Great NY or Jewish style Deli's in the DC/MD area?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Thanks to a thread on the Recipes Forum which features NYC's Carnegie Deli, I thought that I would cast a net over here to see what local NY style deli's you have found in the Metro DC & Baltimore areas and can recommend.

In my ten + yrs living down in the DC area, I have not found anything that comes close to what I grew up with in NY. Surely, I must be looking in the wrong places? With that said, a recent search did turn up a very promising looking deli on Lombard Street in Baltimore.

I crave good pastrami on rye. Help!

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

The Parkway Deli in Silver Spring will make you a nice sandwich. I guess it's still there.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I don't know anything about delis, but I found this:

http://www.downtowndc.org/visit/go/loebs-deli

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Claypa, thanks! That's pretty close to me, too. I'll check it out. I bought some pastrami from the grocery store last night because I've been having cravings, but it was AWFUL. Didn't have any flavor. Will report back after I try Parkway.

Hart, thanks. I'm hoping to get a first-hand report. I've tried a lot of duds over the years. lol Anyone here been to Loeb's in DC?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Parkway Deli is excellent and still making super delicious food. My DH grew up not to far from it.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Loeb's.

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

You can get to Baltimore? Take the Beltway around the west side, go off on Reisterstown Road inside towards the city, look for Suburban House on the left --Best chicken salad ever according to my sources.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

LOL! I love a good chicken salad ... do they have real Jewish Rye bread, too? =)

I'll be passing round the B-Beltway next wknd, as a matter of fact. If we plan it right, maybe we'll stop for some take out sammiches for da road!

My Jewish BIL would never steer me wrong!!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Wrightie: Parkway is really close to me - just off East-West Highway. Not as good as it used to be, sad to say; but still good.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh good to know, HM. Thanks! Maybe we should meet there some time?

Off to KY today for a week. Talk to you on my return!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

KY? Why? I doubt you'll find a good deli.

This message was edited Oct 10, 2008 8:55 AM

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

ROFL -- I'm at a big dog show! So far no deli's, but we did pass signs for a place called "Biscuit World" ... I'm dying to read their menu!

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yum. Biscuits and gravy.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

LOLOL You mean KY isn't the worldwide best spot for genuine NY delis? Color me stunned.

(And you know, there is probably some little out of the way hole in the wall deli in BooHoo KY owned by a transplanted NYer with the best pastrami and bagels on the planet. LOL)

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

So true, Hart. I know a great Italian deli in a tiny village in Maine. I couldn't believe it! They usually have all the coldcuts and meats like prosciutto and cappicola and various sausages that are hard to find. I was working on the building and met the owner - he was from Philly and just missed the food so much he started his own business, and drove to Philly to get it sometimes.
There was a great Thai place nearby too. Sometimes people just land wherever they land and make the best of it.

We had super subs from a Philadelphia guys place in Pensacola, Florida. (I don't think he personally drove to Philly for any ingredients, though!) although Maine to Philly is a good hike, eh?

BTW, how did Pupster do at the show?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

I would imagine the best ones do just that - travel to the source to get the good stuff. Or at least make arrangements with someone who can ship it to them.

There was for many years the best seafood restaurant out here. Good seafood in the mountains?! The owner was a pilot and regularly flew down to the Virginia Beach and other shore areas to get his seafood fresh.

BTW, if any of you are ever in Front Royal, every single person I know up here raves and raves and raves about the pizza at Melting Pot, a little restaurant on 14th Street/Royal Avenue just south of the bridges. I think the owner is another transplant who brought his skills to the hinterlands.

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

OOOH -- I like Front Royal -- that's good to know.

Shenandoah Valley, VA

After you cross the second bridge, you're on Shenandoah Avenue. Turn left at the first light, it's actually 14th Street for a block or two but becomes Royal Avenue after the curve. Before the curve, just after you turn left, look on the right for Melting Pot.

It has a teensy parking lot. If the lot out front is full, there's more parking in the back, which can be accessed on the right side of the building. I've even parked in the lot next door in a pinch at night. There's a little package mailing place there and they aren't open at night.

Two other really, really good restaurants in Front Royal are Jaliscos, absolutely the best Mexican restaurant in the area. If you just keep going up to the curve, it will be right in front of you right where 14th Street becomes Royal.

If you like German food, the Stadt Kaffee on Main Street is wonderful. Just follow the curve and stay on Royal Avenue until Main Street, turn left and it's on the left 2 or 3 blocks up. There's some on street parking. There's a large public parking lot at the Chamber of Commerce - just keep going to the next block, look for the gazebo on your left and turn in just past the gazebo. There's also town owned public parking behind all the buildings on the block where Stadt Kaffee is located. Turn left at the street just before the gazebo and enter the lot on the left. (You can also enter the chamber lot by turning right off of this street.)

Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

Yummmm.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.