Pictures to enjoy through Winter Boredom - Beardless

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

IrisloverD, Do you think any of these will survive in my area. I might like to try a cple to see. Some of the Siberians I'm thinking as IrisMa said.

Lebanon, OR

They will grow down to zone 4a

There are so many beautiful ones

D

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I would think siberians to zone 3, especially if you have snow cover in the winter. JoanJ tried some Japanese for me in zone 3, and they did not make it.

Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

I would definately try Caesar's Brother. It survives under all conditions. Try to get it from someone in your area but if you can't, then contact me next spring and I'll dig some from lakeside. Lots of weeds here.

Thumbnail by mittsy
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

rebloomnut,

The species Japanese irises, like the one I posted above from Russia are hardy to Z3. Also the versicolors and virginicas are Z3 hardy.

Dark Aura is one of my favorites for the coloring of the stems, along with the flowers.

Dark Aura stems:

Thumbnail by pollyk
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Dark Aura flowers:

Thumbnail by pollyk
South Hamilton, MA

Did I misunderstand class? Dark Aura is a robusta.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Nope, IrisMA you're absolutely right. We both are. Versicolors X virginicas are called robustas :)

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I am inclined to try a few next year and see how they do. Where we are we don't always get snow cover but do get cold dry winds inbetween snows and that might make it harder. I guess I won't know till I try. May get ahold of you in the spring to try spme. Thanks a bunch.

do they need more fertilizer that bearded?

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

No. The siberians (or versicolors and virginicas) really don't need any fertilizer. A sprinkling of compost or well rotted manure in spring is sufficient. The Japanese on the other hand are heavy feeders.

I would give a couple a try, if I were you. I would also get them in the spring, so they have the whole summer and fall to settle in and grow deep roots. I would also try the old standbys such as Corornation Anthem, or maybe Baby Sister that are very vigorous. A few inches of mulch around them would help. And when you water them, water deeply to help establish deep roots.

It's worth a try, and the older standbys aren't too expensive.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Siberian iris Coronation Anthem.

Tetraploid, vigorous, and very hardy.

Thumbnail by pollyk
Houghton Lake, MI(Zone 4b)

I have been lurking here for a few years. So many beautiful pictures! Always find new ones to add to my wish list. Two years ago I was bitten by the beardless bug and really love how much easier they are to care for than tall bearded, but still love them all. Here is a picture of my first JI that I planted last year. It bloomed for the first time on September 11th.

Shadow

JI, Sing the Blues

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Siberian, Banish Misfortune.

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous. No wonder that one was an award winner! And bloom on 9/11. What a surprise that must have been.

Oops we cross posted. I was referring to Sing The Blues as an award winner.

Very, very nice picture of Banish Misfortune!

This message was edited Oct 4, 2008 11:07 AM

Siberian, Blueberry Fair

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Polly, I was very surprised to have it bloom on 09/11. I really love your beardless pictures.

Caesar's Brother

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Siberian, Charming Billy

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Siberian, Echo the Wind

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Siberian, Magnum Bordeaux

Thumbnail by Mshadow

JI, Pinkerton

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Siberian, Ruffled Velvet

Thumbnail by Mshadow

Siberian, Sea of Dreams

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

Thank you! And I love your pictures, also. More please!

So you apparently have no problem with Japanese irises in Z4b? How much snowcover do you get?

This one had 4 falls! This is my last beardless picture. Hope to have more next year.

Shadow

Siberian, Impression

Thumbnail by Mshadow
Port Washington, NY(Zone 7a)

Gorgeous pictures, shadow. Thank you for sharing them.

The last few winters at least 2 feet of snow. Sure am not looking forward to that though. :)

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

I am back. was gone a few days. Those are beautiful pictures. About how many blossoms do you get on Sibs and when is the normal bloom time.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

You can get tons of blooms on a mature clump. Usually 2-3 max per bloom stem, but 40-50 bloom stems on a large clump. I would expect yours would flower in early June. Maybe some of the earlier ones in late May. In your area you can expect them to bloom around the same time as the mid to late season tall bearded.

Earlier this year Boojum did a series of threads to show some of the different beardless irises. If you haven't looked at those threads already, you might like to take a look.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/850508/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/862563/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/866324/
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/873438/

Here's one of her pictures that really shows off the blooms on mature clumps.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/fp.php?pid=5101243

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

thank you Polly K. I will look thru the threads and see what I might like to get. My climate is a challenge but I think they may be fine here from what I am reading. The Japanese I don't think will be very good here though.

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I doubt the Japanese will either. If you like the species JI they should do OK. Some of the ones I have came from inner Russia, where they grow wild. But not the regular JIs.

And once again, I would really suggest you get the siberians in the spring, so they can settle in long before winter.

DyanesGarden, thank you. Rebloomnut, my beardless are all less than 2 years old, so no big clumps (except for Caesar's Brother). Most of them had 1 stalk with 2 blooms on each one. I can't wait until next year! Boojum sure has some beautiful iris. Polly, I agree about getting the siberians in the spring. I planted some fall 2007, and spring 2008, and actually the ones I planted this spring grew a lot better.

Shadow

Cut Bank, MT(Zone 3a)

Is it too late to order for the spring. If not I will get an order in now. Thanks PollyK

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

No, it's certainly not too late. Some places don't ship in the spring, and the ones that do probably aren't even taking orders yet.

Take some time and look over some of the beardless irises on the beardless threads, and then order in late winter.

Shadow, I think spring planting of beardless in Z 3, and 4 is best. Fall in 7 and warmer . Zone 5 and 6 should do equally well with spring or fall planting. In the warmer zones it gets too hot too quick in the spring by the time the growers can dig the irises. The siberians and most other beardless don't like the heat when they are just getting established. Frost won't hurt them a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.