blooming in October

Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Aromatic Aster- Symphyotrichum oblongifolium

Thumbnail by chamthy
Smithfield, NC

Shari mine has started blooming too -- I love this aster.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Confederate rose just started blooming, I'll get a picture tomorrow. My camellias should start kicking in too.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

That's such a pretty aster. I'm gonna have to add that to my wish list. :)
Deb

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

my confed. rose opens tomorrow hopefully

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Always loved aster, What a nice photo you posted! ( I'm going to add it to my wish list too!)

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

This is an earlier photo, But, I do have toad lilys blooming..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

And the Hydrangea still had a bloom

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

And the Brug

Thumbnail by IRIS
Johns Island, SC

My Confederate Rose put it's first bloom out today. I've allowed it to grow for the past 5 years with only "convenience pruning" (i.e., in the way when we mowed the lawn), with some "logical pruning" (crossed branches etc.) snuck in. It's so loaded with buds that I thought I'd wait awhile to post a picture. My wife was planning to cut the thing back to the ground this winter, but now she's having second thoughts...starting to see the "big picture"...Hallelujah! But man, what a struggle! (My secret weapon was that she's scared of the chain saw, and doesn't know how to start it, let alone operate it...and it's gotten big enough now to require a chain saw to cut it down like she wanted).

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

LOL, I just whack at mine with loppers and it looks so bad and then the darn thing just springs right back to life to annoy me I am sure. It takes up soooooo much room and only looks good for a month or so. :-(((

Mine is covered with buds right now but it doesn't look like it will bloom for a while, our CR's down here are always much later it seems.

Still not sure ifI can get to the CHS tour Sunday but I am going to try and get away. And, Ted Stevens is speaking on the 13th, wow, I may have to get to that one.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

colocasia escuelenta has been blooming

Thumbnail by 1cros3nails4gvn
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

nice crinum that smells great

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

plumeria pudica has 6 inflos, not all visible.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

a cotton blossom closing up

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

here's my first confederate rose bloom this year. the plant is about 10' at its tallest, and in its 2nd year in the ground. well, more like 1 1/2 years. tomorrow night it will be hot pink

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Beat me to it.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Here's yesterdays turning pink.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

MG still going strong in fact looking good right now.

Thumbnail by CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Iris I got your number, let see what macro pics I can come up with. LOL. Flowers looking good.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

The unknown hedychium is in full bloom. Sure wish I still had the tag because this one is a winner.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Salvia leucantha is in its prime. The bees and butterflies love it... but I haven't seen any hummingbirds in almost a week so I suspect they've already moved south.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

nice hedy Tom, Dr. Moy is starting to bloom, and Moy Giant is reblooming now, I'll try and get pictures today, my camera is acting up

This tricyrtis was a seedling that parented a bunch of other seedlings...

Thumbnail by Tropicanna
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Trop: My Moy Giant is reblooming now, too! Love your tricyrtis.

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

CoreHHI - Your H. mutablis is very pretty... I gave up on it here because they'd always start blooming just before the first frost killed them. I dug it up and gave it to my parents in northern Florida (Pensacola) - it's much happier there.

Here's fall ageratum/blue foamflower - Conoclinium coelestinum

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Here's another hedychium with no name tag.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Some evil critter ate most of the garden writer spider egg cases last winter (in the spring I found they had little holes drilled in them) but apparently a few managed to survive. In this picture, the large spider is the female and the tiny one at the top left is the male. (Argiope aurantia) In many spider species, this sexual dimorphism is common, with the males being much smaller than the females. After mating the females often eat the males. Well, this guy's days are numbered anyway - first hard freeze and they're done. Might as well go out with a bang.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Smithfield, NC

Lovely pictures Tom.

American Beautyberry

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Pineland Hibiscus

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Duchesse de Brabant

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Smithfield, NC

Rothsay Reveler

Thumbnail by sweetbay103
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Nice photos! I use to have American Beautyberry when I lived in the North, Always liked seeing the purple berrys!

Kannapolis, NC

Sweetbay: Nice beautyberry and dahlia!

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

The deer have already finished all the berries on my callicarpa. Thanks for the pictures, now I know what I am missing. LOL

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

The monarchs are finally here. I did not get any larvae on my milkweed last month so these must be migrating through on their way south.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Lots of Painted Ladies around - must have been 6 or 8 just on this butterfly bush.

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Rose 'Crepuscule'

Thumbnail by TomH3787
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Next year I must plant at least one Dahlia. Sweetbay- I think I liked one of your seedlings the best of the ones I've seen posted.

Can you grow 'Crepuscule' freestanding? I'm hardscape challenged. I just never get around to it.

This is one of my favorite annuals to grow from seed. I've been lazy and just enjoyed the plants that reseeded these last few years.

Zinnia angustifolia

Thumbnail by chamthy
Selma, NC(Zone 7b)

Muhlenbergia lindheimeri

Thumbnail by chamthy
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Shari - Crepuscule needs some support - it's not a shrub. I have mine planted next to a corner of the backyard fence. I really don't do much training - every once in a while if one of the new canes is sticking out too much I just wrap it around the fence boards. It seems pretty well-behaved, not like R. mutabliis or New Dawn that can turn into monsters.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.