yellow pond iris

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Good idea. Tamarisk or salt cedar is one of the big problems here. They have very deep roots and can find the water table. Under such circumstances it is almost impossible to irradicate them. They use goats which eat them down to nubs but in a couple of years they are back. They were brought in as ornamentals and they can be pretty.

Lebanon, OR

Yup I remember that.

Like Ajunga for landscaping, do not know about others but sorry that plant was ever made...also little purple aluim, irum itacilum

Those here should come with warning labels of DO NOT PLANT you will live to regret it, and I do...two were here when I bought the place..

D

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I know ajuga from the South, but I don't know irum italicum. I have seen a little white onion that I have been told is invasive -- but it doesn't grow here, so I haven't had any problems with it.

Lebanon, OR

Well I planted that Arum in '92 and still get it....like a jack in the pulpit but spreads like weeds and awful smelling not pretty...I dig up maybe a couple hundred a year...from 5 small bulbs...

I think the little onion is purple sensation but not sure, but that was here when I bought in '91 and still fighting it...

D

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

`I wondered if these iris would be invasive in colder climates since it doesn't seem to be invasive here. Our streams in the mountains are very cold even though we are in the south. (Sometimes referred to the Upper South).
But as soon as I thought it might be safe to trade to people in colder climates, oldgardenrose says it is listed as an invasive up her way. So I am through with it and I think this thread has covered the question thoroughly.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It isn't invasive in New Mexico. It is what we don't have that keeps it in control -- water. We actually sold some at our last rhizome sale.
The owner of a local arilbred display garden bought all we had. Guess he wasn't worried that they would spread like mad. The donor put their roots in little plastic bags sealed with a rubber band so they wouldn't dry out.

South Hamilton, MA

Water keeps it in control? We have plenty of water here & it fights with purple loostrife to clog waterways--seeds & pods float. Don't what they do in Europe where it is native.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

lack of water keeps it under control

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I hope you saw my offer Woodspirit, it still stands. I removed the offer as a lot of people were asking me to send plants to them, and i don't have that many available right now.

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

After all my lectures about invasive species, I found I was a violator also.
Burning bush 'Euonymus alatus' is listed as invasive on the Illinois list. I
had been looking at the USDA list and not the Illinois state list. Looks like
I will be doing some chopping and digging. Wife doesn't like it anyway.

This message was edited Sep 5, 2008 9:58 AM

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's interesting, Oldgardenrose, I really like Burning bush and was thinking of adding one to my yard for the fall color. I have seen them here and there in people's yards, but no wild ones, so I doubt if they are invasive here. Again, probably too little water. Now siberian elms -- that's another story.

Franklin Springs, NY(Zone 4b)

I didn't mean to stir everyone up and of course no offense taken for you responses.
To reassure everyone, the Iris I have given away have gone to three places where no one trades.
First to someone who has a wet swampy Tub on her deck with Calamus, some Touch-me-Nots, The Iris, and an unknown small Iris, that is being tested for it's seeming partiallity to wet soil which is the whole reason for the Tub.
Second, to a botanist who is doing some crosses for research, and
Third, to friends who have a small floodplain within their yard that edges a landlocked section of a turn-of-the-century canal that has been cleaned up and restored by a string of connected neighbors. They are trying to build up some sections to dry that particular area out.
As for my Iris, it doesn't really have anywhere to go. The creek it is Near, not in, runs maybe four months out of the year. It twists and turns back on itself through openings in the woods. There are clumps I've seen in the Oriskany near here, which is quite deep year-round and the swift water could certainly spread them there.
I will remove them from my list and appreciate the input. I hadn't considered the potential irresponsibility of the Traders at Daves Garden.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Glad you are so vigilant!

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I'll second that.

Lebanon, OR

ditto here as well.

I know really and truly we all need to look at our own states invasive list, because if I were not a grower I would not know any of these to be honest unless they say something on the news.

I now check each state if I am trading other plants to make sure that it is not an invasive plant and now looking into doing it for all states.

So many plants were started some place for another reason and got out of control...here it is also the lovely scotch broom which is not native and it is doing terrible things here.

D

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Since you are classed as a commercial grower, could you enlighten some
of the members not familiar with the state ag inspection protocol for you
to become licensed to ship interstate commerce? I have seen certification
sheets from Oregon iris growers concerning soil attached to the rhizomes
and Dutch bulb growers with national certification to ship to foreign countries.

I would assume you operation is inspected for diseases and insects etc.

Question addressed to Dee, or any other commercial growers.

Lebanon, OR

Each year, I personally undergo three inspections 3 weeks apart in order to ship overseas. This includes, having my soil tested once a year, the iris inspected for insects both above and below ground.

My iris are cleaned, then cleaned and treated in 90-10 bleach water.

Now if it is something like ladybugs etc that does not go against us.

What they are looking for are insects that cause damage to any place they are shipped.

I hope this answers the question.

D

Salem, IL(Zone 5b)

Another thing besides sanitation, what would happen to your certification
if you were found to be shipping illegal plants to other states? I have read
your postings and am certain your advice was sincere and from a professional
standpoint. I became interested in the subject of invasive and banned plants
and trees from reading nursery catalogs with the notation "cannot ship so and
so treee/plant/shrub to so and so state".

South Hamilton, MA

Congratulations to all people having heard about the invasivness of the pseudacorus iris & other plants work to correct the situation. It may be little by little, but sometime in the next 50 yrs, the job will be done.

Lebanon, OR

If I were found to ship KNOWINGLY a plant that was on invasive list we are fined and put on warning, told to clean up or else.

Now when I say KNOWINGLY that is because listing can happen overnight and have, and before we get the notice something was shipped.

D

Hope this helps

Raleigh, NC

I've started going one step farther. Last year I got an order of rhizomes that were heavily infested with little mounds of gummy stuff- turned out to be larvae, and little "non-pareils", later aphids of some sort. So now I not only bleach and rinse, I resoak for a couple minutes in an insecticial soap mix, then don't rinse.

Dogwoods are invasive? they are our state flower, and a natural understory tree here to our loblolly pines. I have tried to transplant many, and all die. Invasive?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.