How many seeds from this yrs hybridizing?

South Hamilton, MA

I'v been looking at the seeds resulting from this yrs effort with irises. We do the smaller type, not TBs. The 2 most successful crosses in seed count were two border bearded crosses. With 3 pods from each cross, the total was 90+ seeds each. In early Oct. they will be planted in boxes which are put in an outside trench for the cold winter. A screen is laid over the boxes to keep birds & chipmunks out. Germination depends a great deal on the parentage of the crosses. My borders have a percentage of species I. aphylla in their background, which means they germinate over several yrs. In the wild that trait would guard against loss. My favorite standard dwarfs did not have many takes, so not much progress on those lines.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

My very first attempts at pollen dabbing has resulted in 17 seeds ( and I'm very happy with that number) Galway X unknown. I love the color of Galway and the historic style noid increases rapidly. In all, I tried 10 crosses. 1 ripe pod, 2 pods were chewed by bugs, one pod fell victim to my bum, one pod to an elbow, and 5 didn't take.

Now I'm not exactly sure what the next steps should be.
Plant the seeds in pots ? clay or plastic ? I'm guessing a fast draining soil mix, we do receive a LOT of snow and while it does gets cold here, it is seldom sub-zero for long. Which means the the snow will melt underneath. How deep should the seeds be planted in the pots of soil ?

South Hamilton, MA

Ask zacattack for the site of his fine description of starting seeds (with pictures). I should write it down but have not done so as yet. Plant the seeds in pots, We use plastic with potting mix & put them in a trench outside, we also cover with screening to keep critters out. the seeds can be planted one knuckle deep at least. Look again in May. the site is excellant but he is planting in TX not here in the north, getting them below ground helps keep the roots from freezing, evergreen boughs on top if you wish.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

grannymarsh... Here's a link to my hybridizing page. I hope you find it helpful. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.

http://leticia.smugmug.com/gallery/1222403_uHtX8#57316497_jMUXY

Thanks once again irisMA for your nice comments about my site.

Dan

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Thanks Dan, It is indeed a very helpful site.
I'll be walking next door to beg a bucketful of sharp sand from the mason. I have unlimited access to beach sand, but your site recommends builders sand.
M.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

For me its daylilies that im hybridizing like crazy and this year was a great year for it. I have a Gazillion seeds in the fridge. The fruit drawer if over half full with seeds/

i did save a few seeds from some cool iris and there was a ton of seed pods on those
Im not sure what kind they are but they are beautiful-next year pictures!!!
I dont do anything with the bearded iris.....to busy hybridizing the daylilies all summer.

South Hamilton, MA

Iris seeds are planted (the largest# being from 2 border crosses, both with 90+ seeds). One bee pod with 3 seeds & a single seed left from a lost pod remain but we have to get more potting soil for those.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Little green things are popping thru. Will they grow faster if I look at them every hour on the hour ?

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

Gosh, last year's big Alocasia crosses yielded hundreds of seeds, and they all sprouted. Each plant is capable of growing to 6 feet or higher with thick palm-like trunks. What to do?

LariAnn
Aroidia Research

South Hamilton, MA

Have not counted germinating plants as yet. Garden work weeding & new crosses take up my time.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.