It's sick, what with what?

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

This is a new butternut squash plant. He didn't have the white on him when I put him in the ground last week-end, but now he has a lot. Others have some as well. Not sure if I put him out too soon and it's sun, or something else.

Thumbnail by 2busygardening
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I don't see any stem on the one plant. Is it covered up too much with mulch?
If the transplants had minimum shock at transplant, I don't know. Things that come to mind are sun burning if they weren't hardened first. You might turn a 6 or 8 inch flower pot [with holes in the bottom] upside down over the affected plants for 2 or 3 days. You can tip that pot some to let in light from the north.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Is that the cotyledon leaf (first one that emerges when seed germinates) on the right? If so its going to die any way, its served its purpose. That's what it looks like to me, but only you will know.
=)

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

It looks like sunburn to me. I've killed many trying to rush the process. After having been out all week it's acclimated now. Just make sure it has the right amount of water and see what happens.

I have picked 9 yellow squash from 2 plants set out 08/28. Many more are coming on. The squash borers are still out in force.

nice thing about living in deep south--almost year round production

Dade City, FL(Zone 9a)

They are the first and it does appear that all of the ones that are doing this are the first leaves. I did harden them in the greenhouse first with the shade cover. Maybe that wasn't enough. They were there for about 9 days.

that is what it looks like to me--if it were sunburn, more leaves should be showing the same distress
=)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.