Snakes, frogs and lizards! #1

Benton County, MO(Zone 5a)

You can see his head better here.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

This was a handsome guy.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

This little one was on the side of our house.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Another angle.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Ooh! I forgot about the mating Garter snakes. Look at the difference in size!

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Here is a Five Lined Skink on our deck.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Another skink

Thumbnail by creekwalker

This is an adult of the baby blue tail above.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

One more

Thumbnail by creekwalker

On a tree

Thumbnail by creekwalker

I think that's all I have of my best. I would love seeing everyone's pictures!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Very nice!

Hardly ever see any reptiles around here. Here's a repeat pic of the Adder I saw this spring. Not one I'd want to pick up as they're venomous, but certainly nice to look at close up.

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin

Thanks Resin! That is a great picture of an Adder! My husband would have probably caught it. lol He loves catching any kind of snake.

I am thinking the one snake that I haven't ID'd is in the Kingsnake family. Maybe a speckled Kingsnake. And the Blue Racer could possibly be an Eastern Yellow Bellied Racer. Not quite sure on those two.

Essex Junction, VT(Zone 4a)

Wow, such great variety - I'm jealous :)

Thanks for sharing!

Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

No copperheads at our house -- just the occasional rattler in the summer -- this year was a bumper crop because the state park we are next to had a big fire ... the rattlers like to crawl up our split apple tree and wait for birds ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

Another picture ...

Thumbnail by crockny
Kerhonkson, NY(Zone 5a)

And another ...

Thumbnail by crockny

Wow! Now that would make me a little more nervous than a Copperhead for sure! Great pictures!

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Wow. That's a BIG snake. Mighty pretty, too.

Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

Yeeks, I'd be scare to handle a rattler or copperhead or adder, anything poisonous for that matter. I'm not very familiar with snakes, but they are beautiful creatures. I've only seen a few here. Non poisonous ones.
Very nice series Creekwalker,

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Very cool pics!!

When I go walking through the woods here, I keep forgetting I need to watchout for the cooperheads here. One of these days....

Thanks everyone! :-) I probably wouldn't have so many if my husband didn't love to catch them so much. :p He has caught many other kinds too, but we don't have pictures of them. Nanny, you really need to be careful in the woods! They blend in so easily that it's really hard to see them before it's too late. I have snake boots that I wear when I go in the woods, any time except winter. That has given me some peace of mind for sure.

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I really should get some of those boots. Years ago we used to to this one state park a lot. We finally had to stop because EVERYTIME we went, I would literally step right over one!

One time we were walking...I was ahead...DH yelled snake! I whoa and turn around and go back to where he is... he saying no,no stop!! I stepped over that cooperhead going both ways!! LOL

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

We have those ring necked snakes here.

You should enter your pics in the photo contest.

What photo contest?

Ok, I see it now. :p

Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is a nice looking lizzard I saw on a trail ride.

Thumbnail by CajuninKy

He is really cute! I love lizards! :-)

I think this one is a baby of the same kind as yours.

Thumbnail by creekwalker
Biggs, KY(Zone 6a)

Your DH must move plenty quicker than me. I never see anything i can actually catch up with. LOL

lol, I honestly don't know how he does it.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks creekwalker and rest for showing your photos. Have very few snakes here, a few Bull snakes and the very fast moving Blue Racers. No skinks and only rarely any kind of lizards. Luckily no rattlers here , but if one goes where there are lots of rocks have to be careful where walking because of rattlers. Do have quite a lot of frogs & toads around my lily pools, mostly in spring. As soon as the tadpoles mature they move away from pool area.

Donna

You're welcome Donna :-) There could be rattlers here too, but we haven't seen any. But we do have quite an assortment of wildlife here. :D I love most of it. lol

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Creekwalker, i've been off-line due to surgery and only today did I see your posting of the copperheads. Several years ago, I was bitten by one. They blend in so effectively here in this red clay and I did't see it until it bit me on the ankle. I spent 3 days in the hosp. and received antivenin, to which I had a reaction. Now, i watch my steps but still admire the creatures. Lee

Hi Lee, Hope you are recovering well! That's too bad you were bitten :o I know, they blend in so well that you are already on top of them before you know it. They are beautiful though.

Golden, MS(Zone 7a)

Yes, they are beautiful. The bite didn't keep me from going into the woods with my snake stick and turning over rocks and brushpiles to search for them. I'd never kill one unless it was attacking one of our cats. I would so like to see an indigo snake. Never have seen one. The friend with whom I live would kill everyone he saw if it weren't for my practically fighting him to prevent it! Anyway, take care, Lee

New pictures taken today by dh. A Hognose snake playing dead. He also took a video which was really good, showing how he immediately turns back onto his back if turned over.

Thumbnail by creekwalker

You can kind of see his pattern here, with his mouth in playing dead position. lol

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Close up of his head

Thumbnail by creekwalker

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.