CLOSED: Welcome to the Swaps!! A running list of upcoming swaps:) #3

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I couldn't sleep either, Debra. Got the tv on the weather channel.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Hi Deborah, sorry if I woke you.

Think I might turn on some news, too. Guess I'm not looking in the right place on line - not much news about Galveston or Houston.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I heard you pacing. I have a around the clock weather station on cable. Runs the same information for the past few hours. Maybe all the weather folks are sleeping. I did see the all the talk about the wide water surge that is so damaging irregardless of the catagory rating of the huricane itself. It looks like that surge is taking the complete coast line of Texas's Gulf coast.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Found a little news on line that indicated there were fires in Houston. Brennens Restaurant burned to the ground. That's scary - all those lines down, etc. Be back ..... going to turn on the tv for some cable news.

Anxious to hear from Joey, BJ, Phyllis - who else is in the area?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

That's all I can think of that post with us.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I'm gonna stick with one thread, ok? lol - it's me remember .... easily confused.

To answer your question on SI thread, my understanding is that it's moving inland over Houston about now.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Have you heard if those glass highrises in downtown Houston have been damaged?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I heard the report asking people not to be on floors above the 3rd floor. They wouldn't have to tell me.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I just heard a glimpse of a report on CNN that they were expecting a lot of breakage. I'm going to go get a cup of coffee and watch CNN for a few minutes (wish it was here by the puter). Will be back. Take a look at the Texas gardening forum. May get some updates there, too, but many are without power.

Be back soon.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

I read on Tx forum - someone who works in ICU of a hospital in the area reported all patients were being moved into hallways away from glass. Very hard to do with ICU patients on ventilators, etc.

Ok, gone for a minute.

(Tia) Norman, OK(Zone 7a)

mornin, I am also watching the weather I do now that Joey was going to waco to a friends. Hope they are all ok there. Hope BJ and Phyllis are ok also.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Morning Tina. Did you see the expected path, how it will make an immediate right turn up towards Mo and Tenn?

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Yeah, will be glad to hear from them once things settle. CNN reporting some damage to JP Morgan bldg in downtown Houston - it's one of the tallest bldgs in Texas I think. Sounds like some glass breakage on lower floors but nothing major. Power is going to be the big problem. Imagine over 4million people without power. Hope they don't have a crime spree - looting and all. Seems when power is out people get crazy.

Edited to say Texas, not tallest bldg in the country.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2008 6:10 AM

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Deborah, try this link.

http://www.stormpulse.com/fullscreen/current

yea I seen and it looks like it will just barley miss me. We will probably get some rain but nothing real bad.

I know how it is without power, last December most of Norman was with out power for about a week. We were very very lucky that we didnt have any looting. It was bad, I never want to go thru that again.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Tia, do you go to Sooners games? I've only been once but it was a hoot! With the guns firing and wagon racing around the stadium after a touchdown.

I have been to 1 game years ago. I like it better in front of the tv. Cant see a thing in the nose bleed section at the stadium. My oldest daughter is a student/faculty at OU and she has seasons tickets. She just loves to go.

We have big party get togethers with a couple of the games, Texas OU game and the OU OSU game. Alot of $$$$ sure change hands on them 2 games :)

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL! I agree about watching on tv. It helps to have the commentary and instant replays, etc. The big rivalry in this family is Arkansas/LSU. Everyone in DH's family graduated from LSU except him. He and his DB always bet a bottle of liquor and the loser presents it to the winner when they are here for Christmas.

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

Where did Deborah go?

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

I'm here

Ferndale, AR(Zone 7b)

LOL Ok, thought we'd lost you! Geesh, been up since before 5am and still haven't had breakfast. Had a cup of coffee earlier but have since cleaned all 7 hummingbird feeders, made a batch of hummer food, mopped the kitchen floor after dripping sugar water, made a shopping list for DH before he left for Wal-Mart, fed the dogs, did a load of laundry ....... no wonder I'm hungry!

Good morning, sistahs!

(bestest fairy)Tempe, MI(Zone 5b)

Geez Debra-don't I feel like the lazy slob now!!LOL

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Listen to this, Fairypoo. I've washed two loads of clothes, jawed with Debra on the computer in the wee hours of the morning, Watered one of my gardens, and planted two hostas. Been up since 4am but I did sneak back in bed for a nap.

I've made coffee-that is abou it!!LOL It is raining today wnad we are supposed to get the same tomorrow and Monday-I am kinda peed at myself-Thursday I did NOTHING and it was the only nice day apparantly of my mini vaca and I had all kinda of stuff to get done outside:(

well you can get alot of crafts done then. i know its not like being outside but maybe next weekend.

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Staceypoo, you are on vacation and should do only want makes you feel happy. Anyone who gets up like you do every day at 4am to go to work needs a mini vacation to sleep late and nothing but play, craft and shop!

I am thinking about a different kind of swap. Has anyone ever played dirty santa?

(Cindy) Auburn, CA(Zone 10a)

What? Dirty Santa? No, o.k. on with it, let's hear this one.

ok dirty santa we do at christmas since all of us are adults not and it is to expensive to buy for everyone.

Each person that wants to participate brings a gift, we have a price limit at 25 bucks. That is not the max that is the least you can spend.

Once all the packages are here, we all draw a number and then we start with number 1 and that person goes to the stack of gifts that are wrapped and picks one and opens it up. Then person with number 2 has the option to either take the package number 1 picked or takes a package from the stack...... it goes on until every one has picked and the gifts are drawn, then the person that had number 1 gets to keep the gift they have or take another one. The gift can only be "stolen" a total of 3 times. Once it has been it is frozen and can not be "stolen" again.

How I was thinking of doing one is ..........we all get something (after we get the names and close it) and then the host will assign numbers to each participant then we all will post a picture or description (I think there are some that do not have a camera) the pictures or description will be in a non talking thread. No chit chat in there. Then we would go with number 1 and she or he gets to pick a "gift" and so on........

This could be tweaked a little but. What do ya think?

I have done that before....I got what I wanted, but some got "stuck" with things that weren't for them at all.....I don't know...hmmm

Sounds like fun. I'm in lol.

My cousin does an ornament party every year they are sooo much fun.

I Don't care-it will have to be tweaked a bit-maybe limit to one kind of item and quite obviously a lower limit....

I agree with the price how about saying between $10 & $20.

well yes a lower limit. Or we dont post a picture but just a description. Would still be a mystery.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

(shhh.. I haven't unplugged the computers yet... don't tell Don... I keep looking to see Betty post picks on the glass jar thread)

Tia Tina, we play that too at Christmas, just among the adults in the family.. but we call it Chinese Christmas... I have no idea why we call it that, but that's what I first heard it called.

I think that would work... we post our own gift, right?... then after all the numbers have a turn, then we know who to mail it to, right?... I think that would work... I like it...

No, I think we need to post pictures.

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

I do too... and you can make that a requirement for the swap... YOU MUST POST PICS

Just one question though? Home made or store bought?

Kemp, TX(Zone 8a)

I'd go for either.

ok pictures will work then, yes once the dirty santa is all over we mail. Yes we post what we have made, purchased, found, what have you. And we can limit to stealing to 2 times. But 3 makes it real fun. LOL when we did it this year with my brother his 1st time in it, he thought "dirty" so he bought a game called dirty minds. the clues are real dirty but the answer is very very clean, it is so much fun. I would have to go thru some of the cards to see if I could get by with post one here. We laughed till we peed ourselves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.