Obedient Plant

Whiteside County, IL(Zone 5a)

Okay, everyone says this is invasive in wet areas. How does this spread. Via tons of seeds, or rhizomes like mint? I planted one in a pot this spring and just clipped some seed in case. But having never grown it, I just dont' know what to expect.

Everyone from the the US who told you it is invasive is using the word invasive improperly. There is no valid research out there indicating this plant is invasive. Aggressive in some garden settings, yes but definitely not a threat to public health or biodiversity. The scientific name of the plant is Physostegia virginiana. It's native to North America and is locally native to your state. It is threatened and endangered in some areas. Could be in part a result of misinformation (gardeners ripping them out of the ground when told they're invasive by other gardeners or by reading misinformation on the web) in addition to habitat destruction and being crowded out by actual invasives. Unfortunately, there are many gardeners who use the words nuisance and invasive interchangeably. I plant it here by me. I use it as one of the species to replace Lythrum salicaria (Purple Loosestrife) and cross my fingers and hope for the best. So far it sort of is holding its own in two areas once I removed competition. In another area it fizzled out after 3 years.

Physostegia virginiana reproduces both sexually and asexually. Go ahead and plant it in the ground. It's a great late flowering nectar plant for butterflies. You should be fine and if over the years you find it is spreading to areas where you don't want it, deadheading it should work well enough.

Thanks! You're right. Aggressive would have been a more appropriate word. So it spreads by seeds, as I thought. I have one plant this year from the IA roundup and I just loved it. So of course I wanted more (and the white version too!). If it spreads by seed then I know just what to do. I already lopped some seeds for winter sowing and this plant will be moved to a new butterfly garden.

Thanks for your help.

Who brought the Physotegia to the RoundUp? I took the "scenic" route with kooger, don't think I've laughed so hard in so long driving over with her and it was Bernie who got us back on track via cellphone. We made many wrong turns. So many it was embarrasing but every time we figured out we had screwed up again we said oopsie and stopped at a gas station to get pointed in the right direction. Who needs maps anyway! Missed the actual plant swap because of our many detours but there were plenty left over if either one of us had wanted plants and people were offering to share with us since we had taken the "scenic" route to the RU. I think I need another plant like I need a hole in the head but I would have broken down and snatched a Physotegia. Lucky you.

Say, it spreads by seeds (sexual) and underground runners (asexual) but more so by seed.

Now help me please if you can- Do you by any chance remember who made that blueberry crunch? I forgot his name. I was eating it out of the pan and almost licking it to get every last bit before he put it in his car. I want the recipe to that. Those meatballs were really great too, both trays of them which were made by different people were awesome- naturally I sampled both and had seconds of both. Who needs plants when there's food like that there. I want that crunch recipe really bad if I can track down the cook.

Downers Grove, IL(Zone 5a)

I have seeds from the white version. Original plants are from Natural Gardens in St. Charles. Put them in this summer. Happy to share if you're interested (have the pink too) just dmail me.

You know, I don't know WHO brought that plant but it was one of the last ones to go. Everyone must have been afraid of it. I was glad to have it, as I was to grab Larry's rudbeckia! I am collecting the pink seed if you want some.

Hmm, I dont' remember a blueberry crunch, but a blackberry one. I thought that was Russ (randbponder), but i see on the food thread http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/834706/ that "cuckoo4rblackbe" brought that. I offered to do a cookbook, but I was told that there is a recipe section on DG that people would post to.

Chat,

Oh I would love the white ones! I've been to that place in St. Charles (I used to live there). I'm getting some white/light pink ones too from someone. I'll have such lovely plants! What might you need in the way of seeds.

You're right, it was a blackberry crunch not a blueberry crunch. That wasn't Russ or his wife who brought that though but now I can go and contact the man who did bring it. I'm sure he'll remember me with my hand in his oblong baking dish scraping out every last bit with my finger before he stashed it in the car.

Thanks for posting the link to the food thread. I'll go check to see if cuckoo4rblackbe posted his recipe. Thank you thank you thank you!

LOL. It was pretty good. I took some to have later that night. I guess I thought it was Russ because didn't he bring blackberry plants? I can't remember. We were late to the gathering too. Just got there as most people were eating. I guess Noon meant EAT at noon, not arrive at noon! Next time I'll know better.

You stashed some blackberry crunch for later??? Why I never!!! ;)
Well, actually I did and after Wanda took me out to dinner that night I secretly unfolded the napkin in my purse and ever so secretly ate more blackberry crunch. Didn't want to share- tee he.

I've had peach crunch and apple crunch but not a blackberry before. I think I liked the blackberry the best. You and me obviously have similar tastes. I'm surprised we didn't bump heads that day over the same oblong baking dish but then again he did bring two.

editing to add- lookie what I found-
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/488146/

This message was edited Sep 9, 2008 3:49 PM

ah well there your have it!!! What time shall I be over to try some?

I love blackberry pie, so I knew I'd like this. That's funny — Wanda and you snacking.

I wonder how it would be with Red raspberries? The fall ones are ripe now.

Oh no no no... Wanda wasn't snacking with me... I secretly snacked alone out of the napkin with the goodies stashed in my purse. It sort of went something like this, "cough into the napkin and take a bite then cough into the napkin and take another bite". I was a sneak snacker... didn't want to get caught. She offered to buy me dessert but I had brought my own so to speak and it wouldn't have been polite in a restaurant to pull out something you brought in when they're selling it.

If you bring the blackberries, I'll make you a whole baking dish to take home! If it makes it to your house and doesn't get eaten in its entirety on the drive home.

hahahah. That's hilarious. I imagined you two sneaking under the table, but this is WAY more funny.

boy that Blackberry Pie Bars recipe sounds good too. I have a good rhubarb crisp recipe that I love. I should experiment with different fruit.

We (my Mom and I) got some of Russ's thornless blackberry plants while there. I don't have my new berry bed made yet, so I sent them with her. But looking forward to putting them in and getting some berries!

Wanda was an incredible amount of fun. She kept me well fed when I stayed with her so there was no need what so ever to be sneaking snacks other than that I really liked the blackberry crunch and got a taste for it after dinner. I do have a funny story to tell you because I'm not at all bashful about eating. I'm a much nicer person when I'm well fed so I keep an assortment of snacks in my purse and in my pockets and stashes in my luggage all the time. I'm an early riser but as you guessed it, I don't function too well until I get something in my stomach. Some people need coffee to wake up but I need an immediate food source. Anyway, I was in the bathroom trying to finish chewing and swallowing one of those cranberry granola bars so I could brush my teeth and I feel something down by my feet. I'm not used to little things running around so at first glance I thought oh my God there's a rat in the bathroom. It was early, what can I say. Wanda's house is so clean it looks as if Martha Stewart lives there so there's no way a rat would be running around a house where one could conceivably eat off the bathroom floor it's so clean. Took me a while to focus on the floor but it was her ferret that was all whipped up thrashing to and fro at my feet looking for lovin and a few free handouts. It still shocked me that early in the morning because I am definitely not used to little things like that underfoot and the food dropped out of my mouth onto the floor. Now mind you, the ferret is not my pet and I didn't want it trying to eat any people food in case it was on a special diet or something so there I am on the floor trying to scoop up the food that fell out of my mouth competing with her ferret that was still thrashing around on the floor merrily trying to grab bits like it was a game. Now if my dogs get something in their mouths that they shouldn't have I just pry their jaws open and dig it out with my hand but... my dogs are in the 200 lb range and her ferret couldn't have been more than a couple pounds at the most. So I snatch the ferret and try to gently open its mouth to make sure it doesn't have any people food without breaking its jaw. Nope nothing in there which is good. I tell you that has got to be the most tolerant ferret in the world to allow some half awake person it doesn't even know to pry its mouth open.

Rhubarb and strawberry crisp is wonderful.

Ok, so we've got no blackberries for a few years but I've got a boatload of peaches here. Lemme know if you're up for peach crunch or crisp or what ever you call it. That I can make!

hmmmm peachy. I dig that too!

That is hilarious! I didn't see a ferret at her house. I can't imagine a German Short haired pointer and a ferret getting along. Must make for some fun!

I DID make strawberry rhubarb crisp this year. It was yummy. When I was a kid, I went to girl scout camp and picked blackberries and then the counselors made a pie. It was so good I was hooked for life.

Peaches it is then.

The ferret was in some sort of a double decker luxury cage in the family room but they let it out to exercise and play all the time. Their dog seemed to be fine with it. Nice dog too by the way. I guess animals take on the personalities of their owners.

I was a camp fire girl or a bluebird or something like that. Oh dear, I'm dating myself but oh well. I remember making a few desserts in dutch ovens and also in foil packs tossed on coals. Loved eating anything I made myself back then even if it was charred whereas now I love eating anything else anyone else cooks.

I loved that dog. But I know that's a hunting breed. Good training, I guess.

At camp we made these things called "doughboys." You take a Bisquick dough and wrap it around a thick stick. then you roast that over the fire, pull it off and fill it with pie filling or pudding or whatever. Those were great too.

You know, I want to go to camp! Would be so fun to spend a week just doing the things we did as kids.

Ummm, you go to camp and I'll stay at a local hotel with room service. I'll visit you and we can recreate all those delectable dishes from our childhoods. I am admittedly done camping. I did the Cub Scout den leader deal for about 6 years and if I ever sleep in a tent again in a sleeping bag on hard ground with some stick under the liner poking me in the hip it will be too soon.

I do remember something with bisquick but I don't remember what the heck we did with it. Did you do the classic s'mores too? Remember when your hotdogs fell of the sticks and you dug them out and ate them anyway?

mmm smores. Yep, wash off the dogs!!!

Well I'd stay in a hotel room, but I still want to do the swimming, the canoeing, the hiking, the crafts and the smores.

Waterman, IL(Zone 5a)

Mrs._Ed: I grew up in St. Charles, maybe we know each other.

OH, I only lived in St. Charles for 4 years. 1999-2003. Sorry.

Mrs. Ed, I'm popping your seeds in the mail today. Let me know if you don't get them in a few days.

OH, thanks Chat. What do you need in the way of seeds? Anything?

Nah. But thanks. Right about now I have so many seeds sitting around drying it's not funny. DD accidently left a bag of frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer last week. The following morning I asked DH if he took them out. He said "No, I saw that bag sitting on the table but thought it was just more of your seeds."

Guess I should think about cleaning and storing a few! LOL!

LOL. funny! I have the same out on the covered patio! Okay, I'll send you postage at least.

northwest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mrs Ed- wow you are the closest DG member I've read about! I'm in Carroll County not far from chadwick and morrison.

LMk if you know of any garden groups in our area that meet after work. I may not find this post again so send a D-mail about this. thx.

I find the regular obedient plant hard to remove. Every little broken root will resprout. It has been (with effort) moved to the mail box area where the mower will keep it in check.

The variegated kind however, it very nice and mannerly. It is quite a bit more attractive too. It is the one on the left. On the right is sedum frosty morn.
Karen

Thumbnail by cheerpeople

Hi Karen.

Thanks for the tip. I'm starting some new white ones from seed and I have the pink one. It will be interesting to see how it comes up this year (if all over the place).

Geeze, you are INDEED close to me, I'm in Rock Falls. I know there is someone in Morrison and someone in P'town, but I don't know of any garden clubs. maybe we should start one!

Aurora, ON(Zone 5b)

Further to cheerpeople above:
Have also read and heard that a variegate obedient plant is less aggressive than the non-variegate form. Have read (on-line) of one claim to the opposite. It would make sense, other things being equal, that a variegate form of a plant would be less aggressive than a non-variegate form. A variegate form has reduced green (photosynthesizing) area and would likely then be less vigorous. I tend to use this as one general rule in selecting perennials for a perennial border.
Obedient plant does not appear to spread by seed in our zone and is
shallow rooted and very easy to dig out on my upgraded clay soil.

I would also think that variegated forms have smaller flowers, maybe producing less seeds too?

northwest, IL(Zone 5a)

Mrs Ed- I can't comment on seeds as I use preen. ONe added plus of the variegated form is the top half of the plant turned red in the fall. I have a pic of it somewhere. Pretty color change. The plain green form does not turn red.

Have you been out today? It's lovely! I'm trying to redo plant labels and finding more projects out there than I have energy for. Have shovel- will travel- back out I go.

Sunnyborders- I agree.

Karen, I have been out! I just cleaned off one of my perennial and iris beds (say goodbye you nasty borers!). It was nice to feel the sun on my back. I only have a tee shirt on and actually am sweating under my hat. So much spring stuff to do, but nice to get chisel away at some of the list!

Yesterday I went to Morrison-Rockwood for some bird watching. All in all a great few days here!

northwest, IL(Zone 5a)

I was out in a t-shirt too. Got too hot for the winter coat. Have been transplanting columbines, oat grass, amnsonia, sedum, dianthus, and a curly willow tree. The willow tree almost had me beat as it was bigger than I am. But... in the end ...my Fisker heavy duty shovel prevailed. He he he!

Hubby offered to move some boulders into the garden with the tractor. We got a few in but then he noticed the tractor was leaving huge tire tracks in the grass! Kinda too soft for that! Those will smooth out in a few...years...

I guess I got off topic. The obedient plant has not surfaced yet.
Karen

Boulders!!! nice! Sounds like you have a big place out there!

meh, go off topic. I'm the thread starter and if I don't care, no one else will i'm sure.

I guess I should check and see if the obedient plant seeds need cold stratified because it's getting so "late" in the season.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I had obedient plant in my garden. Over a few years it was pretty much taking over the flower bed. If you don't get every little root, it's back. I did put some down on our hill. It's growing but not very well. THe hill is totally native.. I will never put obedient plant in my garden again.

Silver Lake, OH(Zone 5b)

I have lots of purplish pink obedient plant if anyone wants some. Speaking of thugs, I have gooseneck loosestrife, too. tsk tsk tsk

I have this pink… not showing any signs yet of coming back.

Thumbnail by Mrs_Ed
Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

Seeds I can deal with by deadheading, but the obedient plant that I have spreads by runners and that makes it hard to get rid off. I wouldn't plant this plant again either.

Interesting. Looks like mine has not come back yet. Perhaps some seedlings nearby though.

Buffalo, NY(Zone 6a)

Mine is just peeking up. Looks as if it's already spread a bit (planted last year). It's in the wild garden, though, so I'm happy for it to throw out runners wherever it wants to. :)

My red monarda on the other hand went BONKERS. It's now in a a pot.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.