What role do your JMs play in your landscape?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I had the Beni about 5 years I think. It's been moved a couple of times though so it was fairly easy to move this time - also it was planted in really good dirt so it isn't the awful clay that we are used to here. My neighbor was very pleased and I know that the Aratama will be beautiful when it gets established.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

doss what did they make you for dinner for the tree? I hope the wine was excellent!

Would be tough for me to give away a tree - evidently it must have been too much to trim.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

IT was in a place where the 8-9 foot tree I bought would fit perfectly except I notied that it was growing pretty fast and found out from another place that it was going to be more like 18 feet. I didn't have any more room for speciman sized trees. I just hope that the ARatama will be true to it's name. Beni Fushigi is a bush shaped tree and I couldn't see anyway to keep it in that small a size without it ending up a ball. That's a fate worse than being transferred to someone else's yard!

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

to bad - where did you get the aratama?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I got the ARatama at Greer Gardens.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i assume you have purchased from greer's before. what is your opinion of them?

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've had good luck with them. David has someone there that he uses almost exclusively. I think can't remember her name though. Her name is Diane.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2009 5:05 PM

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

yeah - he told me about her - i also know someone there through dg who is helping with my order. just checking though can't have too much information.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just curious. What have you ordered from Greer?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

last year i ordered three dogwoods late in the year. one had very good shape and the other two were ok. they were 3-4', the larger one was 5-6'. ordered on my own after dmailing my contact out there who i did not know worked there - only asked for tree recommendations. when i told her she let me know in the future to speak to her.
this year i have four or five jm's on order - i've received pics of 3 that are in stock.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Well, enjoy! I hope that they come in good shape and I know that they will bring some wonderful things into your garden.

Poulsbo, WA(Zone 8b)

I have many JM's and every one of them is beautiful, but my favorite is the "Butterfly". They are said to do better with part shade, but mine is in full sun. We moved it from another house and even the summer after being transplanted it was beautiful. Has anyone else experienced this tree?

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

i got one last september this will be the first spring with it - looking forward to it.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I've transplanted quite a few trees and it's worked very well every time. My Butterfly doesn't get any direct light so it's not pink but stays white all summer. I have white dichondra, azaleas, ferns and hellebores growing underneath it.

Pepperell, MA(Zone 6a)

that sounds nice - mine is in a large container and will probably find a home in the ground this year.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.