air potato - Discorea bulbifera

New Orleans, LA(Zone 9A)

Who else is growing this? The foliage is beautiful and really has a tropical look. I understand it's a pest in Florida; here in New Orleans it gets killed off every few years by a hard frost but the vines come back from the tubers that have dropped to the ground - they seem to be a lot more resistant to cold. Never any flowers, though.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

Hi,
I am on the Mississippi Gulf Coast.
I grow Air Potato in a large pot &
let it climb up the west end of my
greenhouse. Helps keep my greenhouse cool in the afternoon.
Not one of my favorite, but it works
as sun blocker.

Honeybee

Honeybee -

In the greenhouse, does yours go dormant in the fall?

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

HI..
I grow Air Potato also in a pot and few in the ground. One on arbor that I built. The leaves are pretty! I see around here, people grow them.

Niles, MI(Zone 5a)

Ok, this is interesting,where can I get starts?? can it be grown in the house? I live in Zone 5, can it be outside in the summer and brought in for the winter?
I have giant hibiscus seeds for trade

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I love the air potato. Beautiful foliage and with luck a few potatoes on the vine. In Iowa we don't have enough time for the potatoes to get any size to them and I've found that the bigger the seed potato, the bigger the leaves. We also don't have to worry about it becoming a pest here as it freezes away each year. I started one in the house one spring a little earlier than I should have and it soon began to take over the place. I'm not sure I would want to grow one in the house unless you planned on cutting it back every few days. :-)

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

I have some that I will gladly send you. I work for a tree farm & we have it growing on our "vine fence". Send me your address.

Titusville, FL(Zone 9b)

I also have air potato for trade some as big as your fist. Contact me if you are looking for some.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.