Cherry Trees and Cherry Bushes Advice Here Please?

Crestview, FL

My grandson was visiting from New York, he lives close to Buffalo and I live in NW Florida close to Pensacola. He was a big help in gardening as he lives on a 6 acre farm in NY, he is 11, he taught me quite a bit, since I am a beginner, I am all ears right? He asked if I could plant a cherry tree. So; will cherry trees or cherry bushes grow in NW Florida? I would like just a bush if possible? I notice that Starkes has them advertised on sale and my zone is 8B.
joy112854

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

You will need to know how many chill hours your area gets on average. If you can't find it on line, contact your local cooperative extension agent. He/She might also be able to tell you if those "cherry" bushes will grow in you area and what their chill hour requirement is. The low chill hour cherry trees, Minnie Royal and Royal Lee require 400 - 500 chill hours. You might ask about bush cherries. They were developed in the north east.

Crestview, FL

Betty Dee: Thanks for that info.
joy112854

Fort Lauderdale, FL

you might want to try a barbados cherry. we live in ft lauderdale and just bought a small one from our local fruit club. they have a few beautiful, big, healthy specimens on their property. and so far ours is really healthy and blooming!

Crestview, FL

FloridaFlowerGirl: Thank you, I have decided that I will grow a Royal Empress Tree on one side the yard and a Muskogee Crape Myrtle Tree on the other side. I opted for two blueberry bushes and am growing strawberries in earth boxes right now.

joy112854

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.