October...blooms?

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I know they're still out there... here's a Canna still in the race against time

Thumbnail by claypa

With all the rain we've had, this dead headed marigold flower had no trouble sprouting where it lay, on the edge of the driveway.

Thumbnail by claypa

This is one Norway maple whose leaves won't need raking again. Really looking forward to being able to grow ANYTHING back there!

Thumbnail by claypa

So it's October... there's still lots of stuff happening in the garden - let's see those pictures! Flowers, trees, shrubs, green grass from all the rain, kids, pets, what ever...

skipper enjoying an 'Autumn Joy' sedum

Thumbnail by claypa
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Great claypa, a new thread to post my 'October' blooms! I was really pathetic this summer and didn't take many pictures but I made up for it this past weekend - are you ready? LOL

I HAVE to post this one first. This is the Brugmansia (maybe Peaches n Cream?) that I mentioned on another thread. A friend sent us a cutting 3-4 years ago and this is the very first bloom!!! There are a half dozen or so more buds waiting to open and if we can avoid frosts for another week or so we should get more!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

No flowers here but I love this combination. NOID Geranium, tagged as Espresso but it's not! I really like how the Alternanthera spread around the base and picked up the dark spotting of the Geranium's foliage. It was even prettier last month when the Sedum blooms were still rosey pink!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Callicarpa 'Welch's Pink'. For the past two years this shrub has been pretty but not outstanding, not many berries. In the spring Rick threatened to yank it if it didn't perform well this year. I guess it was listening because it's loaded with berries this year! LOL

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Another Callicarpa - C. americana 'Berries & Cream'. Pretty variegation, although it keeps sending up plain green shoots. So far not much for berry set, but it stays because I planted it more for the variegation than the berries.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A few lingering Clematis blooms. This is the Clematis that was supposed to be a double blooming pink - NOT!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Always love seeing this one in the fall. Clerodendron bungei. We need to find a better spot for it though, it tends to be a rampant spreader and it will quickly swallow the new Ferns planted in this border unless we get it out of there!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Coleus planted in this border have filled in nicely over the summer.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

If I remember correctly this is Tilt a Whirl? Regardless, there are two planted here and found it interesting the difference in the foliage. The one on the left receives more sun and the other, just a few feet away, is shaded from the hot afternoon sun and is much more colorful!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I have to post this one, although it probably belongs on the "OOPS" thread! These Coleus were planted a few weeks after the others in the photos above. I have absolutely no idea what happened to them - they never grew! Can you even see them? LOL They're actually flowering but they never got any taller than 6", which is what they were when I planted them!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Taken from the other direction in this border - Salvia 'Golden Delicious', Pineapple Sage with brilliant gold foliage. This is the one the hummingbird was visiting last week but unfortunately wasn't around the morning I was taking pictures.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Looking across to the Gazebo, the Plectranthus planted in the container has exploded in the last month. If I could have taken the picture a month ago, you would have seen all the beautiful blue Lobelias in bloom plus you would have seen Blackie (potato vine) completely covering the edges of the container and creeping down into the Lobelias. I was so disappointed to come out one morning several weeks ago and find totally bare stems on Blackie - the groundhog had eaten every single one of the leaves :(

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A closer view of the Plectranthus. I had one planted here last year that I absolutely loved the almost electric blooms of. Although this isn't the same variety it's close enough and just as vigorous. I have gold foliage Hostas planted in this container but the Plectranthus has basically swallowed them!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Recently planted Rudbeckia 'Henry Eilers' with a few last blooms remaining. Next year these plants should be almost shrub-like and have tons of flowers.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Hardy Begonia. These poor things were windblown late last week, then rain on Saturday and finally standing back up with the sun on Sunday.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Lady Elsie Mae Rose reblooming. A better show of flowers in late May, early June but always love it when it springs back to life with a second blooming with the cooler weather.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A few lingering blooms on Buddleia lindleyana. Pretty blooms, usually about 6"-8" long - just the tips now showing flowers. This is one shrub every year I threaten to yank - very aggressive (suckering) but when it blooms I change my mind :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Loropetalum putting on a nice show! We had this sitting around for years in the pot before we finally got it planted, lost the tag and have forgotten which one it is.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Planted to the right of Loropetalum is Rostrinucula dependens http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/86141/, flowers just beginning to show their 'whiskers'. The flowers are so late that with early frosts some years we don't get to see it bloom.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Oops, forgot the other Roses! I can't remember the name of this one right now, a climber with the sweetest fragrance. Bees were all over it that morning but they were so fast I couldn't catch them for a photo!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Julia Childs reblooming :) Very pretty yellow but the foliage looks miserable after the summer.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

We've had this Salvia (I think it's 'Hot Lips'?) for years but it was in area where it didn't have enough sun. Earlier in the summer I yanked it, was going to toss it and then just stuck it in the ground until I decided what to do with it. I've decided I need to find a good spot for it because I forgot how pretty the flowers were :)

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Lady's Tresses in full bloom. They really like this area and I may have to add more!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Pollia japonica. Posted a picture earlier this summer of the white flowers which bloom in August. I like it almost as much when the flowers are gone and the black fruit forms!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Toad Lilies are doing their thing! Empress.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Miyazaki

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

T. formosana

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

'Gilt Edge'

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

'Togen'

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

'Moonlight Treasure' - very pretty yellow but the foliage usually looks like crap by the end of the summer :( The bees were all over this one that morning - kept circling and wouldn't pose for the picture!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I was looking for the bright red berries on this one - Viburnum lantana 'Variegata'. Couldn't find any berries but this guy posed for me! I sure hope he's feeding on whatever has attacked the foliage :(

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And caught this little guy walking away with lunch!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Last one for this morning and tomorrow I'll try to post pics of the plants on the deck - all of which have to be hauled inside before frost! Orchid I bought Rick for his birthday two years ago when it was in full bloom. No blooms last year but it's making up for it this year!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Rcn,

Thank you for your beautiful bloom pictures! So pretty.....

The pink Brug you posted, however, is NOT a Peaches and Cream. I have one of them. Grew HUGE this summer!
Pink Brugs are so many---and I am not a Brug expert, so I do not know which one you have. I have had these pinks: Rosamond--ForeverMohr--and my most reliable bloomer--Rose Souvelons.

P & C has variegated foliage and the blooms are not pink at all. They open milky-white, then change to a more cream color and then start "blushing" with a peach tint. Just before they fade all together--they have turned a nice peach color. Fragrance is quite sweet.

Here is my P&C Brug this Summer.....The yardstick is for size comparison. I wintere this over in a dormant state last Winter in my dark, cool basement. It was nowhere this big then--don't know what i will do with it this year????? (took cuttings today---would like to find a taker for the big plant itself.....)

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

This is my P&C last year. it was not as lush as it was this year. I guess it liked being in a bed better than in a pot above ground.....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here's a good sequence of what it looks like over a period of a few days.

This is the color as it opens up.

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here it is fully open....,

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.