Will Be Setting - up My EBs Soon AS Weather Allows?

SE Houston (Hobby), TX(Zone 9a)

try the mask....

Crestview, FL

TPlant: Ask about the nebulizer, you won't regret it, it helps a whole lot.
joy112854

Hey y'all ...
Lets all go pic maters for Tplant!!
evil grin ...

Tplant, good luck at the doc! Sending my T&P's. ^_^

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

I just got back from my treatment and will go again tomorrow afternoon. I'd rather go to him than have my own nebulizer because he is so close and we've been friends for 28 years. Besides, how else can I get rid of all my tomatos? Still have orders to rest and do nothing! Will see what he says tomorrow. However I did water my Jasmine trees, Orange, Papaya, and three fig bushes. My Star fruit is connected to Bocabobs watering system. Boy am I grateful for him helping and showing me how to set it up otherwise I surely would have had complete crop failure including my roses.

Tplant ...
A little off topic but what type of jasmines do you have?

Don't know? My DIL bought them from a farm stand and I trained them to small trees instead of bushes.

Corte Madera, CA

Star Fruit/Carambola is one of my favorites! We have a tree in our house when I was growing up.

Thanks for sharing, Tplant. Your photo brought back fond memories.

Annapet

Just curious. I'm a jasmine nut. LOL

Crestview, FL

TPlant and Garden Glory: Are you sure I can't grow the star plant up here where I am. (sniffles, sniffles). I just ordered another mess of seeds. My sister had a catalogue she gave me from Gurney's and they had this coupon for $20 with no strings attatched, all I gotta pay is shipping and handling. So; ordered some Silver Queen and Gotta Have It Hybrid Sweet Corn seeds, Lettuce Blend seeds, Avalanch Giant Pod seeds, Vital Green Spinach seeds and Gurney's Magic Hybrid Pumpkin seeds. Back to figuring out how to make more EBs now. LOL
joy112854

Joy -- you'll just have to face the fact that you can not grow everything everywhere. Refer to your zone number so you will know what you can grow? However you can grow persimmons which are delicious ripened from the tree. Just do a search? Will soon be off to the doctors office for another treatment.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Ditto EXACTLY what Tplant said, especially the persimmon part. Joy, I bought my wife a persimmon tree (Christmas present) one year. I'd highly recommend a "Sheng" persimmon, produces huge fruit and we got a couple in the second year. On the third year we got about 50 of them, the following year over 100! You can't go wrong w/that variety. Plus they are the kind that are not as astringent as the American persimmons. You'd love it! (Think persimmon pie, persimmon cookies, persimmon puddin'...eating persimmons right outta your hand! Yummy!)

Shoe (who had a low of 14º here this morning. Brrr.)

You mean a thermometer actually goes down that far?

Crestview, FL

Horseshoe: What is a persimmon? A fruit? Is it sweet? sour? Do you know I've never actually had one that I know of? I love star fruit, so will just have to swipe some from Ted's tree when I come to visit right Ted? LOOLLLL
joy112854

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep, Joy, 'tis a fruit. Not an overly sugary sweet fruit but has been described as 'sweet custard' by some, very tasty. The texture is similar to a ripe mango and the flavor is something all to its own. Here's a pic of a fully loaded tree (taken in the Fall after most of the leaves have fallen, which is when they really sweeten up!)

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

And aren't these the prettiest and most unusual-looking flowers?

Shoe

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Crestview, FL

Horseshoe: Now I will just have to try one to see what it tastes like, my mom used to love mangos, used to bring her some from south Florida every time I came up to see her as they grow wild down there. I got sick of them pretty fast. LOL What is the name of that flower?
joy112854

That is the flower of the persimmons tree.

Well shoe ... now that's a purdy tree ... but I'm a southerner, and I know what a green persimmon taste like. LOL You're right, those are good ... but for those who aren't familiar ... you better watch out! A green one will turn your mouth inside out! :-)

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

That is an understatement...and they can still be 'green' when orange. I tangled with one of those for the first time about a month ago. HORRIBLE

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hehehe, yes, unripe persimmons will sure get your attention!! Worse that sucking on an alum Popsicle!!

Fortunately there are varieties of persimmons now that don't need fully ripening to bypass that astringency. Most persimmons need to be hit by a good frost to fully ripen, newer varieties are bred to skip that part. Eat-it.com offers several good varieties and they have a good description of them all plus an online care guide if ya'll are interested.

Off to stretch my legs; woke up to 5 degrees here this morning so need to go get my blood running!

Shoe

Crestview, FL

Shoe: I'll be sure to try before planting. LOL My veggie garden is already about 5 times what I expected or wanted so am going to slow down some. I always do my planning on paper first to see how it will look and then do it.
joy112854

Hey I'm doing a lot better and my doctor said my lungs are finally clear but still must go for nebulizer treatments every day for a few more days. Meanwhile I gave the construction workers today a huge amount of tomatos and egglplants. The eggplants were Round Mauve, Bianca and Louisiana Longs. Sorry I didn't take pictures but it really was to cold for me to be out there but boy, were they happy with both. They are a great bunch of guys.
I'm surprised the eggplants did so well because the weather has been really to cool for them but they did it and really flourished. They must really like the coir as all I did was mix in two cups of 10-10-10 in my EB with the coir as I always do and WOW! Can't wait to start my peppers and melons.

Did you see my new thread?

Crestview, FL

TPlant: Glad you are feeling better now; but, I understand it is getting cold where you are so take it easy huh? Don't want to get down there on the 16th of February and find you ill ya know? I'm so looking forward to meeting with you and Bob both, it will be great.
joy112854

Went down to 37* here in So, Fl ? I didn't move down here for this and tonight it will get even colder. One thing as the sun comes up it does warm up quickly. I t will be in the low 60's during the day but I'm concerned about this evening when it may freeze? Guess I'll have to stay in again until then but I will sit out in the sun on my deck with a hot chocolate this morning for a little while as the sun is warm but go in the shade and it is cold.
Hey Mr Gore? What was that about global warming again? LOL & brrrr!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

I wish I could answer that last one..Al isnt my favorite dude.

Glad your better and yes I can attest at 20 this am on the patio, colder weather is just above you. My brugs and bananas are shot, bet it even got the peas...to chilly to check. It #$%# well better have gotten the fleas too!!!!

Jumping to a new thread. This one has gotten very long!

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/945068/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.