Show Your Late Summer and Fall Treasures Here (2)

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I hope no one minds, but I thought I'd start a new thread cuz the last one is taking a long to time to open. We came from Summer Flowers here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/872450/

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Here come the mums. Note the pathetic liatris in the background. I think it took a butt kicking from the cold snap in May. The white hasn't shown up at all (sob)

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

and snaps cuz I just luv them. This is the funkiest colour I've got this year.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Clematis serritafolia. I got this seedling 3 years ago and I never thought it would flower as it only gets a couple of hours of late day sun but Look! I will post another pick when its not in sunlight so you can see it better. It's very delicate and soft looking.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I think the mini roses have better colour when it starts to get cooler.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

'Karl Forrester'.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

This is what happens when you let the bronze marigolds run amok ^_^. This year I will be a good gardener deadhead the yellows so this patch stays bronze. There's a few funky blends in there though that are keepers I think

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

o ya balloons keep landing. I luv the balloons.

Thumbnail by dahlianut
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Thanks, DN for starting a new thread. It is just necessary after a while. And thanks also for all those lovely photos. Snaps of a very cool color, mums, and a liatris that doesn't look bad to me. It just can't compete with all those brightly colored mums. I want some liatris myself. It is native to our town. I just need to plant it because it hasn't popped up on its own.
Your clematis is lovely and so are your roses, marigolds and baloon flowers. I really enjoy the onslaught of photos. It is so close to that despicable time of no flowers!

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Okay, okay...so here's another...Echinacea Green Jewel...

Thumbnail by edder
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here are my Panicum 'Cloud Nine'... looking like fireworks. Agastache 'Black Adder' in the rear to the right with Caryopteris to the left.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh- those are nice edder.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here you can see more of the purple color on the grass blooms...

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

My butterfly bush was blooming in three colors. It was supposed to be purple. I didn't like that so I cut the pink out last year. Now I like the white/purple combo going on... seems like the white will dominate in the end.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Here is a Rose of Sharon in the same bed...

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Caryopteris too...

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I have found small flowers like penstemon very difficult to photograph. This one came out though... 'Red Rocks'.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Not a bloom but cool anyways... castor bean.

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

This is the backside of my 'Moulin Rouge' sunflower. It has more yellow back there lately. Go figure!

Thumbnail by plutodrive
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh guys, you have so many beauties. I need to plant more late season flowers!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Late season is my favorite time (mostly cuz its dahlia time). I just luv grasses. I totally need more full sun space. Perhaps downsizing the house is in order? How fast does the 'Cloud Nine' spread Plutodrive? I put 'green jewel' on my seed list. Great idea to put against the blue spruce Edder. I looks so limey against the blue. Did I mention I tried rudbeckia 'green wizard? Don't go there. Boring, boring, boring. Plutodrive that butterfly bush is just plain funky weird. I didn't know they did that.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

dahlianut the grass doesn't spread as like an invasive one would. It isn't pokey though. This one is going to be huge... supposed to hit 7-8'. Those are 2 year old plants from 4" pots. They are over 4' tall now. I have 5 planted in that spot to try and hide the intersection.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

I'm so excited that my Ville de Lyons clematis is blooming again. The leaves are starting to turn brown though. Do I need to feed it - or perhaps that was a reaction to our recent series of below freezing nights? btw, my only other perenns that showed signs of wimpyness in that cold were the "hardy" plumbago and the "hardy" arctic kiwi.

Thumbnail by SnowlineRose
Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

And here are some "garden variety" pansies - one of the toughest flowers around IMHO. The flowers stay on all winter if the deer don't discover them.

Thumbnail by SnowlineRose
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Great thanks Plutodrive. I can do that one then. I'll put it in the same bed as the Karl Forester. This is a great seed source and I'm going to try their panicum. They have a seed sale every year in April and they ship to the US too http://gardensnorth.com/site/index.htm

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Snowlinerose I think its too late to feed clemmies. Mine are winding down too now. I lost my 'Swiss Giant' pansys this winter after 5 years of their cheerful faces (sob). I ordered more seed though ^_^

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

Everyone's success with seeds has got me all interested. (I haven't had much luck when I've tried seeds in the past, except cosmos). Do y'all winter sow? And if so (no pun intended), when do you sow?

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

I direct sow in fall and early spring and a bit in June. Some perennials and tomatos I sow in peat pots in the greenhouse for planting out in June. A few perennials I sow in peats and do a weird fridge/inside/outside thing because they have strange germination requirements. Seeding is fun and cheap and you really only need a sunny window for most things. Pansies are easy/peasy as long as you remember they need dark to germinate. I just cover the tray with a dark folded towel until they germinate.

Bend, OR(Zone 4b)

dn- Seeding sounds like fun - and economical. When exactly do you fall sow? Is it one of those "just before the ground is frozen solid" sort of things? Also, is your greenhouse heated?

Santa Fe, NM

Nice to see all the pretty blooms! "Arty" shot of nasties. My, my!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Nice to see all the pretty blooms! "Arty" shot of nasties. My, my!

Thumbnail by roybird
Santa Fe, NM

Darn. Sorry. It was taking so long to go through that I smacked it twice!

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Roybird I totally luv that pic. Where are they? Inside? Outside?
Snowlinerose I try to sow at the same time as the seed would normally drop from the plant in its native environment (doing the math for things in the southern hemisphere cuz they're upside down). I fire up the greenhouse in early March. I have a little electric heater that is thermostat controlled so it turns on and off like the house furnace. Once the seed germinates I turn it down to 40 degrees. Also I have polished gravel flooring which absorbs the heat from the sun so I don't use the heater much after mid-April. I also have a dahlia-op in the cold room that becomes a warm room when I wake up the dahlias and very, very special seeds are allowed to share this space with the dahlias. Note: I have no sunny windows except over the kitchen sink. I'm surrounded by giant ents.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

You can say that again ^_^

Santa Fe, NM

Outside in a pot near the unused door to my studio which is yellow.

Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Pink house and yellow studio. Very cool.

Deer Lodge, MT(Zone 4a)

Believe this is Echinacea Bright Star

Thumbnail by edder
Centennial, CO(Zone 5a)

Nice one, Edder. My echinacea are in full bloom now too. This is Magnus.

Thumbnail by lisabees
Calgary, AB(Zone 3a)

Luvly. I sure hope my echs. rally next year. They hated being transplanted for the deck project.

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Thx for the link to Gardens North dahlianut. That is a great site. April seems so far away.

Nice nasturtiums roybird. I have heard they are edible. Have you ever eaten them?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.