new home - new to pear tree -can you help identify & care?

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi, me and the DH are in the process of moving into our very first home. In the backyard there is a very stressed pear tree. We have several immediate questions about reviving this tree if possible. Identification and general care.

It appears the tree has been neglected in the 3 or 4 months it was under the ownership of the bank. The fruit was never picked off the tree. It appears to have not been watered on a regular basis.

The current state of the tree is poor. He doesn't look healthy. It's lost a lot of it's leaves, of the remaining leaves some are still green, some however look dry and dead. The tree looks on it's last leg to me.

We have removed most of the fruit. We have been watering everyday for about the past week. We are watering by putting the house directly on the ground and letting it run for a period of time in one area, and then moving it to the other side of the tree.

What should we do? We are considering calling a Tree Dr to have a look and tell us the condition of the tree. We want to do whatever we need to do in order to save it - assuming it needs saving. We are new to the state as well as new to being the caretakers for fruit trees.

The picture I am attaching was taken more than a month ago. I will get another picture tomorrow of the current condition. Any help would be appreciated.

The picture attached is not a recent photo it was taken about 6 weeks ago. I am attaching this in hopes someone can identify. I will attached a more recent photo tomorrow.

Thank you!

This message was edited Sep 28, 2008 12:17 AM

Thumbnail by blackThumbz
La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Don't go overboard with the water or you'll drown it. Once a week should do at this time of the year. This time of year you don't want it to put out new growth. There are a few products in the market, such SuperThrive, that will help develop and maintain a root system. A close up photo of a pear would help to ID at least as to the type. UC Davis Cooperative Extension Service has an office there in Santa Rosa. Contact them for help.
http://cesonoma.ucdavis.edu/sbdisplay/stafflist.cfm?county=2161
Here's some excellent links:
http://homeorchard.ucdavis.edu/links.html
http://fruitsandnuts.ucdavis.edu/

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

Hi bettydee,
we had a tree service come out to the house today. He think it will be ok. He told us to continue watering about once a week. And also suggested we add some soil supplements. He told us not to touch the tree at this point, no pruning, etc. Give ti a few months and thinka bout pruning.

So with fingers crossed and fresh soil and weekly watering we hope to be fruitful next year :)

Thanks for the links I will have a look there as well.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Did the man say soil supplements or new soil? Soil supplements implies having the soil tested around the tree and replacing those nutrients the soil is missing or low on. Heaping new soil on top of the existing level could damage the roots or kill them depending on how much soil is added. Some trees more more sensitive than others about changing soil elevation, but most react negatively. Removing some of the top soil and replacing it with new soil could also have detrimental effects if the feeder roots are damaged.

Santa Rosa, CA(Zone 9b)

Well now, I am not sure. I will have to ask DH, he is the one that was there to speak with the tree guy.
He said a soil supplement. I was not there when the tree Dr was there.
DH called me and told me to get soil supplement for fruit trees. I went to the garden shop and explained to the man the situation with the pear tree, and that the tree dr told us to get a soil supplement for fruit trees.
I bought something called gromulch, which is half soil and half mulch.

We have not put it down yet. Maybe we need to research a little more before we do. Thanks for the heads up.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I suggest a good organic mulch. Compost -- you can buy commercial compost if you don't have any of your own. But put your lawn clippings, if you have any, under the dripline of the tree. Manure works too, but make sure it is well aged. Straw or pecan shells would work as well. The important part is to keep the area underneath the tree covered with some organic matter which will help the water in the soil keep from evaporating and will slowly decay and feed the tree. Back-to-earth would be good. But having your soil tested and seeing what is missing is an excellent idea.
It may be dried out, but it is a good looking tree, as far as I am concerned. Maybe it just didn't get any water during the transition from one other to another. A couple of inches of mulch from the trunk to the drip line will keep the water from evaporating and will moderate the extremes of soil temperature -- so it doesn't get too hot during the day and too cold at night.
It would help to see a closeup of the pears and the leaves.
It wouldn't hurt to taste a pear as well. Is it still sour or has it ripened? Is it soft or gritty?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.