Hoping for an ID

(Zone 7a)

Have no idea where this came from or what it could be - please excuse the bad pic - will follow with another bad of close-up of flower - would much appreciate an ID

Karen

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

ain't it purdy?

Thumbnail by bluespiral
(Zone 7a)

Thought you'd like to know - Plantladylin, in the Plant and Tree Identification forum has identified this as Talinum paniculatum 'Jewels of Opar' - http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/777/ .

I thought, since it seemed like such a petite, delicate little thing that y'all might be interested. However, it's a toughy - maybe too tough - but from comments in PlantFiles, this might be just the tiny battleax for our adverse conditions.

Karen

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

This plant is Talinum crassifolium Talinum. I don't know it's English name. Sorry.

(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Goldenfish. I love common names for their intrinsic poetry and story-telling aspects, but don't know why anyone interested in plant identification would prefer names not within a system that matches exactly one name to one plant. (Well, I could expound, but let's not get me started.)

The wide, golden leaves make such a pretty contrast to the dainty pink flowers. Would you like some seed? I think there's enough to send to a couple more folks, as well - y'all let me know.

I'll relay your ID to PTI.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3b)

Goldenfish, why would it be T. crassifolium rather than T. paniculatum?

By the way, not saying it is that, but there is a T. paniculatum variety with golden foliage called 'Kingswood Gold'...

Tottori, Japan(Zone 9a)

Hi bluespiral and altagardener,

Sorry, I haven't read bluespiral's 3rd post (Post #5674253).
You can bet that it's Talinum paniculatum. The color of leaves are brighter than Talinum crassifolium.

(Zone 7a)

Thank you, Alta & Golden. I'm not sure how loose I'm going to let this one get, but for now it can have the edges of its section of the brick path.

This is making me re-think the possibilities for this path's edges for quite a linear distance. Where the shade is very deep, I have some viola odorata that might colonize along the edges (right now, Begonia evansii is trouncing it). Campanula poscharskyana has no slug/critter/pest problems where it cascades down the hill in partial shade. Where there are some ledges extending perpendicular to this *main drag*, I'm hoping to grow primroses - wild ones like P. sieboldii and P. kisoana that are said to not be as dependent on consistent moisture as P. candelabra (though I don't intend to keep them too dry and plan on trying as many varieties as possible from the American Primrose Society).

The ledges are actually narrow walkways that interrupt stone dry-walls that slant into the hill where I'm hoping to try some winter-sown gentians from NARGS.

There's more sun behind the house where I'd love to grow rock garden species of dianthus and sage - I especially love ones with silvery leaves.

If DH and I can put up one more section of deer fencing on the lowest ledge in the coming week, then the coast should be clear for me to plant that shady slope to my heart's content in the coming spring. We did staple some mesh to the trees that bisect a circle immediately below the last terrace, but I am itching to have that circle clear again and the fencing paralleling the curve of that lowest terrace, already outlined in evergreen Christmas ferns. Hopefully installing concrete footings for the gate will be our last tussle with concrete, as we are getting "creaky" in our old age.

Would anyone have any suggestions for other plants to try in these conditions? Combinations/associations of plants? I am totally dependent on whatever NARGS and APS will have on their lists and the labor of our own paws.

Karen

ps - who put all the stickies on the threads here? just curious

somewhere, PA

could you post pictures to help us understand? I've been planting small
penstemon on my hill. Dianthus of every sort too. A few helianthemum, sedums,
semps too. Its very rocky with just a little sandy soil. Some shade but primarily
sunny.

Tam

PS: what stickies? I don't see any in this forum

(Zone 7a)

I apologize for being awol - I've gotten behind in too many things. Just want you to know I appreciate the responses to this thread, and when things get less crazy around here, I'll take some pictures. Is my verbal description not enough for some plant ideas? There are some things I'd rather change before I post pictures over the internet.

Tammy, would you have any idea how close Norm Deno might be to publishing that book about storing seeds he mentioned? That would make such a wonderful reference.

I've had trouble growing sedums and semperviviums. When deer get in, it seems they make a beeline to sedum, first. I suspect rabbits of being the worst sedum-disappearing culprits. So, I've given up on those. Thank goodness those two don't seem to bother dianthus species.

Would anyone have any knowledge about violas to share? There were a few different species on NARGS' list last year. Currently, I'm happy to have Viola labradorica hopping about a mixed border in part shade in the back, uppermost part of our hill.

Viola odorata has thrived on the hill in question here, but I goofed when I thought it would make a nice edging to Begonia evansii, which took over that whole spot and now wants to own the path. Although deer really enjoy this hardy begonia, it doesn't seem to mind the chomping. hmph ps - the viola odorata is evergreen through most of the winter, and even blooms before the begonia comes thumping back.

Well, I'm embroiled, as I said, in a few things. I'll be back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.