Ruby-throated Hummingbirds Vol.15

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

It seems so amazing that we are up to vol. 15! I'm sure it will be ending for the season for many of us soon, But, Lets see if we can keep the posts going for as long as possible of these Little Flying Jewels! Please join in and share your photos of them. If you don't have any Hummingbirds left around for this year, Share your favorite pictures of when you did have them.

Here's a link to Vol. 14 if anyone wants to stop by/ back in... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/906259/

Here's a recent evening photo ( Sept30th) to start with.....

Thumbnail by IRIS
Marlton, NJ

Nice start IRIS! Thank you!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Thanks pelletory! And "Your Welcome!"

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

that is lovely.

I discovered that I could use a flash out the kitchen window for the dusk diners. Now If I could have just remembered to change the ISO! Tomorrow is another day!!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Nice Iris!!

Mrs. Ed. keep 'em coming!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

love that blue color Nanny

Marlton, NJ

I like that shot Marna! Nice shot nanny!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

LOL Mrs.-Ed! And Nice shot!
Nanny, They sure do love those salvia's don't they?! Good one!

I am in love with this particular hummie. He's so chubby and calm!

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

and just for fun, check out these feathers.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

And chubby she is Mrs._Ed! Nice captures! And look at that end floresence!

actually a HE I think, because there is a little spot I can see. I just told DH I had a new crush.

These were taken this morning through the window with flash. thank GOODness I got a picture!

Don't they just look so cute like that!! I told DH they look like green & white cottonballs!

SO glad you got some pics of your cutie.

Got these the other day while I was waiting for the BF's to cooperate!

Thumbnail by nanny_56

and I really like this one!!

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

So cute Mrs Ed and great shot!

nany I love those catches of yours!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mrs._Ed, I didn't see the red dot so I was assuming it was a hr, Sorry about that... Pictures come out great even though it's through a window.

nanny, Great "Air Ballot"!

Iris, you know, it never really seemed RED to me, just a dark spot. I was hoping it would still be here the rest of the day, but i haven't seen it. Saw a new slender one.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Mrs._Ed, It always seemed to me that that small spot on the juvie males here always had some small amount of floresence to it, But not really positive. Mine are doing the same here, One left and another came in, Seems like there awitching now.

Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Everyones pictures are awesome! I love your experiment iris, the pictures came out nice even though I have no Idea what a street light is. Do you mean an actual streetlight?
Mrs Ed I really think you should check this out - http://www.nehummers.com/NE%20Hummers%20Selas%20ID.htm
I think you may have a Selasphorous there. : ) Are those common in your area? If not I'm sure some hummingbird migration people in your area would love a sighting report.

After looking at more pictures it also looks like it could pass for a female rofous!?
I am no expert, so you'd need someone elses opinion, but when I saw how chubby your bird looked I immediately remembered seeing these comparison photos on the New England hummers website.

This message was edited Oct 1, 2008 8:07 PM

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Meredith79, Thanks, Ánd the street light is like the kind you buy at Lowes that has the three lamps on it that looks like the old time street lights.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Mrs Ed I really think you should check this out - I think you may have a Selasphorous there. : )

Could be; can you try and get a pic of it with its tail fanned out? That would help identification a lot.

Resin

ooooohhh???? I think he might be gone already. I'll check my other photos and also hopefully it might be here tomorrow.

Well no fan tail, but here is the tail.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Southeastern, NH(Zone 5b)

Thanks iris, my hummers are gone for the year but I am watching you all and learning. I can't see them in my own yard anymore but at least I can enjoy everyone's here. I'm planning on trying out a little hummer 'studio' (like the ones in the links) next year. : )

and from the night before. Pretty sure this was the same one.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

also from last night

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed

and finally

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Meredith79, Your Welcome. I don't have a 'hummer studio" yet either and I'd like to try it next year also, Thats why I tried to just give the street lamp light a shot, To see if it would make much difference with an above light source coming in from a side direction.

Yesterday morning we were down in the 40's and it only got up to around 60 dgrees. I saw no males at all yesterday but still had at least 3 hummers around.

Mrs. Ed that would be so cool!

This message was edited Oct 2, 2008 8:24 AM

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Marlton, NJ

Wonderful pics Mrs Ed!

Nanny, We are having those same weather conditions today and tomorrow.
Sorry your male is gone;nice pic!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Great pics Mrs_Ed And nanny. Colder weather's coming, Our Little Flying Jewels will be gone soon ( Sad, I'll miss seeing them)

I put 3 feeders by each other and had 3 different hummers come around today, Seems it's few and far in between now, Not showing up every 15 minutes now.
A few of todays photos, I took these at a good distance away so as not to disturb the newbies coming in..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

#2..

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

#3...

Thumbnail by IRIS
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

#4...

Thumbnail by IRIS

Nice pics Iris..do keep us informed on how it goes grouping the feeders.

Backfeeder...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Back...

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Front feeder

Thumbnail by nanny_56
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Will do nanny, And enjoyed your newest photos!

The girls aren't doing near as much chasing now...and taking long turns at the feeders. Not the quick drive thrus of days past.

Thumbnail by nanny_56

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.