Hurricane Hanna

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

From http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ ...

Quoting:
...HANNA BECOMES THE FOURTH HURRICANE OF THE SEASON...

AT 130 PM AST...1730 UTC...THE GOVERNMENT OF THE BAHAMAS HAS ISSUED
A HURRICANE WARNING FOR THE CENTRAL BAHAMAS...THE SOUTHEASTERN
BAHAMAS...AND THE TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS. A HURRICANE WARNING
MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE WARNING
AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND
PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION.

HANNA IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON
SCALE. SOME ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS.

HANNA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 4 TO 8 INCHES OVER
THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN BAHAMAS...TURKS AND CAICOS ISLANDS...
WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF UP TO 12 INCHES POSSIBLE THROUGH
THURSDAY.

SWELLS FROM HANNA ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE THE RISK OF DANGEROUS RIP
CURRENTS ALONG PORTIONS OF THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES COAST
DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Well, of course... it's September!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LOL I almost said exactly that, Darius, but I was afraid no one else would think it was funny. ^_^

LOL, Fear and Crying don't help...

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Hey you two look familiar! lol!
Wonder if Patti's going to pop in?

Most of my FL Friends here at Dave's are in the JAX area.
I'll see how they are doing.

Here's the OFFICIAL 2008 Hurricane Names

Arthur-
Bertha-
Cristobal-
Dolly-
Edouard-
Fay-
Gustav*
Hanna*
Ike*
Josephine
Kyle
Laura
Marco
Nana
Omar
Paloma
Rene
Sally
Teddy
Vicky
Wilfred

Be Safe!
As usual for those of you in the affected area...try to set up phone trees and contact people.
I'm in the Address book and happy to be a contact.
Ric

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi Ric, Darius and Marylyn!

Sigh - here we go again! Got the 'cane kit ready to go, Bertha3 (our escape pod) needs a little interior cleaning, but the generator is A+.

Sharon

Ric, I have left messages with some of Patti's kin... best I can do to contact her. Sure miss her participation. In previous hurricanes, this forum has been extremely active, not so with Gustav. Are we becoming inured to the danger of these storms?

2 of my brothers live in Jax, the other is in Boca.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Welcome Sharon!
Speaking of JAX friends! LOL!

Ric

Yep, glad to see you Sharon!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Pati's Membership expires tomorrow.... her Birthday......

Darius you and I are also in the path this time...........

Ric

Right on, Ric. Aren't you on flat land, though? Since I've lived here, my creek has only flooded once into the yard, and that from just a rain storm, not hurricane-related; the creek didn't really get far out of its banks. Now I have planted a lot of stuff within 15-20 feet of the creek and that worries me. In another year the roots would be well-established.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

A lot of the Gustav & Fay chatter took place on the regional forums instead of in here. (shrug, smile) We'll be here with the links and info and maps and lists if they're needed. ^_^

Hi, Sharon! I'm glad you have Bertha3 ready. :-)

Thanks, Marylyn... I realized that later. The Regional forums were just getting started when we had the last really bad storms.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hanna hit the Bahamas and was downgraded to a tropical storm again. Unfortunately, it isn't likely to stay that way.

Quoting:
HANNA COULD REGAIN HURRICANE STRENGTH LATER TODAY OR TOMORROW.

HANNA IS FORECAST TO MOVE NORTHWESTWARD UNTIL IT REACHES THE COAST OF SOUTH CAROLINA...AFTER WHICH IT IS EXPECTED TO GRADUALLY RECURVE TO THE NORTHEAST. AN APPROXIMATE 84-HOUR POSITION WOULD BE NEAR 31.3N 80.2W.

BY 84 HOURS HANNA COULD BE A MAJOR HURRICANE.

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

We are about 20 miles west of the Charleston coast. I guess it's time to put away the lawn furniture. :-/

Amy

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

yeah... the weather channel said that it might even hit beaufort county.... not good for me. at least its not least it isnt predicted to hit where predicted when this thread was started. they had it hitting Hilton Head Isl. or Daufuskie Isl. we would get the eye! and im only 14 feet above sea level and my grand parents condo on HHI is only 6ft above sea level. if this hits us it will be awful. i already took the leaves off of the confederate rose and angel trumpes and other woody in-ground plants with large leaves to reduce wind damage to them.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2008 10:53 AM

Check out the update...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at3.shtml?5day?large#contents

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

looks like thats hitting Charleston county or maybe northern beaufort county... im in southern beaufort, so the way things are looking now, we'll get the western part........ thats better than the east at least! (haha that rhymed!... yes, i know im a loser! lol)

You're a poet and didn't know it! LOL! :)

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

haha im cracking up.... idk why... maybe its because i just had coffee and forgot my add meds and am bored out of my mind.... oh my what will i do with myself... well, it looks like i'll only have one day or at most two days of school this week. we have today off as a teacher work day

Sending prayers ... Stay safe!

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

thanks... thats what we need! and faith in Godthat He has our best interests in mind. Even though we might not understand things, we just need to have faith and know that God has our best interests in mind, whatever they may be.

"For we know that God causes ALL things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." Romans 9:28 New American Standard translation.

5:00 Update

Quoting:
THE OFFICIAL INTENSITY FORECAST CALLS FOR HANNA TO REGAIN HURRICANE STRENGTH IN A DAY OR SO...

Thumbnail by darius
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

or not....LOL!

Ric

Holding my breath ...

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

now they have her making landfall right on top of us again....

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like a Carolina hit..... as a Cat 1 probably.
Then a rapid dissipation.

They will know more by tomorrow morning after the flight.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the update Ric, looks like it will be messy and hard on the beaches.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

we may have dodged it this time, butit looks like ike is going to be one to watch, as it looks like it might follow a similar track as hanna.

Am keeping an eye out and sending prayers your way.
~Susan

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM SURF CITY NORTH CAROLINA SOUTHWESTWARD TO NORTH OF EDISTO BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA...AND A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FROM EDISTO BEACH SOUTHWESTWARD TO ALTAMAHA SOUND GEORGIA.

HANNA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 12 MPH...19 KM/HR...AND THIS MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS...WITH A GRADUAL INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED. ON THIS TRACK...THE CENTER OF HANNA WILL PASS JUST EAST OF THE CENTRAL AND NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS TODAY...AND WILL BE NEAR THE SOUTHEAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES BY FRIDAY OR FRIDAY NIGHT. HOWEVER...RAINS AND WINDS ASSOCIATED WITH HANNA WILL REACH THE COAST WELL IN ADVANCE OF THE CENTER.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 70 MPH...110 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS. SLIGHT STRENGTHENING IS POSSIBLE DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS...AND HANNA COULD BECOME A HURRICANE BEFORE REACHING THE SOUTHEAST U.S. COAST.

DESPITE HAVING AIRCRAFT FIXES...THE INITIAL MOTION IS HARD TO GAGE...PROBABLY DUE TO THE SPRAWLING NATURE OF THE CIRCULATION...BUT THE INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE IS 320/10. HANNA
SHOULD ROUND THE BUILDING WESTERN ATLANTIC RIDGE AND ROUGHLY HUG THE EAST COAST OF THE UNITED STATES...BUT PASSING NEAR OR OVER THE COAST OF THE CAROLINAS ALONG THE WAY. ... AS ALWAYS...ONE SHOULD NOT FOCUS ON THE EXACT FORECAST OF THE CENTER...ESPECIALLY SINCE MUCH OF THE WEATHER ASSOCIATED WITH HANNA IS WELL-REMOVED FROM THE CENTER.

This storm looks like it is going to pass so closely to the East Coast, for several days, that it really doesn't matter where - or if - it actually makes landfall. It looks like everyone is going to be effected, from Florida all the way up through New England and probably into Canada. Please be careful!!

This message was edited Sep 4, 2008 7:52 AM

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

Sending my prayres to all those who will be affected by this storm. Stay safe!
~Susan

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
...HANNA ACCELERATING NORTHWESTWARD...

A TROPICAL STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE NORTHWESTERN BAHAMAS. A TROPICAL WARNING ALSO REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM ALTAMAHA SOUND GEORGIA NORTHWARD ALONG THE ATLANTIC COAST TO CHINCOTEAGUE VIRGINIA...INCLUDING PAMLICO AND ALBEMARLE SOUNDS...AND NORTHWARD INTO CHESAPEAKE BAY TO SMITH POINT.

THE HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NORTH OF EDISTO BEACH SOUTH CAROLINA TO CURRITUCK BEACH LIGHT NORTH CAROLINA...INCLUDING PAMLICO SOUND.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM NORTH OF CHINCOTEAGUE VIRGINIA TO SANDY HOOK JERSEY...INCLUDING THE CHESAPEAKE BAY NORTH OF SMITH POINT...THE TIDAL POTOMAC...WASHINGTON D.C...AND THE DELAWARE BAY. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36
HOURS.

THERE IS LITTLE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A STRONG TROPICAL STORM AND A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE...AND HANNA COULD REACH HURRICANE STRENGTH BEFORE MOVING INLAND OVER THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES IN ABOUT 24 HOURS.

HANNA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAINFALL ACCUMULATIONS OF 4 TO 6 INCHES FROM COASTAL SOUTH CAROLINA...NORTHWARD THROUGH EASTERN NORTH CAROLINA AND INTO SOUTHEASTERN VIRGINIA...WITH ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 10 INCHES POSSIBLE. RAINFALL AMOUNTS OF 1 TO 2 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE ALONG THE FLORIDA EAST COAST AND COASTAL
GEORGIA. RAINFALL WILL BE DIMINISHING ACROSS THE NORTHERN BAHAMAS EARLY FRIDAY MORNING. VERY HEAVY RAINFALL WILL BE SPREADING NORTHEASTWARD THROUGH THE MID ATLANTIC...SOUTHERN NEW YORK...AND INTO SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND LATE FRIDAY INTO SATURDAY.

All of you folks along the East Coast, please be careful!!!

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX

We are getting winds about 8mph now and a small spattering of rain/sprinkles.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

This looking better all the time.
4-6" of rain isn't bad at all for down there.
We had 1 1/2 in two hours just two nights ago.....

Sharon we're getting the same thing here in OH....LOL!

Stay Safe
Ric

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

i hope we get more rain than forecasted. we have a deficit of about 5". the winds are gradually increasing, and we will get winds of 35-40 mph with gusts at 50-60 mph. also a 2 foot storm surge is expected, even though we arent going to get hit by it. the track has moved closer to us though...

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy, Folks...

I don't mind the rain either (definitely need to refill the wells and aquifers here!) but with the high winds we'll see quite a bit of power outages, possibly as far inland as Greensboro (mid-state), or so "they" say! The Governor was on at noon telling folks to be prepared and he has the National Guard on Stand-by for areas that will get heavy flooding (more towards the coast than where I am).

Our ground is a bit saturated from the rains we've recently rec'd so it won't take a lot of wind to be downing trees.

As for me, I'm plodding along with my days labor, even setting out 150 brassica plants (broccoli, cabbage, collards, etc) before the rains move in! (But no worries here, I'm heeding the alert and have plenty of gas in the cars, gas for the chainsaws, food and drink, more than enough to help neighbors, too!

Glad to see this thread, it gives me something to check into as the storm moves in closer.

Best!
Shoe

Hi, Folks. The 2 pm update on Hanna shows the center should be offshore of the SE Coast later tonight. She's moving fast, at not quite hurricane strength. At 2pm, she was 310 miles due south of Wilmington.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCPAT3+shtml/051747.shtml
We could use some rain here, too. Gustav was too far inland for us, and it looks like Hanna might be too far east.

Shoe, I'm not surprised you are prepared with enough for neighbors too if needed.

Y'all take care and stay safe. :) Sending prayers to everyone.
~Susan

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Shoe good to see you here!

Not much has been said about this but the projected path will cut right across Camp Lejeune and the Cherry Point Marine Air Station.
These are Marine Corps training facilities.

We've camped at Emerald Isle, NC which just north of Lejeune.
To get south you have to go thru the base, several times during training maneuvers.
They have some serious equipment.
There should be PLENTY of able bodies there to help out if anyone gets in dire trouble.

Stay Safe!
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.