Seed request

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Hi everyone. Last year you all did such a good job that everyone is asking you to do it again.
The Brian County, Oklahoma Master Gardeners put on a Spring Fling gardening show and gardening classes every spring.
At the door we Give Away seed packs donated and packaged by us.
On each package is who donated the seeds and planting instructions complements of the Master Gardeners.
So do not throw away but give to a good cause. I will not keep any of them. LOL I packaged and labeled over 1000 last year.
Flower or Veg seeds packaged or bulk.
I am in the address exchange.
Thanks for what you did last year and thanks again for this year.
Ted

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ted -- I recall you did a great Spring Fling last spring.

Closer to winter i should have all my seeds sorted and packed up.
and I'll drop you a note with all the extras i have.

it will most likely be the same sort of seeds i sent last time, but they are all the easy to grow variety.

Terese

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Terese thanks. No rush about March is the event. Jujst thought I would start putting out the work before fall.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Ted -- in your area... are Morning Glories considered invasives? I have a lot of seeds to 'spare' and would hate to send them to you this spring if the recipients would see them as a nuisance.

This message was edited Oct 28, 2008 5:31 PM

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

tcs they are welcome. One of the few vines that do well.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Thank you for your seeds Pamela. They are much appreciated. Ted

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Bump

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Ted -

I will put together a package for you. just bulk packaging with IDs attached alright?

ATBTY ~ Łaz

Thumbnail by LazLo
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Laz that will be fine. Who is the jolly fellow?

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I've got a few for you Ted. DMail me your addy.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

the grinnin' fool be me   ;--)

Thumbnail by LazLo
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

AH! you are having all thle fun. LOL

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

I have some I need to sort out T, I will get to them in the next week or so..............keep reminding us, with the holidays coming on we may forget.....

willowwasp

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Remember:   Anyone who doesn't believe in Santa gets underwear for Christmas!

Thumbnail by LazLo
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ted,

I have large quantities of many seeds--all gathered from my own garden. I gather a lot more than I will ever plant.
As I will gather the same amount of seeds again next year--I will share--gladly.

Do you need to know what WHAT I have--or can I just send them to you--ALL identified, of course. Kind of like a surprise package!

I have many seeds from plants that are not exactly in the "common" category.
Please send me a D-mail and i will tell you what I have.....
My trade list is out of date--but still has 80% of the seeds I still have collected to share--in case you go to it to check it out.

Gita

Panama City Beach, FL

Hi Ted !!,

Do you / or can you use pre-packaged / and labled seed,
We pack and lable all our seed , with our company name and site , upon the finishing of preping them for storge.
If you wish and can use them like this , we can donate a sizeable # of packages .
Let us know _
Tricia _ Rare Tropicals and More

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Rare tropicals and Gitagal all seeds are welcome period. LOL
We will put a label on them saying where they came from.
This year we have a childrens corner set up where they can plant a seed and take them home. Also will be setting up a class for jr master gardeners grades 3 thru 6.
Looking for books for the class now.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

ok but what if you NEED underwear? *G*

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Gee Big Red I hate to tell the kids I dont believe in Santa. LOL
So guess I do not need any.

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

LOL. Well,I believe in Santa, the tooth fairy,the Easter Bunny and the boogie bears but I still could use some undies...LOL

I believe I can come up with some seeds for your project.

Peggy

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

OK Peggy but be careful or the boogie man is out there. Thanks Ted

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

Wah! Why you scare me like that?

Chesapeake, VA

All of this underwear talk reminded me...when I graduated from high school, the relatives sent presents to me. All of my mother's family is from one small town in North Carolina.

They all sent me nightgowns. I was just a skinny little kid with about 25 nightgowns.

Hmmmmm...I bet there was a sale...

This message was edited Dec 5, 2008 8:20 PM

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

Ted are you interested in doing any cleaning? I already have a nice package ready to send you, but I could add more (zins, verbena, and purple millet) if anyone is willing to seperate the chaff. Let me know as soon as you can....I'd like to get these in the mail tomorrow if possible.

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Jane that will do, I will clean it up. Thanks Ted

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

Ted,
I have some things that I can send.
Bonnie

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Bonnie it would be appreciated. Ted

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ted,

Would you need pictures of the plants I would be sending seeds of or are you a master gardener yourself?
I have a slew of Wintersweet Shrub seeds (Chimonanthus praecox) I plant to send you. They are big seeds--like black sunflower oilers-- and will take 5-7 years from seed to even think about blooming.....but, OH, so fragrant when they do. I have Terry's instructions on germinating them.

Just from this spring's seed pods, I reaped a medium bowl-full. Same thing will happen next year! Have NO idea what to do with all of them!
Here's what the seeds look like.....

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Gita looked it up and viewed your photos. Yes I am a master gardener.
I will try a couple of them myself and see how they do in this area if I live long enough. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ted,
I actually "think" I had one in the bed under the shrub that had sprouted on it's own. How do I know? The W-Sweet shrub has very coarse, pointed leaves, and this small seedling had the same.
I dug it up and put it in a 1qt. square pot earlier this Summer. It did OK, just has not grown any bigger. I have it 3/4 dug into the bed smack against the concrete of my house and surrounded by leaves. Have no greenhouse--it will have to fend on it's own. Not worried!

I'll see if I can find the picture i took of it.......Looks like there are 2 0f them sprouting. Must have been a pod that fell down. They generally contain 3-5 seeds. Some only 2.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here is how many pods I picked this year.
Water bottle is for scale......

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

And here is how many seeds I shelled out of all those pods.
Just mind-boggling! That is probably a 2qt. bowl--and a soup spoon in it.....

It had a lot of blooms this Spring--as we really had NO winter to speak of from 2007-2008. Lots of ants and bugs and rabbits and all kinds of critters also because of it.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ted,
Here is Terry's instructions on germinating these. Save them--unless you don't need them?

"Best sown as soon as it is ripe in a cold frame. Pre-soak stored seed in tepid water for two hours, keep warm and moist for 3 days then chill for 5 - 8 weeks and sow in a cold frame. Germination is usually good, though it is often slow and erratic, and takes place in 2 months or more at 13°c. When they are large enough to handle, prick the seedlings out into individual pots and grow them on in a greenhouse for at least their first winter. Plant them out into their permanent positions in late spring or early summer, after the last expected frosts"

The seeds are still in the refrigerator (Hopefully they'll hold until this winter.) Unfortunately, this winter found me focused on my DG work instead of winter-sowing ;o)

Warm regards,
Terry (DG Administration)

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Gita I added the germinating post to my favorates so I know where to get it. You did collect a lot of seeds.
Reminds me of all the caster bean seeds I picked and shelled. Fingers still hurt. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Ted,

One last question....

Would you think many people would be interested in these--given the waiting time for growth and bloom?
I don't want to overwhelm you, but I do have this pile of seeds.....

To me, this shrub is nothing much to look at--except for the early march (here) bloom and the amazing fragrance when nothing else is even green yet.

This is it this November--still clinging to a few leaves. I plan to prune some of the sprawled branches off at the ground level. It is hitting me in the head when I walk by. It generally sends up new branches from the base--as well as from existing branches.

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

When the public comes to one of these events they grab anything. We give them the information to grow it and all we can do is hope they will become interested.

We have had no seed packets left on anything before. So give it a go. LOL

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Will do......soon......kind of busy at this time.....have to look and see what I want to send you. No hurry! Will get to it as soon as I can.

Gita

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Lazlo your seeds arrived today and we thank you for the big box full. Took note of your note and will see what will not grow in our area. Many thanks and have a wonderfull holliday. Ted

Ashdown, AR(Zone 8a)

What's the deadline on getting the seeds to you? I have a bunch in my own inventory plus I just did a round robin that I got a lot of seeds that I didn't need that I could included.I just need to get past the holidays so I can really put my mind to seed inventoring. I think I just about have everything list sans a few on my trade page.

Peggy

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

The last of March.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.