 photos from my work laptop for the new thread. I usually try to pic a unique one, but this time I figured it was more important to get that new thread started.

Please don't forget to 'watch' the new thread. Don't want to loose anyone. : )

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/923397/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.