Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Two..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

And three..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Uh-oh, Is everyones hummingbirds gone??
I still have a couple coming around, Here's my photo for today..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I had this one late yesterday afternoon. I didn't see any today, but I was kind of busy, in & out and gone for awhile.

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Hopefully you'll have sightings tommorrow.. Looks like that ones keeping an eye on that bee!

Palestine, TX(Zone 8b)

I had one today. A lone female. At least I think it was the same one. I miss the twittering horde already.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Well, One thing about the South, Winter seems to go by fast and Springs here again before we know it..Along with the twitillers! ( Nice thought!)

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

I had two this morning and one this afternoon. I'll have to download pix tomorrow.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Looking forward to them Mrs_Ed!

PERTH, Australia

So am I.

Well here are yesterday's pictures. Not so good, through the window. The one on the right is from the morning. The one on the left is from the afternoon.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

It was too quiet outside yesterday without them flying around and chattering.

Marlton, NJ

Very nice Mrs Ed!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Indeed they are!

Lawrenceville, GA

I thought all mine were gone, too, but I must be getting what's coming through from the north. I had one surprise me at my kitchen window this AM when I opened the blind. He was feeding from the feeder hanging from a suction hook. I think I startled him... he kind of flew back and gave me a look like, "easy on that blind, lady. I'm trying to eat."
I also had surprise visitors yesterday eating meal worms... probably a dozen bluebirds! I usually don't have them with any frequency and certainly not in great number... maybe one or two a week at best... through the summer until the leaves are off my trees in my backyard and it opens up. But they were coming from ALL DIRECTIONS yesterday when I put mealies out. I told my cocker spaniel (yes I talk to my dogs) who accompanies me on my bird feeder refill missions "this winter is going to get expensive." I usually don't start going through a lot of mealworms until November.

oh Judy, how COOL!!!!

Well not decent pictures but had two today. One at the front window was soooo tiny. And one out back. So as long as they are still coming through here, you probably have others down there.

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I finally have a picture to share! I love y'alls hummer pictures so much! That detail Mrs. Ed is just amazing!

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

I wasn't going to post this one because I cropped it so much that it might just be a blur. I can't resist though! Hummer at the banana flower.

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Marlton, NJ

Very neat! I love that first pic!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Judy, It must have been so awsome to see all the BB's there at one time!! I like the way you write.. Too funny!
I had some BB's coming through here on and off lately, Especially when I've been digging in the garden! They love to get whatever bugs are dug out! Haven't had as many as you though ...Wish I would!

Mrs_Ed, I've had a couple teeny-tiny ones come through too, They are so small, I hope they make it along there way ok!

Elphaba, I like those shots more so then when getting them at the feeders ( As I usually do) Great job, I especially like that first one!

Mine for tonignt...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

And No. 3..

Thumbnail by IRIS

Nice Iris.

Elph, that first one is really so adorable. It sort of embodies the whole "magical fairyland" feeling that hummingbirds evoke. Just a cute little bell flower!

I have to agree Elphaba, that first one is a winner!!

Lucky you Iris!! I did have a visitor at the feeder this evening. But it was dark and rainy so I didn't attempt any pics.

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am with the gang Elphaba that first one is great.... lovely shots Iris

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks nanny_56 and onewish1!
Nanny, It's hard to get a photo when it's getting dark , Especially when it's raining too! I usually don't get much of a chance to get shots untill the early evening/evening and though they are usuallly ok, It's definately better to get them when it's daytime. Hope you have a better day for it tommorrow.

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

I am happy to see that we still have a RT Hummer thread and the beautiful pics as well! All of the regulars are long gone here in SW Mo but still have daily visitors passing through. Here is a pic taken almost a month ago!

Thumbnail by dellrose
PERTH, Australia

And Rose, we're all happy to have you back. BIG welcome.

That is a pretty one Rose...and you know I am glad to see ya back!

We misssseeedddd you. oxoxoxoxoxo

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

I don't take pictures of our RT hummers but I watch them all the time from our "game room" at the patio. We have 4 hangers close together so I can sit in one spot to watch. We have only the girls here now as the guys are gone south. The girls are in constant turmoil and hilarious to watch. There are still 4 of the girls still here. The males left shortly after Ike left. We have lots of females stay overwinter here. After the storm we could safely put our feeders out and the hummers were here instantly. The blue jay family was out as was the cardinal family and had lots of things to eat that had blown down from the big trees.

Ann

Marlton, NJ

Beautiful pic Rose!

Ann, Thats so great you have them all winter!

Dover AFB, DE(Zone 7a)

Great pic, Rose! So glad to see you are back on-line now!

Rockport, TX(Zone 9a)

OMG Rose! I want to be you when I grow up! (Don't worry, it's never going to happen!) The detail on that beautiful picture is just sooooo amazing!

I suppose a hummer on a telephone wire is less exciting that at a flower or a feeder, but here she is anyway!

Thumbnail by Elphaba
Lawrenceville, GA

Thanks, Iris!
I think I'm down to one hummingbird... and every time I go to the window, he's at one feeder or the other as if to say "just because those stupid bluebirds are here... don't forget me and start hosing me on the sugar water." He's just a little snot. He'd better bulk up for the flight.
My mom said she has a few left in Missouri so maybe I'll have 'em for a bit longer. It's really starting to cool off at nights here, though.
Those bluebirds are a hoot! The bowl is sitting on the rail of my deck... it's an "L" shape and the blues line up on both sides of the rails and take turns at the bowl. When the ones behind them in line think they feeding ones have been at the bowl long enough, they start giving them the signal by chattering at 'em something awful! I know what bluebird cuss words sound like, and it's pretty cute!
OH YEAH: I know this is a hummer thread, so please forgive me for sneaking in other birds... but I also want to mention my pileated WP was back this past weekend. I couldn't find it at first, just heard it hammering away, and went searching for it in my backyard... I got under a tree and something landed in my hair... it was a wood chip... So I looked up and saw him. WHAT A TRIP! And then he started hammering away and you'd have thought he was at the top of the tree scattering a bag of mulch... the chips were really flying.
Ya'll have a blessed day.

This message was edited Oct 8, 2008 6:16 PM

Elphaba, it well know that I just love hummers on the wires!! lol

Heyjudy, you need to pop in more often! Watching the BB's must be a hoot!

The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone...I really missed being here more than I could ever say!

Ann, you are lucky to still have more than the passing Hummer!

Elphaba, I love to see the Hummers sitting on the wires...they always remind me of little kids trying to look all big and grown up! That is a really sweet pic!

Judy, I love the BB's too and they come everyday to check out "their" nestbox!

I am having Hummer withdrawal so I will post a few from last month.

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Same dude!

Thumbnail by dellrose
The Ozarks, MO(Zone 5b)

Last one for now!

Thumbnail by dellrose
Marlton, NJ

Gorgeous pics Rose! I love the second one.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.