Nother Hunky Roo...Chat-a-Doodle-Doo #6

Clarkson, KY

This is the blue egg sex link Cream Legbar. Sorry I'm preemptive posting. Baaad

Thumbnail by grownut
Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

yea, hmm, he's nice.. ok

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Handsome man there! Woo hoo!! A chicken with 6 words to its breed!

(Zone 7b)

Sent a Dmail

This message was edited Sep 11, 2008 5:14 PM

(Zone 7b)

Hey Grownut I been studying that picture and i see he looks alot like the crelle Bantams i have these are breed by crossing a BB red {black breasted red} with a barred rock and if you crossed that with an americana. Yes and the leghorns look alot like a big bb red What do you think??

Clarkson, KY

I'll check into it. Cat and DD looking over my shoulder now.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

Nice looking rooster. I WISH I lived out in the country so I could have roo's. I love their brilliant colors and their cock-a-doodle-doo!

Clarkson, KY

I've been collecting these and then I just can't wait for a new spot to paste 'em. Pretty, huh? Far's I know not available in this country though.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

I guess you're gonna have to breed them yourself then, and make them available...

Waiting....

Clarkson, KY

Oooooh, little do you know... I was like Dumbo after he drank up all the soap last night -every crazy kind of bird crossing floating through my head at 90mph!!! Mutating willy-nilly into legbars... (hope you know your Disney!)

4 different leghorn males
4 different barred females
4 different Ameraucana males w/ much dilutions
4 different Ameraucana females w/ much dilutions

barring from the females should give the sex-link feathering
the brown eggedness needs to be diluted. so that
blue eggedness will dominate............hmmmmmm.....

I want big egg laying creamy delights of blue egg birds..,birdsszzzzz.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2008 6:06 AM

Clarkson, KY

Harmony - checked it out last night -Aren't the BBred? OEG more for brooding and pretty? Kind of afraid not to use layers. I wonder if maybe the barred rocks are responsible for the lightening of different colors as well as the sex-link feathering? I get the feeling that everything should be bred back to a barred hen but can hardly keep this straight. Maybe I should just go for color...

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Hey all, I started a new thread on my little airplane chick and some other pix...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902163/

Grownut - your musings are inspirational! Before you know it we'll all be master breeders! LOL!

(Zone 7b)

Mornin Grow love your threads I breed Crelle I'm posting a pic hes molting and they have the same exact bar feathering as that roo and to get a standard that way you would breed a Leg horn thats like a BB red Bantam They are Black Breasted Red i don't know standards but i'm sure threres one like that in the leg horns i Know theres one in the fighting game and breed that to a Barred rock.
This would give the barred pattern.
Then breed that barred offspring to an americana for the blue eggs.
This could be a long process i know breeders that work for years just to get a breed.
Then when he brings it out and reveals it people want it and before you know it everybodys breedin them.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2008 8:40 AM

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

Gosh what is the deal here, I didnt let the chickens out yesterday to see if my other 4 girls were laying and nope just one egg. What is up with these girls. They are all the same age. I have had them 3 weeks yesterday, the 1 that is laying started about a week after she got here.

(Zone 7b)

Sorry forgot the pic

Thumbnail by Harmonyplace
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

harmony, please go to the thread i started and help me

Clarkson, KY

Tia, mine are down to about 1 egg for every 4 birds, daily. I think it's season and weather in combination. Really frustrating since we have tons of people wanting eggs and would love cash coming in for feed bills.

Harmony - I'm off to check into Leghorn genetics now. JKJ is in panic mode (picture first time FATHER in the maternity ward -lol) and needs more encouragement.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2008 7:56 AM

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Has anyone who ordered through Ideal ever purchased their Grogel Plus-B?

(Zone 7b)

Chickens Take what i call egg breaks which means they will stop after laying a certain amount of eggs.
My Bantams will lay from 10 to 15 eggs and then either go broody or just take a break.
This is normal and all it means is they have reached the end of thier laying cycle and have laid enough eggs to set and brood. It's frustrating i know ive got some fawn duckwings that haven't laid in month and a half. All you can do is wait for thier egg cycle to turn back on and by the way this varies from hen to hen and breed to breed. I think some breeds don't know which ones are breed to not go broody and to continusly lay anybody know any?

Clarkson, KY

I was under the impression most layers were just that....my impressions aren't always reliable though...

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

well since this was a chatty thread, and I just wanted to have a few layers and some perty birds and not a clue as to what + what =s what.. heres my chat for the morning..

Had our call this am from the post office.. out 100 cornish are here!!!
Noisey.. bunch.. but in the midst of all that noise dh says SHHHHShs.. I hear a cricket.. LOL
so he searches the floor and finds one with all legs... what a find... seems the cat usually only leaves the legs behind.. I figure someday I will pull the couch out and find the cat back there rubbing two legs together making all the noise herself!!

It looks as though we may lose one.. but trying to pull him through with a little sugar water.. to be honest.. he just doesn't look "done" yet.

Thumbnail by frans530
Clarkson, KY

Spread 'em out good Fran. Mine always wanted to pile up and the bottom guy always lost... Sweet chirpy music in your future...or present.

(Zone 7b)

Are you going to process them or are they for laying. I have sooo been wanting to get some meat birds but have no clue what to do?

Sue, RI(Zone 6a)

Looks like you're going to be busy!! Hope the half-baked one pulls through for you. I know there's a hundred but it's hard to lose any of them.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

Harmony - love that Crele Roo

Fran - what a boxful of cuteness!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

50 are for me.. dinner.. and 50 for a friend.. make that 47 for me, I am trading 3 for 3 turkeys.. well make that.. turkey gals who met a chicken rooster then laid an egg... so what am I getting???

And yes, we will be raising and processing ourselves.

(Zone 7b)

Depends on the breed maybe i had and australorp that would go broody after laying 10 eggs but had a barred thay laid everyday for 6 months.

(Zone 7b)

My Guess fran something very strange. I wrot e this the other day on another thread and got no response but i know somebody who is breeding pheasants to game hens and they look like a pheasant bur are calm like a chicken and just stay in your yard. ITS cool and i want one!!

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

well she was calling then turkens, but I thought turkens were a breed of themselves.. but now I might have to do a little homework

turkens are nekkid necks,

(Zone 7b)

Fran how long from chick til processing and do you process them or have it done for you??

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

8 weeks or so

(Zone 7b)

This message was edited Sep 12, 2008 8:55 PM

Clarksburg, MO

Is anybody water logged???? We have had rain since Wednesday. And got about 3 inches yesterday alone!!

Sheila

rainey all day yesterday and now the sun is shinning out, going to be a lovely day.

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We too got 3 inches yesterday and were very waterlogged. Today it is drizzling but it supposed to be clear and windy later so I hope it will dry things out (including my chickens).

Rankin, IL(Zone 5a)

It's NEVER going to stop.. but thats ok.. look at the alternative..

Rain just makes me down a little.. so I distract myself..

but no rain.... it all..._____

well... hurts my feelings real bad!!!

Oxford, NS(Zone 5b)

We gotta have a little rain to keep the garden growing, and Iowa certainly got its fair share this spring. Texas is getting its share now, I think. I try to remember the positive side of rain - it makes me do more housework instead of being outside! LOL!

Sugar Valley, GA(Zone 7b)

We had rain here Thursday and all night, so it made tilling up my rose garden beds a real easy job...We have wind advisory for today, but the sun is shining...I'm going to till up my veggie garden patch today, and the beds in the secret garden...then get them all raked up...I have some mulch, but need more, so I will get that next weekend...
I have a disabled Vet coming to live with us sometime after Oct 3rd, so I have a few things inside to get done before he gets here, so I really needed to get this done this weekend...

The Farmer is finally getting his things out of the Brooder house, so I will be able to get that revamped for my chickens come spring...I had another DG Chicken Head dmail me about my Sumatrans with some valued info I needed to know, so I am going to wait till winter is over before I start my flock...I guess I am going to have to get my guns out and dust them off and load them...Apparently we have a serious coyote problem just north of us...They have been taking chickens, and now some sheep have been hit too...Farmer has moved all of the goats on this farm up to the pens nearer the barn...He has 60 acres not far from here with another 200 goats on it, and an Anatolian shepherd to guard them, but no dog here...I am tempted to go ahead and get my Pyrenees and offer it to guard these on my property...but he has them divided into so many pens, plus the barn, the dog would go crazy trying to be everywhere at once...

Here is the start of my rose beds...there will also be some ground plants in there as well...

Thumbnail by DustyDS
Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

morning dusty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.