Anyone from the Carolinas going bananas?

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Oh, you have the Red Abyssinian banana? I'll admit I've not left one of those outside yet. But I think someone above said they'd be OK out. There are definitely some nanners you have to protect - though I'm personally trying to stick to all hardy types. A few I had no idea were hardy - like Saba. Plant Files says it's a zone 10 plant. We need to adjust that big time.

Johns Island, SC

I finally got a chance to check out Raja Puri, CoreHHI. I think that may be what I've got in the garden. Thanks! I'm still looking for more pictures, but the ones I've seen look almost identical to my plant.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

You seen this for your Raja Puri?
http://www.bananas.org/wiki/Musa_Rajapuri

Edit. May take a moment to load, site's been reaaal slow lately.

This message was edited Sep 24, 2008 5:19 PM

Hartsville, SC

I have been bad about keeping names on all the different types of banana plants I have. I keep thinking I will remember, but I dont. So I may just dig up all the small ones.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Got a few of my new corms today in the mail. WOW these things are huge. Had to pull out the big pots. Forgot to snap a photo with the largest one - the Blue Java, but I remembered and got my wife to snap photos of the Saba and Orinoco. Had 6 new ones in all. Now if only Spring would hurry up and get here.

Here's one of the Saba - I look WAY too excited in this photo. LOL

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

An Orinoco

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

And one of the others.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Golly! Those are big. You do seem happy there, but - hey - it's the little things that keep us going.

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Where did you purchase them from? Hearing you all talk I am getting interested in getting some that will stay small enough to keep in pots. Any suggestions of the best place to get them?

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I got mine from a friend on Bananas.org - several folks there sell them from time to time (I was probably lucky since it's getting late into the year). There are a few nice commercial growers too. Here's some I've used and/or heard of:

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Fall/page64.html (scroll down to the Musa's)

http://www.willisorchards.com/category/Banana+Trees (no purchase from here yet)

http://rarebananas.com/ (good but a little pricey)

http://www.stokestropicals.com/ (I was very pleased with this company)

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Thank you for the links! I will look into those.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Wish you all could have been with me today. I heard a fantastic talk on growing bananas in coastal SC and GA. Just a few of the things I learned today.......

1. The height of a banana is measured to the top of the p-stem, the leaves do not count. That is why so many plants that are supposed to be 6' plants are really 10' or 12'.

2. Stono, your plant is probably a Dwarf Namwah, the speaker's description seems to fit your plant.

3. His top picks of the mainstream bananas for this area are:
Kandrian
Ice cream
Sweetheart
Dwarf Oronoco
Dwarf Namwah

They are in the order of their height, Kandrian being the tallest and Namwah the shortest. Sweetheart is his favorite.

4. A banana has to have a certain number of leaves in order to fruit. If you leave the p-stem standing and the leaves die off from cold, those leaves still count toward the total needed. However, if you cut the p stem for the winter the number of leaves needed for fruiting starts at square one again.

5. Viente Cohol is unusually hardy and has a short growing season; it will fruit here the first year. They are in short supply however and difficult to find.

6. Biggest surprise - he grows AeAe in Savannah!!!! I think he needs to bring it in for the winter but I am not sure, I'll be sure to ask him. And, in addition to the gorgeous varigated leaves, the fruit is striped too. I didn't even know that one fruited. It wants and needs shade.

7. Fertilizer - at MONTHLY intervals during growing season.
Ist feeding in spring 1 lb. of 6-0-12
2nd - 1 1/2 tp 2 lbs.
3rd - 2 1/2 ro 3 lbs. Use this amount for the remainder of the season.

8. He plants the tender varieties in 65 gallon grow bags.

That is all I can remember right now. Like Keonkale, I am so psyched on bananas today. :-)

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Whoa, he grows the Ae-Ae in Savannah?? Seriously? Whoa... now there's something to start thinking about, LOL

I love the variegated nanners.

Thumbnail by keonikale
Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Also re: his picks. I honestly think a lot of what folks grow has to do with what they want from their bananas. Fruit and flowers are a second to size and foliage for me, but others only want the fruit - some just the flowers. But his explanation about the leaves/flowers explains why so many folks are digging them up in places they really don't need too (for it to survive).

Ask him about the Saba and see what he says - I think it's a myth it won't survive here. The guy I bought mine from was growing it in 7b/8a without protection. And it was huge.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

.... If they were only cheaper!

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Amen, maybe if we all pitch in we can afford one. LOL This photo below cracks me up... that's like $1000 of bananas.

Thumbnail by keonikale

I should have mentioned, this guy is not only a hobbyist but a PhD type actively engaged in banana research. His picks are based, scientifically, on what does well in this area. Interestingly, the international banana seed bank is in one of the scandinavian countries - I believe he mentioned Denmark.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

why ARE they so rare?

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

http://sandersresearch.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=922

Info on the seed bank.

I've thought about trying an Ae-Ae but I don't remember what made me think it was a bad idea for around here. Maybe co-op time. LOL.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Revisted Ae-Ae and I might try to track one down just because. LOL. I would be very popular if I had a few to trade.

I didn't realize the bananas were striped and that might make it worth it to fool around with one of these. It goes against my thriftiness when plants are considered but once in a while I actually have to spend some money for something. Hmmmm. I don't like anything that needs a pot so I'll have to think about this. Doesn't come true from seed so that's the cheap avenue gone. Wonder if that's a one in 10 or 100 type of not coming true. Might beable to get my hands on a 100 seeds and just let the odds roll. Might get a few or maybe none that match the parent.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

If I was buying an AeAe I would make sure I was getting a TC that was from a healthy mother plant. I've seen this banana growing in full sun too, so I know it can acclimate itself. But I've heard nightmare stories from folks who bought them on eBay, probably because they got a pup and didn't know what conditions to keep it in - or because the parents plant wasn't very strong to begin with. Lot of money for that risk.

I think I'll just stick with my variegated monsteras, LOL

The fruit itself, not just the peel, is striped. Doesn't that sound cool???

Dr. Wallace said no sun for AeAe in our climate and that bananas that can take full sun in the tropics often need afternoon shade around here. I know that is true with other tropicals like hibiscus. Guess our sun really is as brutal as we think it is. LOL

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I tell you, sometimes I think it's worse here than most anywhere else. It's stronger in the tropics (you'd burn faster), but it's hotter here by far (and that burns leaves).

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I think that the beaufort county trio should all get together and go meet this guy... Or something... And of course keonikale would be most welcome to join. But that's just a thought I had...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Read up on Ae Ae and no Ebay is not an option for something like that. From what I read it doesn't come ture from seed but you can get pups that are true, would it make sense if you grew a bunch of them from seed you might get a few that come true from the mother plant??? Just a thought.

May first route to getting an Ae Ae would be to talk it up around here and see if anyone has one hidden somewhere in thier garden. Wouldn't surprise me to find one on HHI or somewhere close to here. I'm thinking the orchid lady may know something. Stono runs in that crowd he may be able to find someone, Ardesia also runs in the tour bunch. No hurry, I'll just put Ae Ae on the list.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I'll ask around at the Bananas forum too. Most of the guys there know their stuff and I'm positive at least a few have this. I'll let you know what I find out :) See this wiki entry too: http://www.bananas.org/wiki/AeAe

Right now I'm happy to be growing the type I am without the stress of a $150 banana, LOL. I think it'll be 11 different types next spring now. I'm excited.

This message was edited Sep 25, 2008 11:19 PM

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I have 4 if you include the musella. LOL

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Joined bananas.org and you are right that thing is slow. Tried to look around a bit but finally gave up.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Yeah it's been horrible the last week or so. When it does load there's lot of good info, especially in the Wiki. Similar to Plant Files but Banana-specific.

The Beaufort bunch need to go visit the tropical gardens at Armstrong Atlantic and the Bamboo Farm too. Also, the Southeastern Palm Society folks alsways sell various bananas at their meetings. Their next meeting/sale will be on Oct. 11 in Midville, GA.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

That's a no go on seeds, not possible to get a varigated one from seed.

Armstrong Atlantic ???

I would like to hit the bamboo farm.

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

I bet they only get good variegated bananas through TC. Even the pups have risks I think - loss of variegation, etc since they are technically a slight mutation from the parent plant.

Armstrong Atlantic University in Savannah. Way south on Abercorn not far from the newer mall. Doesn't look like much from the road but their gardens are supposed to be over the top.

Actually it is pretty close to the Bamboo Farm.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

is th bamboo farm only bamboo??

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

Tissue culture doesn't work either. It's a mutation in one of the corm layers.

Check out what I found. http://www.agristarts.com/avail.htm Looks like cheap bananas if you want a lot.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

The bamboo farm also has a collection of cold hardy palms but I'm not real sure what else.

I know where Armstrong is. That would be a good day trip.

No, it was named that because UGA was doing bamboo research when it was started. They still have the most fantastic bamboos there. Over the years the funding dwindled and now they do a little of everything. Some things like the bananas and newer citrus are done in partnership with the SE Palm Society.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

sweet! i want to go

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.