Over wintering flower bed

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I live in a relatively mild zone but how do you cold-zoners prepare your flower beds for winter? My son is a baby-gardener in a cold zone and needs advice. He has already had a freeze or 2 @ night. Thanks.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Mulch mulch mulch. Especially in areas where snow cover may be absent so the ground is subjected to warming in the sun and refreezing, which is hard on the plants. The snow insulates the ground which prevents that problem. Mulch helps in the absence of snow.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Ditto and remind your son to keep watering until the ground freezes solid. Alot of new gardeners lose plants in our winters because they stop watering too soon and if there's no snow the plants die from lack of moisture.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

Good point, Dahlia, even with mulch I sometimes water my beds that have bulbs and perennials if I think they are too dry in the winter.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good point, mulch. Here in New Mexico we sometimes get warm, dry weather for a week or so, then go back to winter. During those times it is important to make sure everything remains moist. Much of our winterkill is due to those early spring dry periods then cold weather after the snow has melted and evaporated.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

And what is your fav. mulch? Straw?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Manure -- or for less fragile stuff or acid loving stuff -- pine needles.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

He has a pile of compost left over that would cover his flower bed 3 " at least. Will that work? Or is it too heavy? Can he put that on and then top w/ pine needles?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I use manure, compost and leaves. Anatatia you need to be careful not to cover some plants with compost or manure or they will succumb to crown rot. There needs to be some air cirulation.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

got it! thanks.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

And you can kill rhubarb by mulching it at all, rhubarb hates mulch. Don't ask me how I found that out...

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Irises don't like to be mulched either, but most plants love it -- any time of the year.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

He has russian sage, coneflowers,yarrows, mums and orn.grasses.

Missoula, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the tip about rhubarb, Mulch. You probably just saved mine.

Ennis, MT(Zone 4a)

I guess my first one did not die in vain then...

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Those are all hardy. No mulch needed on any of those but maybe the ornamental grass. I have all of them and don't mulch them. Do you know what grass he has?

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

They were purchased from High Country Gardens. I can get the names.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.