Jungle Heights (The Restoration ) part 1

Hillsborough , NC(Zone 7a)

Aloha John, I am certainly no expert on 'nanas, but I thought they were one and the same...I do know they like a shaded position in the garden and acid soil - and they are beautiful! Only the royalty in Hawaii were allowed to eat 'A'ea'e'. Perhaps some of our Hawaiian experts will know the answer.

Spelling!

This message was edited Oct 21, 2008 6:07 PM

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks, I'd love to try my hand at one here amongst all the other bananas, but I'm not brave enough in my climate to do it just yet. Maybe one of these days when I move to a warmer climate.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari, those are gorgeous!!!!!!!!!! I need more things that bloom this time of year!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I wish someone on island had those little apple bananas. They are sooooo good! But other than those, I know nothing about bananas. I should, they are all over the island, and apparently easy to grow...but I just never developed the urge. Guess I like the bloomers more.

I have quite a bit blooming right now, since we are well and truly in the rainy season, I should get out my camera. My white ginger is going strong, and even my red ginger has more blooms than ever before. But you have all seen these before.

Jenny, my morning glory tree is beautiful. has about eight blossoms today. Just wish they lasted longer, ya know. When some of my other, newer plants start blooming I will post more pics.

Yokwe,
shari

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes Shari, I'll have a party as long as your coming...other than that, there will be no party.
I love that pure yellow color on the allamanda or whatever that is on your fence. I've been wanting to get a pure yellow hibiscus. I have a double yellow, but want just a simple single yellow hibiscus.

I'm thinking the only difference between Manini and Ae is that Ae are from cell tissue culture..something like that.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I'd love to know if you can TC (tissue culture) an Ae-Ae. Some folks told me you couldn't do that, but I can't figure out why exactly. Maybe they were mistaken - inquiring minds would love to know. Might compel me to get one of those TC kits, LOL

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

This site refers to the banana all the same AE AE, Manini
we should ask Lari Ann about tissue culture...I'm thinking your right, because if it were so...they'd be all over the place...
http://webebananas.com/bvar-A-B.html

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Funny you mention that Randy. I just recently purchased a tiny yellow hib from Logee's. It hasn't done much yet, and I am hoping that this one will survive the transportation shock, but I wanted another pure yellow to go in the opposite corner from the Allamanda. Right by the lanai I have my yellow orchids, a bright yellow pachystachys and in many spots the ubiquitous tunera ulmafolia pop up with their bright yellow blossoms. I have various other yellows, Ixora, some mixed yellow hibs, and the yellow in my caesalpinia...but I didn't have a pure yellow hib, and have never even seen a yellow bouganvilla. It looks so lovely next to the salmon and peach colors on my other plants that I seem to be getting more and more yellow.

How I wish I could come to a party at your new garden! May get to see Carol next month though...JB has to go into Hono to have his shoulder worked on, and we may get to spend an evening with her on her way back from NZ. All depends on the timing....

Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Yellow must be the "in" color this season. I want a yellow hardy hibiscus or Rose of Sharon. I have a single yellow tropical hibiscus. A friend said that she has one, so I'm going to see if I can get "cuttings" from her.

I may look for those yellow alamandas. Those are gorgeous!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I've never had luck with the alamandas, but mostly because I didn't put them in enough sun. Realestate issues..I love those bright yellow flowers!
We're getting pounded down town ...is it in Baytown yet Jeanne?....it's really lighting and thundering right now..
Our first cold front of the autumn season draws nigh....

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

It's starting to thunder here. I probably should get off and shut down the puter. We really could use the rain tho. Keeps me from having to water tomorrow.

I guess we'll go ahead and put the plastic up on the swingset frame tomorrow. 44 is getting a little chilly, esp. for some of the "house plants" that were under the canopy, not to mention the plumies.....orchids, too.

OOPS there goes more thunder!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

I'm with you Jeanne! I see lightning and off goes the pooter and the phone! JB says I'm silly, but just can't get it through my head.

Be careful Texas!

Yokwe,
Shari

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Shari, DS being the tech he is worries about my computer. He is very cautious with thunder storms.....well the lightning actually. I had just started to shut it off when he came in to check and see if it was "off". I let him know that I had, IT was just being slow. At least I'm not the only thing in this house that moves slowly! LOL! But I fussed at it, telling it, "See, you almost got me in trouble!"

So now the storm has passed, so I'm back in touch with the world again! Yeah!

Isn't technology wonderful? You can be in Texas and talk to people on the other side of the world! Cool, huh?

Thanks DAVE! You are sincerely appreciated!!!!!!

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

It's LouC's birthday today. Here is a link to the Happy Birthday thread.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/916207/

You didn't hear this from me. As a matter of fact, I was never here. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Sylvain.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Then you better edit that post!...thanks though.

It flooded in the inner city last night.. I had quite an adventure getting home ..the streets were rivers...going to be a fabulous weekend though!

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

If you go for Alamandas...go for the double fragrant one!!!!

Rio Rico, AZ(Zone 8a)

Hi Carol! Yep, go for the doubles!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.