Since I know more or less....

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

nothing about bulbs I figured I'd ask the experts ^_^

I placed an order for bulbs from Brent & Becky's - Hyacinth, Narcissus and Tulips & I have some Anemones already on order - I am contemplating planting them all in a large container on my front steps - do I need chill any of them? Is planting them in a container a good idea - or should I scratch that & plant in the ground? Pre-chilled or not?

Shenandoah Valley, VA

You only need to chill bulbs if you're not going to plant them in the fall or if you want to force them to bloom early inside. Being outside all winter gives them the 10 weeks of chill they need.

Most bulbs are pretty tough and should be okay unless there's a really extreme cold snap. You can always pile leaves or mulch around the pots if you're worried. Often just leaving pots up against the house in a protected area will give them enough protection too. It's warmer next to the house, especially right next to the concrete foundation and on a southern exposure. If you do that, you have to make sure the roof overhang doesn't keep them from getting any precip. and drying them out too much.

I should add any pots will dry out faster than soil but I'm sure you already know that.

This message was edited Sep 8, 2008 5:56 PM

Sequim, WA(Zone 8a)

Thanks - yes, I knew that part at least - so keep watering them sparingly through the winter then if I plant in container? I know one thing, and that is I need to keep the possible container in front of my house - otherwise the "Walnut"-family will have a field day with the tulip bulbs ^_^

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.