2008 Humungous Heuchera Hoedown Trading

Okay everybody, we came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/889114/

Here are the trades I have worked out for the 2008 Humungous Heuchera Hoedown.

There are just a couple of changes from what I originally proposed, but what it really does is just take advantage of medinac and frahnzone being neighbours. I hope this works out OK for everyone. I would appreciate it if everyone could post a message here to let us all know whether or not these trades are OK, just in case we need to make changes. I will also leave it up to each of you to contact your "Send To Swap Partner" by DMail to get their mailing address.

I hope everyone can get their plants in the mail by 15 September. I am leaving that day on home leave for 3 weeks where I probably won't have access to a computer, and I would just be happy knowing that all is going well. I also hope that everyone will post on this thread when they send and when they receive their trades so we all know how it is going!

We now have the following:
bluepoppy sends her 4 plants (Mystic Angel, Purple Petticoats, Earth Angel and Key Lime Pie) to bisa80

bisa80 sends 4 plants (Melting Fire, Caramel, Raspberry Ice, Shamrock) to bluepoppy

medinac sends 5 plants (Caramel, Peach Flambee, Raspberry Ice, Sparkling Burgundy, Lime Rickey) to RatherBDigging

RatherB sends 5 plants (Can Can, Purple Petticoats + 3 others) to truongr We'll let them work out what the other 3 are, but we would all like to know!

truongr sends 5 plants (Venus, Pinot Gris, Raspberry Ice, Mocha and Citronelle) to Carolyn

Carolyn sends 5 plants (Hollywood, Heucherella Dayglow + 3 others to frahnzone

frahnzone sends 4 plants (Blackout, Silver Veil, June Bride and Heucherella Strike It Rich) to plutodrive AND gives 1 plant (Blackout) to medinac

plutodrive sends 4 plants Citronelle, Mocha Mint, Green Spice and Key Lime Pie) to medinac

I hope that this still retains the principles of equality and simplicity and also ensures that everyone gets plants they want and none they don't want.

Let's hear from everyone.

Thumbnail by Potagere
Saint Louis, MO

I am OK with the trade. I should be able to the plants on Monday 9/8.

Excellent! Thanks, truongr.

Eighty Four, PA(Zone 6a)

Great! Thank you for all you help!

It's kinda fun, bisa.

Athens, PA

I am good with this too. I'll be getting things together this weekend so I can get them into the mail on Monday.

Frahnzone - I'll be Dmailing you this weekend as well.

Potagere - thank you so much for arranging this swap.

Carolyn

You're more than welcome, Carolyn. Hope everyone ends up happy.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Sounds good to me too. Thank you very much!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

This is good by me. Thanks for all your work on this...and for dreaming it up in the first place.

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Great!!! Plutodrive, I will dmail you Saturday.

Oh, most excellent! Six of seven heard fromm and I am so glad you are all so far in agreement!
I'm off on Ms Marta's Mystery Tour to celebrate my 60th. Back with you all on Tuesday.
Jim

Athens, PA

Potagere,

Happy Birthday and thank you!

Carolyn

P.S. This one is called H. Birthday Cake! (not mine - wish it was)

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Sorry...I hadn't checked in for a few days and viola...the trades are in! Thanks Potagere!

truongr, I will be dmailing you, as well as responding to my dmail from mediac.
RatherB

Saint Louis, MO

Happy 60th Potagere! You are still so young!

Paris, IL(Zone 6a)

I've been away a few days on vacation. Thank you for spearheading the Hoedown Potagere. You've done a fine job.

Happy Birthday, Jim. Do you find yourself at 60 and still able to do most of the stuff you did at age 59? Just curious. In a few years I'll be there and hope to minimize the shock. I can still remember trying to imagine what life would be like after 30 and wondering if I'd make it that far.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Happy Birthday, Jim!!!

Thanks again!
RatherB

Pretoria, South Africa

Happy Birthday! Hope you have a very blessed year.

Elsa

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Jim -

Happy 60th Birthday! You'll have to let us know how Ms. Marta's celebration went!

Carolyn - How clever, and appropriate!

gk1153 - And I bet you're wondering the same thing about reaching 90 now...

My husband's gram is 96, bless her heart. I always pray for another year to have with her as she is the most wonderful woman I have ever met. This past summer she's been thrilled to tend to her tomato plant out on her balcony at her apartment where's she's happily living alone. She's always loved gardening flowers and vegetables.

Many thanks to all of you for your birthday greetings!!
I feel compelled to add that my birthday was actually 5 May. However, my father-in-law's death and other commitments prevented us from celebrating it at that time. Friends came over from Scotland, and my mother-in-law has been here visiting this summer, so there were 5 of us who drove to Burgundy to spend a long weekend at the Villa Louise : http://www.inn-france-chateaux.com/BourgogneFrancheComte/Aloxecorton/HotelVillaLouise.html. This proved to be an ideal small inn in the "center" of Aloxe-Corton (if this tiny village can claim a center!). Excellent accommodation and a lovely garden adjacent to their own Grand Cru vineyard!
We had 2 excellent evening meals: 1 in Beaune and 1 in the nearby wine village of Ladoix-Serrigny. The latter was a bit of a "shock" because immediately upon entering this traditional old building, you are confronted with New York City chic! And the menu was a "nouvelle" take on traditional Burgundian cuisine which was very enjoyable in a convivial atmosphere.

Just next door to Villa Louise is the Chateau Aloxe-Corton Andre, where we had a very food wine tasting and purchased several bottles of their 2 Grand Crus. Wine tasting was also done in Beaune and Savigny-les-Beaune, so a most pleasant time was had overall. Conan the Corgi enjoyed the trip, all his walks and runs, but especially the restaurants!

I must admit that this year, at 60, I have found it more difficult to go up and down our slope (especially with the mower) than I did last year at 59 and that the joints take a bit more "flexing" after awkward periods of settling for weeding than before. Ahh, youth is wasted on the young!

Cheers,
Jim

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I received my shipment from frahnzone5. Wow that was quick! They were in perfect condition too. Thank you!

Great news, plutodrive!
Any photos?

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Potagere - Your birthday celebration sounds wonderful and I'm glad you had a good time! How nice that Conan could accompany you, that makes traveling so much easier. Are pets welcome anywhere and everywhere?

medinac: yes, Europe is very pet-friendly. There are few places that do not accept dogs. They cannot enter bakeries, butcher shops or groceries, but a cafe, bar or restaurant that refuses to admit dogs is comparatively rare and most hotels and B&Bs also accept pets. In some cases, like Villa Louise, there is a "supplement", but it's usually not very much!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Potagere -

Ha! I could just see my Gracie in a butcher shop on the loose! Picturing that scene now! Understandably, they'd have to have rules about bakeries, butcher shops, etc.

My old dog could always find a bar! Guess she knew her master too well!

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Received my plants from Carolyn22. Everything arrived in good shape and the plants are lovely. Thank you, Carlolynn.

And thank you, Jim, for managing the exchange and a happy belated birthday.

Felisa

I'm really happy to hear that you already have your plants and that they arrived OK.
Can you show us what you got?

Bensenville, IL(Zone 5a)

Yep, I will take pictures this weekend and post.

Felisa

Great!
Photos help us all see what we have traded.

Athens, PA

Mine came today too! I cannot get over the size of these 'cuttings'! I have had much smaller plants come from top of the line nurseries thatI have ordered from in the past.

These are huge!

Thank you so much! This has been great. Can't wait until the trade next year........

Thumbnail by Carolyn22

WOW!!!
Those are great!
Way to go truongr!

OK, all. I hope everything continues to go well.
I am off in the morning to the US of A for 3 weeks home leave and probably won't be near a computer, so I'll catch up with all of you in October!

Potagere/Jim

Pretoria, South Africa

Jim,
You must enjoy your trip!

Elsa

Thanks, Elsa!

(GayLynn) Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Jim,
Hope you have a fabulous time and a safe trip. Take lots of photos to share with us when you return!

GayLynn

Will do!

Eighty Four, PA(Zone 6a)

They are HERE!!!

I received my shipment today! Very Exciting! I can't wait to go home and plant! I will take picture and post!

Thank you all for the wonderful trading!

Saint Louis, MO

Yes I got mine from RatherBdigging too! The plants were huge and very nursery worthy. She even included some extras for fear that hers were too small. Picture to follow this weekend.
I am humbled to be among such great gardeners as the likes of you all.
I actually had a doubly special day because I also received another plant shipment from Glasshouseworks that I 've been waiting for a whole month. Woohoo!... On to potting and planting...

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm sorry it took me so long to post the pics here Potagere but here they are. Thanks so much to you and frahnzone5...
This is 'June Bride'

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

'Strike It Rich'

Thumbnail by plutodrive

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.