Heidi Chronicles: Growing Up

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

Oh, I bet that was funny to see! She must have figured you for the cat lady of all time. I can just see that face. ROTF!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ok, Folks, I know that is a lot of sugar, but I don't have much time left to spoil the babies now that Cruella has finally been banished - mostly.

Oh, and the fact that this thread runneth over has not escaped me. Have to get some sleep right now. Will be sure to get a new one going tomorrow. That will be my goal for the day.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Really - Cool Whip? Fake dairy, but tastes sweet: makes sense, I suppose. I can't blame you for occasionally trying to treat Trouble a bit; he is one of the old kits, after all, and has no real role to play since no female in her right mind would pick him over HRH. You truly are getting a unique opportunity to watch the kits develop, practice their skills, etc., in the wild: always awesome and fascinating to hear what you've seen!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

Thinking of you and hoping you are not in the projected path of the storm (Ike). Keeping you and all others in TX and along the Gulf Coast in my thoughts and prayers.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Thank you, Cheryl. ^_^ Right now it looks like Ike is going to come on shore south of us, but then it's going to turn north, so we will probably at least be getting rain from it. We can use the rain... just not all of the other stuff that comes with a hurricane.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

Good to hear from you and to know that Ike is projected to hit your area directly. Be careful though. As I'm sure you must know (from living in hurricane territory), they don't always go where the meteorologists tell them to. Also, if it is projected to come through your area after making landfall, don't discount the potential ferocity of a major hurricane even 100's of miles inland. I know I keep using Hugo as an example just because it's what I know about from personal experience, but Hugo did some serious damage to Columbia, SC which is some 200 miles inland and even damaged Clemson, SC which is at the far western 'point' of our pie-shaped state. Please don't under-estimate this storm. I made that mistake with our big one. Don't want you to do the same. Take care. Best wishes for the storm to miss you entirely except for a bit of much needed rain - but not too much.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

>>Terese, hope you have a great trip!

doing well, weather is nice. should be home after the 20th some time.

fun stories!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Terese!

Glad to hear that things are going well there.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Anybody, ehem, maybe someone in admin, know if DG will be ok during the hurricane (Ike)? I think I recall hearing previously that some servers are in other areas. Still, earlier today when my browser was taking a while to connect, I was freaking out thinking, "OMG, what if DG had to evacuate, too?! How will we all get our fix(es)?" I mean that would be a true world wide emergency for sure. ;-D

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I think most of the servers are in Dallas (I think) It will have to get pretty bad to see Dallas down.

Dave has on occasion, run DG from his home system. This is usually in a dire circumstance, and bandwidth is narrowed considerably.

Lyndonville, NY

Oh lordy, if DG goes down, my life will be sooooo boring! I have no life outside of DG!

Well, the kids don't really count.

Debbie

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

melody,

Thanks for the info. That isn't really very comforting though, not for those of us who can't function without a hit or two of DG just to start the morning. OMG, how will we communicate with all of our DG buddies? I haven't been off-DG for years! This is scary. ; )

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

ROTF, Debbie!

Quoting:
"The kids don't really count"

Columbia, MO(Zone 5b)

Scutler and Spartacus that is so funny!

Yeah, I can imagine all of those phyically fit folks watching you go through the store snagging all the sugar and sweets and rolling their eyes. Bet they would all run for the hills in horror after one night at the buffet Hee Hee.

Thirty eight indeed! And you still have your youthful figure. Oh daaahling how did you do it?? ROFL

OMG if DG went offline I think I would just seize up and keel over or worse! I can see the headlines now -- "middle aged woman holds computer geeks hostage due to DG website going down ---- news at 11:00 --- "

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

LOL debbie ... . btw , how's IzzyBelle ?

LOL tetley ... too funny.

I"m sure DG will be just fine. though i have to admit... with DH not here, i dont think the TV has been on at all since i got here on Monday.

Lyndonville, NY

Terese, she is improving but still having some problems. She has been in quite a bit of pain, but played a bit today.

So scary watching this storm, and it is picking up such power. I just pray for the people and animals in its path.

Cheryl, I am wondering how marshmellow fluff would work on bread..oh the pictures you could get! LOL

Debbie

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

OH heavens.... FLUFF would be a HUGE hit!!

i can just see them smackin' their lips [due to the stickiness] , and getting their lil hands all sticky, having to lick the stuff off.

Lyndonville, NY

Thats what I was picturing. I figured it was easier than Cheryl making them rice krispie treats. LOL

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

... and i think there are generic jars.... so they wouldn't be as costly.

well, i'm off to bed..... i was jsut so excited that i got an internet connection in the trailer, and not have to go to the club house.

Buddy's been out cold for a while now....

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tetleytuna,

OMG that is too funny

Quoting:
"news at 11:00"

Quoting:
"Oh daaahling how did you do it??"

Is my face red? Is it? Like a burgundy hue? Clearly this just went right past me. Duh! I would try to use the 'it was so late when I read that' excuse except I'm a night owl anyway. Maybe I can get away with the 'I was so exhausted that night' explanation plus the 'I was sleep typing/reading' cover. Oh, heck I'd better just go with the tried and true 'temporary insanity' as that one even suffices in legal circles to explain all manner of bad behavior.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I got strawberry marshmallow creme. Isn't that what you are talking about? I went with strawberry since they like the strawberry frosting so much.

Sorry I wasn't able to do anything earlier tonight. I was sick, nothing serious, just couldn't lift my head from pillow w/o being sick, something I desperately wanted to avoid. Bummer. Feeling marginally better now though still reading and typing with head on pillow. Didn't even feed raccoons tonight for same reason. Couldn't change the thread as that would require walking to another room to get photo, not a good idea as I was trying to stay still to keep from barfing. I was even too ill to lurk if you can believe that. Awoke a little while ago and read posts.

Please know that I am very concerned for all in the TX gulf area in the path of the storm. My joking around earlier was like my joking about Hanna early on when I thought she was coming here and might be a cat 3, using humor to diffuse situation not to be disrespectful. I would be pretty lost if anything happened to DG though.

Good to see you back with us, Terese.

Debbie, I didn't realize your dog was sick. Hope she will be well soon.

Ruth, I'm so embarrassed to have missed the joke. Even as a 'cat' thing it was funny, all the more so as a 'baby' thing. When I am well enough, I think I may break my own rule against such behavior and edit the whole thing away. ; )
I wanted to respond about Trouble tonight but was too sick earlier. Will address later though.

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Cheryl, hope you'll soon be feeling very much better; nausea is the pits.

Good thoughts and wishes to all in Texas; may you dodge this nasty bullet from Ike.

Tetleytuna, too funny! Though in my case, I think the cashier's thoughts were less, "how did you do it?" than, "no wonder you look so worn out."

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

Cheryl -- yes, i'd think Strawberry Marshmallow in a jar would be the same as 'flavored Fluff'

my son used to make 'sandwich' cookies with a fluff mixture.... out of this world.... a lil sweet though, but very good.

I'm sure your critters will just love it.

OMG -- are y our critters spoiled!!

OH -- hope you are feeling better. that barfing when just moving your head does not sound good or fun.
Do take care of yourself.

as for Texas.... hopefully the evac will go smoothly and no one gets hurt with this hurricane.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I'm feeling much better today and am at work although I did get in a bit late. The occasional bouts of extreme nausea will absolutely result in complete purging of upper half of system if I don't lie down immediately and remain very still and quiet and hope for the best. Luckily they now occur very infrequently (although at completely arbitrary and unpredictable times which is a pain). They are a side effect of the medicine I now take to manage the illness that was causing me to sleep all of the time last year. If you recall, when I 1st went on the medication (and again when my dosage was adjusted) I went through weeks and weeks of almost constant GI upset - like having food poisoning every day. It is a known side effect. Although some people cannot tolerate the medication at all, most people get over the side effects after the 1st few weeks. I seem to be somewhere in the middle. I have gotten to the point where the incidence of this total system purging is, thankfully, very infrequent, but I still have it on occasion. I have learned to live with that reality since the medication is important not only so that I can stay awake but also so that I can stay alive. These days, when one of these bouts does occur, while it is quite severe at the time, it is over rather quickly, either when the system is purged or failing that then in 6-8hrs at most.

Thanks for your concern. I didn't tell you that to cause concern or get sympathy or of that. I'm fine. Really. I just wanted to explain why I was quite unable to do any of the things I said I would do last night.

I wrote the 1st post (last night), the one in response to tetleytuna, before the nausea had started. Before I could finish that post I realized I had to lie down or else so I saved it. Later when I awoke at 3AM I finished it and sent it. Because I started it before I got really sick, that is why it sounded playful vs the way I sounded in the other post.

But all is well now.

Highland Heights, KY(Zone 6a)

{{{{{{Cheryl}}}}}}, so sorry you are sick. Sheesh, I hope they're working on new meds--to have to choose between chronic fatique and chronic barfing is a lousy choice to have to make!

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
to have to choose between chronic fatigue and chronic barfing is a lousy choice to have to make!
I agree! ((((((((((Cheryl)))))))))))))))

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

KyWoods, Marylyn,

Thank you both so much. It was one of those days today, so I really needed a hug - or three. Actually, I feel at least a thousand times better since I started taking the medicine. When it makes me sick, granted it is awful for the short term, but I may go months before I get sick again, so it really is worth it. The truth is if I don't take the medicine I will die, so that makes the choice a whole lot easier. ;-)

But thank you for the understanding, support, and hugs.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

I'm really worried about you. I just saw the report on Ike before I went out to feed the raccoons. They talked like Houston was in the path and was being evacuated; that the storm is likely to be a cat 4 before it makes landfall; and that the damage may be comparable to that of Katrina. I sure hope you are typing your posts from somewhere other than Houston! They said by tomorrow morning it may be too late to leave, that some roads may already be flooded.

Runnnnn!

No one hates evacuating more than me, but sometimes it's the only thing you can do. (Ok, now i'm going to hush, but I just don't want you to be left in a bad storm and find out too late.)

Scary--every once in a while I get zone envy for my home town of New Orleans....then I remember hurricane season.
I agree, barfing beats dying, anyday. How awful for you. I still hope they're working on improving the meds.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Hurricane Ike is "only" a Cat 2 right now and will probably be a Cat 3 when it makes landfall tomorrow evening. We are on the high side of Houston (relatively high.. about 90 feet above sea level) and are not in any danger from the storm surges or floods. The mandatory evacuations are for the eastern and lower parts of the city. The rest of us have been asked to stay in our homes so as not to clog up the exit routes for the folks that really do need to leave. Realistically, we will probably lose power. We are praying that the limbs on the trees overhanging our house stay put, and that the trees surrounding us (and there are several! we do a lot of shade gardening) stay upright.

Houston is not in the same kind of danger as New Orleans was... Even the low parts are above sea level and we don't have levees to fail. We have bayous coursing through town that carry the bulk of the flood waters away. Some parts of town do flood everytime we get wet, but the folks there know about it and expect it. :-) Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. If I don't get back in here soon-ish, we probably lost power. MySharona, henry10, I01, and silverfluter all have our phone numbers, etc. ^_^

And now back to our regularly scheduled raccoon adventures.... ;-)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you, KyWoods.

With all of the advances in medicine, who knows what tomorrow may bring.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Marylyn,

Thank you for explaining. It sounds as though you know what you are doing. I feel a lot better about the situation now. Good luck to you (and to all in the path of this storm). I hope any power outages are a short term thing.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As for the raccoons, they were in kind of a cranky mood tonight. I didn't feed them last night as you know. I've been noticing that when I skip a night they are usually in this kind of mood the next time I feed them. I've begun to think they are intentionally 'snubbing' me on such occasions as punishment for letting them go hungry the night before.

I took the camera out. Don't think I got any truly 'wow' pics. Mostly the raccoons hid in the brush and ignored me, so it was pretty tough to get a good photo op. The pics are downloading now. When they are done, I will pray for a cover shot in there somewhere and start the new thread - not a moment too soon, I know.

Yes, Marylyn, do stay hunkered down in a safe place in your house, and know that prayers are coming your way!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

At long last here is our new thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/902255/

Sorry for the delay.

Hope to see you there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.