Pears seem to be ''crisp''

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We usually shake the pears out of the tree while green rather than hand pick. This year, when they hit the ground, some of them split. They have a good pear flavor, but seen to have a funny crispy texture. Anyone else notice their pears being different this year/

Colton, CA(Zone 8b)

billyporter, Are we talking about European or Asian pears? Asian pears are supposed to be crisp like an apple. They are only good when fully tree ripened. European pears should be put in the refrigerator for a week or so to sweeten up before eating. If picked before being tree ripe, as is the correct way, they will also soften considerably.

Don't know if this info. helps or not. I know it does not address the question of their being different this year.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 12:57 PM

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Well, I left out some vital information didn't I?

These are Bartletts and they weren't like this the first time we picked them. They are to be picked green and ripen off the tree. We found shaking them out was much faster than picking and they never bruise, being green.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Wish I could help you. My pear trees just started bearing this year and I am trying to figure out when to pick, when to save for ripening and when to eat. I have seckel and Orcas.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know if this helps you any, but I buy Bartletts at the store which are already somewhat yellow and then I store them in a closed paper bag, rotating them every day. Some end up being mealy, because they were picked too early, but I guess about 50-60% come out WONDERFUL.

I do the same thing with peaches and nectarines by the way. I buy Texas or California (never Chilean) peaches or nectarines as long as they are not rock hard and as long as they have at least a faint aroma at the stem end of peach, and store in a paper bag for 1-3 days, rotating the bag every day.

Glen Ellyn, IL(Zone 5b)

When my Kieffers are left on the tree past picking time, they turn crisp and crunchy. The spouse actually likes them that way.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks guys. Somewhere I bookmarked a page that pears should be put in the fridge for 2 weeks after picking to ripen. You are supposed to pick them when they get soft at the stem end or change colors. Mine have only been in the fridge for 2 days so I will have to let you know how that turns out.
The seckels can be ripened on the tree, and I find that they are yummy from the tree. Seckel is a truly wonderful pear.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Aren't Seckels also called a sugar pear because they are so sweet and tender?

Mine all ripened and we got them canned. I have 31 quarts. Those that split or actually broke in half didn't ripen.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

As far as I can tell my Seckels aren't ripe yet. Of course, I am pretty new to the pear business. Still, I think they could be sweeter before I do anything with them. I have the most I ever had, about 15. ( Each year it is more.)

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

We're new too. We've been picking a friend's pears for 3 years now. Last year he didn't have many, so we didn't take any.

We planted a Bartlett last spring, so it will be a long wait for our own fruit.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Yes, it could be as much as 7 years -- it varies with the variety. But the good news is that I just visited a very old garden in my area -- it was an orchard back in the late 60's -- and it has huge beautiful pear trees all loaded with pears. They make a beautiful and long lasting tree.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

The trees I've seen are very old, gnarled and missing a lot of branches. Long lived is right tho.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

These trees look pretty good, but I have seen some old gnarled ones missing a lot of branches. Probably a lot depends on the treatment the trees get. I think pear trees like New Mexico because of the dry weather which keeps down fire blight and other microbes that infect pears.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm not even sure what kind of trees they are. I know one person's tree is a real grainy fruit. Not very good for fresh eating.

scio, oregon, OR(Zone 8a)

I LOVE that grainy texture, those are my favorites. Good thing everybody likes something different.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Bosc pears are grainy and very popular. There are other grainy pears as well. You might consider cooking the grainy ones. Pears poached in wine or port are superb. The grainy texture helps them keep their substance in cooking.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

If I ever pick any of those grainy ones I'll try that.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.