Ike and Gustuv Storm Helping Hands Swap

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

From Texas to Ohio, Ike and Gustuv did a whole lot of damage to alot of the Dg family gardens. For some folks it will still be awhile before you can get back to actual planting, but this is a way for you to get you some seed to start over with again and a chance to plan and sporut over the winter months.

This is the way this swap works. Please note: This is not the annual Piggy Swap, that will come later, this swap is only for those that were affected by hurricane and flood and suffered damage from the storms.

If you have extra seed and would like to lend a helping hand to another gardener to get started again or replace somethign they lost, you can list what seed you have to share. If you don't want to make a list, and see somebody who was damaged by the storms asking for particular seed and want to help them out, you can jump in at any time and let them know you have that seed available for them.

If you were a victim of the storms, you can ask for any of the seed that is listed and the givers will let you know if they still have that seed available. It would help the givers sharing out also if you were to list those things you were looking for too.

All those donating seed, I ask that you helpers send your seed to me by November 15th, so that I can put it all into everybody who asked envelopes and have them all mailed out to the receivers by December 1. If you so desire, when you send your seed, it would be appreciated if you would include a buck or two to help cover the cost of all the bubblers and postage for all the bubblers. Also, to make sure I don't miss anybody , when you send your seed, would appreciate you also sending along a list of what seed for who or place the seed in seperate baggies or somethign with the Dg'ers name on it.

Those that will be receiving the bubblers, they should reach you all in time for an early Christmas present.

This swap is for seeds only, if some of you have actual plants or bulbs to help these folks out, you will need to send private dmails and work somethign out with each other.

I know I have probably forgotten something and if so don't be afraid to holler or ask.

Seed offered up, or asked for can be anything from veggies , to flowers, to trees and shrubs. Some folks lost flowers and other lost their food sources and seed for next next.

I am not our resident Piggy swap Queen, but will do my best to make sure I get everybody out on a spread sheet.

Toronto, ON(Zone 5b)

For sure I can offer these seeds:

Liatris spicata
Salvia hispanica
Rudbeckia hirta

I'll ask my neighbours for some seeds if they can give; we planted new plants this year so not much seeds to share as of yet. Not sure if these are hardy to you guys regions' though, but I'll be glad to give seeds away to those who need them.

Eliz

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Here a start of some of what I have, if ya want something ya ask, first come first serve as long as I have enough. Wil keep adding to this thread as I go through my boxes in the fridge.

Osteospermum Giant Mixed 1
Penstemon 1
Strophostyles helvula Pink Fuzzybean Vine 1
Thunbergia Susie Mix 2
Torenia Clown Blue-White 1
Stock Vintage Mix 5
Aster Dwarf Milady Mix 2
Calendula Pacific Beauty Mixed 2
Monard bergamo 2
Calendula Pink Surpise 1
Baby's Breath White 1
Hollyhock Peaches and Dream 1
Gypsophila 1
A mixed pack of commercial seed for the color theme of Pink 1
A mixed pack of commercial seed for the color theme Blue1
Daylily seed mixed
Clitoria White 2
Shasta Daisy
Hollyhock Pink 4
Nasturnum Cherry Rose (7 seeds) 1
Snow In Summer Cerastium 1
Dusty Miller 3
Bachelor Button Mixed Colors 3
Nasturtium Caribbean Cocktail (8 seeds)
African Daisy 1
Nigella Love in a Mist mixed colors 3
Dahlia Figaro Mix 3
Pansy seed assorted colors ask me for specific color to many to list right now have about 15 different varieties

Chesapeake, VA

I can offer tomato and dwarf sunflower seeds.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

It's still early for my seed collecting but I just harvested a lot of Licorice Mint and Great Blue Lobelia so I can offer those right now.
So here's my list so far:
Licorice Mint
Great Blue Lobelia
Maltese Cross
Scabiosa 'Blue Butterfly'
Transylvanian Sage
Red Corn Poppy
Rose Campion

This message was edited Oct 4, 2008 10:51 PM

Central, LA(Zone 8b)

I survived Gustav here in Baton Rouge and it was rough!!! I received very little damage to my plants. I think this is a wonderful thing to do for the victims of these natural disasters. I have very few seeds but would like to share cuttings if anyone needs them. Just dmail me!!!

I have:

Tropical Hibiscus-5 or 6 different NOID
Green jade vine
Brazilian Cloak Flower

If I think of anything else I'll post.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i can also sharecuttings of tropical hibiscus-noids, and confederate rose cuttings. i might can get a few brug cuttings also.
please d-mail me

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

I also have some Iris tubers, they Tb's and have purple and have plain white. Dmail about them.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I was affected by both storms but I did a lot of collecting before they came. I have plenty of extra
Double purple Datura 20+
Tropical Milkweed 5
China Doll tree http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/54477/ 20
Yellow tecoma stans 2
Purple millet 3
Red Cleosa 5
Dutchman's pipe (A. elegance) 2
Cape honeysuckle 1
Pink and red Castorbean 3
I may be able to add more
I updated my trade list for seeds Dmail me for plants

This message was edited Oct 6, 2008 1:22 PM

This message was edited Oct 10, 2008 7:51 PM

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

Caren, i am sending your cuttings out on tuesday
kathy

Slidell, LA(Zone 8b)

I will have seeds to offer but know realistically i won't get to list them until later in the week.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

For now, a few I know I have and will gladly share....

Echinacea ~ common purple coneflower
Lycoris radiata ~ Naked ladies
Salvia ~ Lady in Red

What an excellent idea Starlight! Thank you....

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have some Blackberry Lily and Mammoth sunflower seeds I can send you. Oh, and lots of lavender with dark center Rose of Sharon.

This message was edited Oct 5, 2008 8:52 PM

Pittsburg, MO(Zone 6b)

I have loads of extra seeds and will gladly contribute. It will be a few days before I can get a list together.

I know the storms wrecked havoc everywhere, I lost all my tomato plants and a few other veges, but all is well here otherwise. I'm sure more DGers will help shortly.

North of Atlanta, GA(Zone 8a)

Robynz, I might have some tomato seeds for you. I got it in a trade late this summer and gave some to my next door neighbor. My DH is the only one eating tomatoes in my house, so I don't need alot.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

I have:
a few blackberry lily seeds
enough cypress vine seeds to start a forest
purple coneflowers
a few red turks cap
canna 'Angel Pink' (not sure they come true)
agastache 'Honey Bee Blue'
blue/white columbine (not sure they come true)
pink rock roses (pavonia)
liatris spicata
coreopsis Moonbeam

I also have salvia coccineas, Lady in Red and Coral Nymph, that are blooming, but they're new for me and I'll have to figure out what the seeds look like.

hickory, NC(Zone 7a)

i have some seeds i could send to someone
fuchsia 4oclocks
salvia greggii red
white tx hibiscus
red star hibiscus
i might have more will have to check

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

pbtxlady ~ they are teeniney black specks. LOL If you take a dried bloom stalk and shake it over paper, you will see the seeds. Salvia seed is quite easy to harvest.

Let me add, I have Celosia spicata ~ both pink candles and a purple variation and will also offer some fresh blackberry lily seeds too.

Starlight, this is the sweetest thing and the best idea in the whole world. I'll get my list ready in the next couple of days. I'll mostly have tomatoes so will edit my post for those who are interested. I'm sure I'll have other veggie seeds as well. :)
~Susan

(Debra) Derby, KS(Zone 6a)

I have tons of seeds, please dmail me...

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Pod, I'll check it out.

Starlight, these are the seeds I have ...

Cone Flower
Sweet Peas
Hibiscus Moscheutos Harty Red
Oleander Harty Red
Cosmos Pink, Red White Mix
Confederate Rose, Mix
Cone Flower
Yellow Bell Pepper
Red Bell Pepper
Orange Bell Pepper
OP Pepper Sweet Pickles Pepper
Basil, Italian Genovese
Italian Flat leaf Parsley
Tomato, Long Keeper
Tomato, Bloody Butcher

This message was edited to delete those chosen by Caren. :)

This message was edited Oct 27, 2008 12:52 AM

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Nope. Not yet, please. Nobody mail anythign to me until the end and then it will be just those seeds that folks have asked for.

I posted this thread in the Texas Gardenign forum and if anybody knows any other threads where folks are talking about the destruction and losses they had, please post a linkl in those forums too.

Yep, just hold on to your seed. If you have extra seed after this you can hold on to it for Suzy's annual Piggy swap. I knwo alot of the Galveston area people are stil shell shocked and tryign to figure out where they are goign to move and are picking up trailers and such to liv ein and some aren't even back on line yet.

So wil keep this open and up for them til the beggining of November and if need be longer for them.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Alot of Louisiana folks post on the Mid South forum.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I have some very black hollyhock seeds, candy lily seeds, lots of canna seeds if anyone wants some.

North West, OH(Zone 5b)

I still have tons of stuff left from last year. I will happily share anything that anyone else can use, but like a few of the other folks here it'll take me a bit before I can go through my bags and take an inventory. I will be back though!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Just wondering... has anyone asked for any of these seeds? I haven't collected all of mine yet, but I will if people are asking.

Edited to add: I live in Texas, so it's also easy for me to share plants and rooted cuttings. Anyone who needs anything I have (most of you know what they are), just let me know.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2008 7:37 PM

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

I think no one really wants to come out and ask or maybe no one wants to be first... I will look over the lists and post what I would like in a bit but I don't want to be first either lol!!
Caren

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Im not sure how you wanted this layed out so here it goes...
From starlight:
Stock Vintage Mix
Aster Dwarf Milady Mix
Monard bergamo
Pansy seed assorted colors

From Meredith:
Licorice Mint
Great Blue Lobelia

From Pbtxlady:
agastache 'Honey Bee Blue'
blue/white columbine

From I01:
Snap Dragon
Mexican Sun Flower
Foxglove
Apricot Sprit
Salvia Purple Knock Out

From Makshi:
candy lily seeds

Thank you all for offering your seeds! If there is anything you want from my list PLMK
Caren

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Caren, go ahead, please! Seriously. I know everyone feels bad about all the damage and wants to help out however they can.

By the way, I haven't forgotten that I owe you a Jacob Kline monarda. I had it for you in Jacksonville last June, but I got there late and never caught up with you. They went dormant over the summer, so I don't have any right now. But I will definitely root one for you in the spring.

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Hey, cool! We cross-posted! I'm so glad you said what you can use. :)

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

You got it right Caren. Glad ya asked, cuz that what this thread is for. Hopefully some other folks will quit being shy too and ask for what they would like. I know some folks still haven't got a home yet and busy with cleanup.

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

Thanks guys your the best!!

Oh Karen ... I'm so glad you let me know what you needed! :) I've got your name on them! :) Watch your Dmail.
~Susan

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

i have:
canna seed-corsica
canna seed-pink NOID
clematis seed-violet
nasturtium seed-empress of india
baptisia sees-blue
gloriosa lily seed
columbine-purple/white
marigold-peshes gold
morning glory-scarler o'hara
red canna-NOID

I have to donate the following:
-purple amaranth
-envelope of mixed morning seeds, different cultivars
-nicotiana sylvestris
-mexican hat seeds
-hyacinth bean vine seeds
-blackberry lilly
-beutyberry bush 'Issai'

rebecca30

Bellefonte, PA(Zone 5b)

I have these seeds if anyone is interested:
Cosmos Pink
Cosmos White
Thumbergia White
Shirley Poppy
Viola Perfect Blue
Rose Mallow
Gazania Rigens mix
Morning Glory Grampa Ott
Zinnia Crystal Orange
Coreopsis Jethro Tull
Penstemon Mystica
Gallardia Fiesta
Leaf Lettuce Red Sails
Basil

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Carin, I have you down for Licorice Mint and Great Blue Lobelia : ) I'm so glad someone finally asked for some!

Surely Karen isn't the only person who can use some of these wonderful seeds? Come on ...

South West, LA(Zone 9a)

422 views I know Im not the only one here looking!?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.