What is this?

San Gerardo de Rivas, Costa Rica(Zone 12b)

Hi there. I haven't been around much lately, but today found this really beautiful flower by the side of the road. Actually, a lot of them. They had recently been slashed back so the house on the other side could have a better view of the river! Anyway, I found quite a large patch and I brought a few plants back home with me, that had been almost buried by dead gingers and heliconia stems. I think it is a gesneriad, possibly a Kohleria species. Sorry I'm not giving much info, but hoping someone may just recognize the plant from the flower and leaves.

Here is the flower. It is tubular, about 1" long with the petals flaring out to about 1/2".

Thumbnail by vanillaman

In this photo you can see more buds and the light green, hairy leaves a little better.

Thumbnail by vanillaman
DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it looks like a Diastema because of the hairiness and growth habit, and because they grow in Costa Rica. ... but I don't have a specific suggestion and I stand by my dmail suggestions to confer with the experts ^_^

Thanks so much for your help Keyring!

vm

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Whatever it is,its got a pretty flower,Nice score vanillaman!

Yes jannich - yesterday I had a great day "garbage picking" lol! Besides this gessie, I found a bunch of orchids on the ground and got several other little cuttings in the jungle! I'm very lucky to be living in a sort of gesneriad/orchid/bromeliad "heaven" here!

I'm thinking this particular species or whatever it ends up being, will make a good parent for anyone into breeding. If I get any seeds, I'll offer them for trade!

vm

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Please put me on your seed list. I will trade with you anytime. Whatever it is..........it is a great looking plant. I have always wanted to go to Costa Rica just for the flowers. My brother goes fishing down there all the time........next trip I am going but not going to fish!

LOL, I can imagine why you would be coming! Let me know beforehand so I can give you some suggestions of where to go and where not to. The most gesneriads and orchids etc. are found at higher elevations, so you can leave your bro down at the pier. The coasts are extremely hot as well, so I would plan to travel higher up where it's much more comfortable in that respect! I will put your name on my list for seeds for this gessie!

(Zone 1)

Very pretty! It does resemble Diastema: http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&q=diastema+vexans&btnG=Search+Images

Thank-you plantladylin for your input. I'm finding it very difficult to find many photos of both Kohleria and Diastema species. With "diastema", I'm getting lots of pics of teeth with spaces between them and frogs, lol!

vm

(Zone 1)

Yeah, I googled: "Images of Diastemma" and got some weird photo's with the teeth and frogs too! But went through a few pages and found those in the link above.

Images of Kohleria: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=images+of+kohleria&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

Mid, ID(Zone 3b)

So amazing to think of finding gessies growing alongside the road, especially one as pretty as that!!

I got a laugh out of your googling results, teeth and frogs! LOL

~Brenda

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

LOL I would love that kind of garbage picking too! Sound wonderful to find all those things just growing in your jungle!

I'm curious,did you find any rhizomes growing from your little plant?

Yes, it certainly is frustrating! The last thing I want to see are teeth and frogs. There seems to be so few good sites with photos of gessie species! One of the experts from U. of Alabama, John Clark, wrote me and suggested Diastema affine, which is one of the 2 endemic species here. Either my eyes are totally failing me or the photos I sent him didn't display on his computer, LOL!

I sure am living in a great "garbage picking" place. People here are constantly whacking everything back and then they just toss everything on the side of the road!

I did find some tiny rhyzomes growing from the bases of my plants jannich. They also root very easily when they end up lying on the ground. I just noticed several little stems that had done that and grew lots of fibrous roots, all set to cut off and plant up now!

I must admit I'm very close to giving up on this one at this point, or at least giving it a rest. One of the best sites I did find is: http://www.gesneriads.ca/

Many thanks for the help so far!

vm

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

From what I understand, Diastema is not that well documented, and few have made it into cultivation. In addition, often those species that make it to the US come from one collection so variety is lost.

Anyway, your query just got posted to Gphiles too. Maybe someone will have more info.

(Zone 1)

The more I look at that plant it does look like a Diastema. Did you see these? Scroll down the page and there are a few listed: http://www.gesneriads.ca/alphabet.htm

Whoopee, thanks Keyring! I tried to do that last night but I don't think I did it right. I joined/signed up and received my password. I couldn't quite figure out how the system works, but sent an e-mail like it appeared you have to do. Today I received 2 messages Gphiles digests. Guess I'll go back to the website and read some more about how it works.

Thanks again!

plantladylin: I spent the afternoon searching that site, lol. Of course I could have missed something. I went to their "genera" page and looked through every one of their genera, excluding the "Old World species". I wasn't able to see anything similar to mine, not with those sort of "waterfall" markings like on some Miltonia orchids. Even if I find a hybrid or cultivar which is similar, I could possibly track down the parentage and that could help. At this point I'm leaning further away from Diastema and going back to Kohleria or even another genus. It's not totally out of the question as well, that I have stumbled across something not yet documented or named, at least species-wise.

Once my new additions start to root and do well, I will probably preserve some leaves and flowers and take them to INBIO here in Costa Rica for analysis/dissection etc. I should be more excited, but I'm just a little tired at the moment. I was out walking in the rain today and haven't totally got rid of the "chill" yet. Tomorrow I will get back to working on this.

I appreciate your help. You are certainly one determined "blond", lol! (That is meant as a joke!) Also, please keep you and your family safe in the following days. The storms seem to be especially frequent this year and they just don't stop forming off the coast of Africa. I follow them closely because I'm interested in this.

vm

(Zone 1)

Vanillaman,

I will be watching in hopes that you do get a positive ID on this lovely plant!

LOL ... yeah, I am a determined old blonde! I don't know a lot about plants but I enjoy searching and reading about different ones! I have a real hard time identifying from photo's but it sure is fun seeing all the beautiful plant photo's out there!

Thanks for the well wishes regarding the storms. Tropical Storm Fay came through a couple of weeks ago but we fared very well in our neighborhood. There was some awful flooding in this part of the state, I feel so bad for some folks who still aren't back in their homes because of a few feet of water! Some are finding snakes and alligators as well as fish swimming in their yards! The news yesterday showed a gator trapper with 4 or 5 huge gators in the bed of his truck that he had killed in one area! Yikes that is really scary!

Tropical Storm/Hurricane (can't make up her mind) "Hanna" is supposed to be off the coast here by tomorrow night. I still haven't secured my plants, lawn ornaments or outdoor furniture yet! I'm hoping the recent reports are going to be right. Last reports showed Hanna will be farther east so we should not get hurricane force winds ... possibly tropical winds of near 50 mph or so but it shouldn't be too bad. Then we will be waiting and watching "Ike" and "Josephine". Hopefully they will both disintegrate and not make landfall anywhere!

LOL, I remember you well from when I was a DG "junkie"! You are really persistent and help out a lot of people, and you are NEVER rude like I've noticed a few members here can be. I would never mention names though. That is one reason I got a little "turned off" actually, but I also moved 4 months ago, so that is the main reason I haven't been around much lately.

Yikes, I can't imagine seeing alligators and snakes outside my front door! I get the odd tarantula and poisonous caterpillar now in this area, but they're ok. I got my first caterpillar sting one day and couldn't believe they packed such a punch. I barely touched it and my hand throbbed for about half an hour afterwards! Now I look out for them when I need to prune something or even just pull off a dead leaf, etc.

I sure hope you are ok with the next wave of storms.

Take care!

(Zone 1)

Vman:

EEK! Poisonous caterpillar's and Tarantula's?!%$@! Scary! We have had a couple of deadly coral snakes in our yard the past couple of years ... a lot of construction going on and all the creepy crawlies looking for new homes ... as much as I realize they have their place and purpose in the ecosystem, they aren't welcome in my space, especially the poisonous ones! In 2004 we had 3 hurricanes come through our area in a 5 week period and after one storm, my next door neighbors were un- boarding their windows and found two pygmy rattle snakes up behind the wood. Apparently the snakes crawled up under to get out of the storm. They were able to kill one but the other got away. I am so afraid of snakes! There have been a couple of instances at Wal-Mart Garden Center and Home Depot Garden Center where people have been bit by poisonous snakes while picking up potted plants! I guess the snakes came from the nursery with the plants! You better believe I am sooo careful now when I am picking through and looking at plants in any garden center now!

We are glad to see you back in this garden! I know what you mean about coming across a few rude folks at times. I have to try my best to ignore them. I stick mostly to this forum and just pop in on conversation in a couple of others once in awhile. There do seem to be little "cliques" on different forums at times and I think I remember someone once saying that about one of the forums, that they were afraid to join in the conversation because they didn't feel welcome and they didn't feel like they fit in. We try our best to welcome everyone here in Gessie land. I try to read between the lines and shrug off any negativity, realizing everyone has bad days. I do think that sometimes the written word is misinterpreted also. It's sometimes hard to have a lengthy conversation in writing!

Thanks for the well wishes regarding the storms! We will be safe. I just heard that Hurricane Ike is a catagory 4 storm already ... went from a 1 to a 4 within a couple of hours! That is one we will definitely watch closely. If a cat' 4 storm is heading towards us I will not stay. We board up the house during canes' and have never had a major storm do damage but I have a very healthy respect for major hurricanes and will not stay if a cat 3 or higher is ever expected in our area.

A few years ago we were predicted to get a direct hit from a hurricane and my husband boarded up the house but he wouldn't leave. I left town with my friend and her dog in her car and her daughter and son in law and their dog following us in their car. My friends husband was a police officer (now retired) and he's also in the Coast Guard so he was on call and couldn't leave. We got on the interstate heading north thinking we would go up into Georgia and head west. We sat on the highway in bumper to bumper traffic for hours and hours. The reports kept changing and they kept evacuating the barrier islands and coastal areas of a bunch of cities along the south east coast so all of that traffic was on the highways trying to get out of the path of the storm. We found a radio station telling folks to call in and let them know where you were and information on hotels etc. There was not one hotel room with a vacancy from here in central florida all the way to Mobile, Alabama! We were bogged down in a major traffic jam and couldn't even get out of Florida. Finally got off the interstate and took another county road west and ended up in Gainesville Florida at 2 a.m. Gainesville is about 2 hours NW of us and it took us many, many hours to get there with all the traffic! We couldn't find any vacancies so ended up sleeping in our cars in a Wal-Mart parking lot. The police were patrolling through the lot during the night so we felt safe and Wal-Mart is open 24 hours so we got to use their bathrooms and buy food and water, soda's etc! The next morning I called my husband and he gave us the all clear to head back home ... the hurricane had passed off shore so all we had was some wind and rain but nothing serious.

Well, I'm rambling here ... think I will go "lurk" on a couple of forums before shutting down the computer for the night!

Hope everyone in the path of Tropical Storm/Hurricane (can't make up her mind) "Hanna" stays safe! She is predicted to pass off our coast tomorrow night and make landfall somewhere in the Carolina's on Friday.

Well that certainly was informative plantladylin. I think we both strayed a little from the topic, although these storms do affect our precious gessie collections as well, lol!

Just wanted to update my thread. It seems I've caused a bit of a "kafuffle" and several of the "experts" outside of DG are discussing my little flower and trying to solve the mystery. The latest consensus is that Diastema is ruled out, but Achimenes is now in the realm of possibilities.

I have to thank Keyring for referring me to the "G Files" place. That is how I connected with Ron Myhr who is the owner of that "gesneriads.ca" website. He started to get some response to my Gphiles e-mail and he also contacted John Clark at U of Alabama, who I had already been in touch with. At any rate, things seem to be "snowballing" and now Washington State U. and the Smithsonian are getting envolved. I can't believe I'm taking all these people away from their jobs and important work, just to help solve the little ID question I started here with this thread! Ron Myhr seems particularly interested and is almost "on a mission" with it, lol! He suggested Achimenes candida, but I'm not sure if I agree with that one personally.

Naturally, I'm sort of hoping I've discovered a new species of whatever genus it is. I think that would give me first dibs on naming it. Maybe something like Achimenes "keyring", lol!

I will keep updating this thread, at least when I get a name. This Forum and the people here are the best!

vm

(Zone 1)

Oh, I hadn't even thought of Achimenes: http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=images+of+achimenes&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title

I've heard that some folks in the southern part of Florida grow Achimenes as landscape plants but I've never seen them except in containers, indoors under lights.

LOL, you know all of those folks who are doing the detective work, trying to figure out what exactly your plant is, are having fun doing it! I bet you will have a correct ID in no time! Yes, please keep us posted ... I'm very curious to hear what you've got there.

That makes 2 of us plantlady! I've already gone through all those pages, just last night actually. No wonder I'm tired today! This site was interesting as well:

http://www.gesneriads.ca/genach.htm

Thanks again!

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

LOL!

No doubt there will be a request for a seed donation to the Gesneriad Society once you have an ID (or collection number). ^_^

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

how exciting vanillaman,the idea of you fining a new species is awesome! Keep us posted please.

Now I think Achimenes keyring is a perfect name...I'll be on the look out for your seeds from the gessie society!

(Zone 1)

Gee ... I'm still looking at wonderful gesneriad photo's. The bloom shape resembles Sinningia: http://www.gesneriadsociety.org/conv2008/plants/bigpics/2008Class42.htm There are so many gessie's that resemble each other to some extent! I wouldn't mind having one of each!

Ottawa, IL(Zone 9a)

this all is just to cool. wonderful.hope you get to name it.
mrsbonnie

Thank-you guys/gals! Still no ID, but one person strongly disagreed with the Achimenes candida suggestion and I tend to agree with him. Most A. candidas have small white flowers with "restrained" markings. This same person threw A. pedunculata into the mix!

Good news is I found more of the same plants today when I went hiking again in the same area. I found them about 500 meters further up the river on the other side. They seem to love damp sandy soil and were even growing right on the wet rockface. All of the open flowers I saw were almost identical, without a trace of white. I plan to go back again and continue further up the river from that spot and also pay more attention to any variations. Needless to say, I now have more plants back here, lol! I also have more orchids as well. Six men had just passed by with machetes and hacked off large moss-covered branches and vegetation. Naturally there were tons of epiphytes growing on them, mostly bromeliads and orchids, but I think I found a new, interesting Columnea with large red/yellow flowers. Now I have another gessie to look up and ID, but won't trouble you guys with that one at the moment. I haven't begun to look for it yet, but if I can't find it I'll start up a new thread! Actually, I'll post a photo anyway, just for fun lol!

Thanks for suggesting gesneriadsociety.org too. I'll try them.

vm

Andalusia, AL(Zone 8b)

Good morning vanillaman,

That is awesome that you found a group of your little plants.If you could bring your camera with you the next time you go out hiking I would love to see your little plant growing in the wild.

What a great experience to go walking though the jungle and finding all those plants. I would be in heaven I think.LOL

(Zone 1)

Oh my goodness ... it must be pure heaven living in Costa Rica with all those wonderful plants! And, free for the taking if they chop stuff down like that all the time ... how awesome that would be! You can collect enough plants to have your very own botanical garden!

I'm going to look for your photo of that new columnea! Sounds like a beauty!

Oh, and Ditto to what Jan said about taking your camera! Didn't you post a photo of your jungle paradise awhile back? We'd love some new ones!

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I feel like I am almost taking this 'wanted' trip to Costa Rica to look for plants both in the wild and in nurseries................thanks for the gift............

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

Woah VM what a cool plant..hope it ends up being a new gessie you get to name..what an honor and thrill that would be!!

Gee wiz everybody - it's so uplifting to read such nice posts! Yes, it really is "heavenly" and very peaceful, walking around here in these rainforest areas. Unfortunately, most are secondary growth, but there are primary forests not too far, within walking distance as a matter of fact. My little village is a great place to visit, no advertising intended whatsover. We have one of our National Parks just a little further up the road, with the highest mountain in Central America. It is called Mount Chirripo. If you have Google Earth, you can find it on there. A lot of tourists come here from all over the world, mostly the young, very fit ones, to climb to the top. The ascent is quite challenging and takes 2 days, with a campout near the top. The park regulations are very strict, mostly for safety reasons, and they only allow I think 25 people per day to enter. Naturally they want to make sure everyone who goes in, comes back out in one piece, lol! That particular hike does not appeal to me because you have to hike almost non-stop. There's no time to wander about and look at things, which most of you know by now, that is not my "cup of tea". I can spend hours covering a mile or half a mile distance. I would like to climb to the top maybe in Summer, which starts Dec./Jan., but I will enter the park at another point and probably make it a 5 day camping trip. Our tiny village has several small, comfortable and inexpensive, hotel/restaurants and it would be worth spending a few days here just to roam around, for anyone so inclined. I must stress I am not pushing or advertising any commercial establishments. I know that is against the rules here. We have 2 apartments on this property, right next door that are under renovation. They are far from being finished, but they will be for rent when they're ready, maybe in another 6 months or so. I had been considering doing a "B&B" with them, but I'm not really into getting up at 5 every morning and making breakfast for people, lol. They will be equipped with their own kitchens anyway, so the people who rent them, will be on their own as far as food and cooking, etc. go. Personally, I would prefer it that way! Anyway, I really hope I'm not breaking the rules by even mentioning this. It's not like it's something that exists right now. Nothing is concrete and I don't have a vested or invested interest in anything I've mentioned. The owner is actually an American but is in Alaska now until Nov.

Well, that's a lot of rambling. I really just wanted to respond to the posts. I always have my camera with me and do take lots of photos, but I just never thought of taking one of these particular gessies where they are growing, although it's funny because I almost did yesterday, but then it started raining. There are never a lot of flowers open at the same time so it's not like you would see wall-to-wall flowers, just the greenery with the odd bloom here and there. From now on, I'll start taking more panoramic photos, rather than just the individual orchids I find. Orchids are my "specialty", lol!

Well, it's clouding up early again today and I do want to go for just a little walk over on the other side of the river. I live right on the Rio Chirripo and there is a little bridge just down the road I have to cross to get over to the other side.

Thanks everybody for your comments. Hopefully I can post some photos later today, after I get back home.

vm

(Zone 1)

VM: Your area of the world sounds like a vacation paradise! I've never been to Costa Rica but have heard so many wonderful stories about the area. We have friends who's son goes on surfing expeditions to Costa Rica every chance he gets .. he is an avid surfer and loves it there!

We realize you are not advertizing ... I think many folks talk about where they live! We learn a lot about each other from our conversations as well as a bit of geography and botany too!

And, hey ... one of these days, we may all decide to take a vacation at the same time, to the same destination, well ... we can just call it a DG Friends get together!

OMG, are you saying what I think you are plantladylin? I can just see 1,000 DG-ers showing up on my doorstep, lol! That would mean a lot of rice and beans to cook!

Yes, I am fortunate to be in such a beautiful, safe place with so many gorgeous plants all over the place. I walked longer than I had planned (of course), but the rain held off. It just started to drizzle a little on the way back and wasn't even enough to have to open the umbrella. Near the end of my walk, I explored a neat place close to the river and found a lot more of my "mystery gessie". These ones didn't appear to have been hacked so I'm assuming some had reached their full height, about a ft. tall. They seem quite fussy about the conditions they like, and are always in very damp, cool places, and at their best in shade.

Particularly for jannich, I took some pics of them in their natural habitat, and also a couple for plantladylin of my jungle paradise!

Here is one group of them.

Thumbnail by vanillaman

Oops, that wasn't the "grouping", just a few growing under a bromeliad. This pic shows the entire bromeliad and an anthurium. You can see the tiny flowers down below.

Thumbnail by vanillaman

This is the largest colony I found today.

Thumbnail by vanillaman

Here is the best find of the day and I think I'll take one or 2 of them home. Poor Mom had 9 babies a week ago!

Thumbnail by vanillaman
(Zone 1)

Oh my goodness ... I love the puppies! Such cute babies! We hope to someday adopt another dog, after our four old cats are gone to kitty heaven!

Wow! VMan, you live in an amazing place! Just look at the size of that Brom and the Anthurium! I see some fern I recognize too ... at least it looks like the sword/boston ferns that were taking over our yard for awhile! I think those things will survive anywhere.

Looks like a nice colony of that unknown Gesneriad there! Keep us posted on what you learn about that plant!

Love the pictures of your paradise!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.