How's your Tiramisu and Miracle coloring? and couple others

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Nothing much has been going on here in this forum so I thought I'd post a few pictures. I just planted alot of things I bought over the summer (nothing like waiting until the last minute) and thought you might like to see them. They were still in their pots at this time... here's

Georgia Peach with Frosted Violet (top left)... how about that color on Georgia Peach? Love it!
Melting Fire (top right)
Miracle - getting a bit more color all the time (bottom left)
Tiramisu - also getting more color (bottom right)

Our temps have been warm during the day - upper 70's, low 80's and 50's at night. This week we are due to be cool, mid 50's to low 60's, so I'm interested to see if they will get even redder yet.

Thumbnail by medinac
(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Gorgeous color! Love that Georgia Peach. So pretty. I haven't noticed much change in any of my heuchs yet. We've had cloudy, cool and drizzly weather for the past week so hopefully it won't be too much longer before I see some changes.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Medinac, Your Heuch's are beautiful. My Georgia Peaches are half way turned. Tiramisu looks a lot like yours. I have no change in Miracle yet. Here's Peach Flambe.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Medinac, I hope you will post a photo of them planted. Good luck with your reworked bed. Dolce Creme de Menthe is undergowing very subtle yet striking changes.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

stormyla - Ah! Are you saying that Georgia Peach doesn't keep that vibrant color season long? Wait, you're going to tell me it starts greenish like Peach Flambe and then changes to the Peach color...right?

Your Peach Flambe is looking good and Creme de Menthe, like you said, is very striking, bet that one shines in the garden.

I will get a picture of the newly planted area. I wanted to get a picture before my dog proofing was done but the dogs were already clomping through and stepping on them, errr! Had to put the chicken wire rings around them so it looks a bit tacky. Oh well, at least that trains them to stay out of that area.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Lovely pics! I took some pictures over the weekend but forgot to check out the new Heuchera bed for the changing colors. I'm curious what Creme de Menthe is looking like now that the nights have turned cooler. It usually has the most luscious rosey-pink hues in the fall. Here's what it looked like in July.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Medinac, That's right, it's green then turns peach. RCN, you were right about Creme de Menthe. I went back to the nursery and bought two more, but I should add more. It really lights up dark spaces. I also love the blueish overtones.

Ottawa, Canada

Love the coloring on the Georgia Peach (think it will have to go on the list lol). As for miracle.....it might be a miracle if it is here next year! One little leaf (a new one too) is showing red. The rest...solid green, hasn't gotten much bigger either :(. Tiramisu hasn't shown and pink/red either, but she has shown to be a good grower and has had some changes between green to more chartreuse.

Given that it was 3 degrees celsius last night, you would think I would have seen something!!!!

Brenda

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

After preparation for near freezing temps last night I am totally wiped out this afternoon :( So I relaxed for a few hours and took the camera outside to grab some photos. Pleased to report that there is some change in Miracle, even though only slight changes. Like everyone else, I'm still waiting for the "miracle"!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

A little closer, can you see it? At this point I'm tempted to chop off all the older foliage to highlight the new foliage!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Next up, Tiramisu. These poor babies were tiny when first planted but happy to report that they're growing and finally showing some color in their centers.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Grabbed the photo of Creme de Menthe while I was at it. They still haven't reached the rich rosy color I remember them having last year in other areas of the garden but they're trying! What I especially like about this one is the foliage has an almost satin gloss, hard to describe and even harder to capture in the photo.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Georgia Peach isn't as 'peachy' as it was earlier in the spring but still very pretty, more of a rosy-pink now. Another one that's tough to photograph, at least in the late afternoon. Maybe I should try taking one in the early morning light?

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

I wasn't sure what to think about this one ('Mystic Angel') earlier in the year but I'm really liking the colors that are forming in the center - similar to the 'Beauty Color' that I always liked for the red-pink margins over the winter. It will be interesting to see how it looks in another month since it's undergone so many changes in the past few months.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Another one I wasn't thrilled with earlier this year, thought it was too similar to 'Green Spice'. This is 'Venus' and it has much more silver than the 'Green Spice' planted to its right and I've changed my mind - I like it, maybe even more than 'Green Spice'!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

'Pistache' was another one that was extremely tiny when planted and slow to come on, but it's finally showing some larger leaves and makes a bright addition to this garden.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Speaking of "this garden" - this is the new Heuchera bed we planted in July. Looking up the hill with a border of Hostas which will fill in next spring.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

And looking 'down' the hill - oh yeah, I forgot - please disregard all the weeds, I wanted to get the photos and didn't have a chance to weed first!!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Gorgeous pics rcn... especially your Mystic Angel. Heucheras really thrive for you!

Are those carex or hakonechloa in your last photo? (right-hand side) I have a few different varieties of carex planted near my heucheras. They seem to like the same conditions and make a nice companion plant.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Thanks plutodrive :) We've had problems with the Heucheras in other areas of the gardens but at least this group seems to be thriving! This area had nothing in it other than a few trees and shrubs that were planted about 5-6 years ago. It was heavily mulched at the time with hopes of some day planting when the trees grew enough to provide shade and this was the year! Usually the sticky red clay is miserable for planting but the worms have done their job over the years and we were pleasantly surprised when we started planting. Since this was a major planting of Heucheras we really wanted to give them every chance to do well and made the extra effort to amend each planting hole plus gave each plant a dose of fertilizer when planted. We also bit the bullet and bought bags of mulch for this bed. We usually just spread hay but thought the mulch would look much nicer for this one bed.

And yes, Hakonechloa 'Aurea' is planted along the front edge of the path with 'Beni-kaze' behind it. 'Beni-kaze' is supposed to turn red in the fall but like 'Miracle' we're still waiting for the gorgeous color it's supposed to have :(

Forgot to post these two - foliage of 'Caramel' is returning to its true color with the cooler nights.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

'Alabama Sunrise' has lost the bright gold foliage of spring but the dark centers are outstanding!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Hampton Roads, VA(Zone 7b)

Fabulous pix, everyone! I've added a few more heuchera to my, ahem, 'short' list...

rcn, your beds look stunning with all those varieties!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

RCN, As usual your gardens are gorgeous. I like those Venus and Mystic Angel. My Pistache looks wonderful too. Another Chartreuse one that I have several of is Harvest Lemon, but never see any posts on it, nor is it listed in PF. A pure Heuchera bed is a wonderful idea and you have done it so well.

We've seen Georgia Peach & Peach Flambe. Can someone post Peach Melba?

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

rcn - Gorgeous bed and your plants are really thriving. Like stormyla - I like the Venus and Mystic Angel. I just planted Pistache too. I wasn't all that excited about it when I bought it, thought it was just kinda plain. But! When I planted it, I couldn't believe how it lights up, draws your eye right to that area. I'd like to see Peach Melba too.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Harvest Lemon sounds interesting, is it the same as Harvest Lemon Chiffon? http://www.plantworksnursery.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/plants.plantDetail/plant_id/1318/cfid/37284991/cftoken/44440007/index.htm
Looks a lot like Key Lime Pie but I like the name, HLC, better :)

I'm beginning to like 'Guardian Angel' as well - another "Angel" I wasn't sure about. If memory serves me correct it's the one pictured above behind 'Pistache'. I pruned these back in June before planting and they've almost tripled with foliage since being planted in the garden. I looked for a picture of Peach Melba, it's in that bed somewhere? Give me a day and I'll try to grab a pic to post. I love the peachy rose of the foliage in spring but by mid summer it's tough to tell if it's Peach Melba or Creme Brule they both look so much alike. Odd because they both look so different in spring!

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's Harvest Lemon Chiffon.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's one planted in another part of the garden. I believe it is turning yellow.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

I've been waiting for the Hypericum Allbury Purpea to turn to it's fall purple to see how Pistache would look with it. It will probably be gorgeous when Pistache grows up!!!!

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Heuchera Mint Frost is almost completely silver now.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Beautiful AND healthy Lemon Chiffon! I'll have to keep my eyes "peeled" for this one :) Be patient with your Pistache, I was about ready to give up but now that it's finally starting to grow I think it's going to be huge. If it does grow to have leaves as large as Autumn Bride or Mocha I'll be thrilled!

Saint Louis, MO

Beautiful pics everyone!
I planted Peach Flambe in June and it was green at the time. It never did much all summer but now it's growing new "peach flambe" colored leaves from the center.
Do all peach flambe do this in the fall, ie grow new leaves of the peach color?
Here's a picture taken on 9/21.

Thumbnail by truongr
Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Very happy to find this thread! It's good to hear that other folks have had the same experiences with their Tiramisu and Miracle as I have. I thought I was going to like Miracle more, but so far I'm definitely happier with Tiramisu. Mine look just about exactly like the pix above. My Miracle have a couple of tiny new leaves that look kind of red, but the plants are still quite small- they have not grown like Tiramisu has-and they've been together in the same environment since they arrived.

Oh, and lovely heuchera pictures everyone! That Lemon Chiffon is very interesting-it does look like Key Lime Pie, very nice leaves. I've never heard of Lemon Chiffon before, but I got a couple tagless plants this spring that I was told were Citronelle and they were quite yellow. I didn't really think they were Citronelle-I thought they looked just like Key Lime Pie, probably my favorite green Heuchera.
I was worried they'd bleached in sun, so I kept them in shade, but now I'm wondering if somehow I ended up with Lemon Chiffon instead.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Susybell, the leaf shape on Citronelle and Harvest Lemon Chiffon are very different. Try looking them up in PF or Google and compare leaf shapes.

truongr, Pleach Flambe doesn't grow new peach leaves. The existing green leaves turn peach colored. It's just coincidence that your young leaf emerged peach colored.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Stormyla, I think you misunderstood what I wrote. I said that I bought a plant I was TOLD was Citronelle, but that it LOOKED like Key Lime Pie, a much prettier plant, in my opinion. My assumption was that they were bleached out Key Lime Pies, but hearing that there's one that goes lemon yellow ( Lemon Chiffon) I am now wondering if that is actually what I bought and not more KLP's. As there are posts above discussing how similar KLP & HLC are, this seems quite possible to men and exciting to think I may have stumbled on one that's totally new to me. = )

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's a photo of a new Mahogany. I love the cranberry color of these. They really stand out in the beds. There's one small leaf taking on a peachy color.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

This young Pinot Gris keeps displaying wonderful colors.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Here's Peach Flambe.

Thumbnail by stormyla
Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Georgia Peach

Thumbnail by stormyla
Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

truongr and stormyla - In my experience with Peach Flambe, once mine begin to turn the nice peachy color - this year in July - they would grow new peach colored leaves.

stormyla - thanks for posting your pictures. Your Georgia Peach is so pretty. I just love that color.

Norristown, PA(Zone 6b)

Medinac, I wonder why your Peach Flambe started turning so early. Was it new to you this year? I've heard of growers refrigerating them.

My observations have determined that the youngest and emerging leaves are most susceptible to the effects of cooler temperatures, They turn color first. Follow that, by those highest up on the plant, or the most exposed.

The Peach Flambe I've shown above has not grown any new leaves since the summer, nor have most of the others, yet there are color changes in all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.