Louisiana Iris Seeds

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

One of my LA Iris made some seeds pods and tonight I just plucked them off. Been waiting all summer for them to mature.

Now I look at a couple of the cultivars in the plant files and they say they seeds are sterile. I don't know which cultivar mine are, if I bought them, traded them or what. I just know they bloom royal blue.

Are all seeds for them sterile? If not, what do the seeds look like if they are really seeds. Anyway, this is what I got. Are there seeds and which part are the seeds?Thanks for any help/info.

Molly
:^)))

Thumbnail by MollyMc
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Molly... I'm not familiar with LA iris seeds, only bearded. Unfortunately it looks as though the seeds didn't make it. All those little specks along the center of the pod would have developed and grown larger had the plant been sucessfully pollinated and grown to maturity. Maybe an LA iris grower will shed some additional light on the subject.

Heres's a photo of bearded iris seeds. Look closely and you can see some of the tiny ones that didn't make it.

Dan

Thumbnail by zacattack

Thanks for the picture Dan.....There are definately no seeds in these pods.

Ah well, as the plant files say, you can propagate by division. I did that today. Next year there should be even more to divide.

Molly
:^)))

Elberfeld, IN(Zone 6a)

Hi Molly....I am a LA Iris addict, along with a bunch of other plant addictions....LOL Several of my LA have set seeds, I usually give them to a friend locally who LOVES to plant seeds - I find that some varieties set seeds much better than others - also, the weather plays a big part, too. Don't know how many plants you have, but Iris City Gardens in Primm TN is a wonderful source - Greg and Macye are absolutely the nicest folks.....take a look: Iriscitygardens.com. I am expecting a shipment from them any day .....

pic of one of my favorites LA Iris 'Our Dorothy'

Thumbnail by jrwbirds
west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

LA Iris seeds are definitely not sterile but they will be hybrids and you never know what you will get. If they were sterile, there would not be so many hybrids of them. They are large and dark when successfully pollinated.

I saw the size of the rhizomes from Iris City Coop and all I can say is get them from the deep South growers--most of mine are over a foot long. Bigger rhizomes produce a greater proportion of offsets over the season. I rarely get less than 3 from one rhizome planted in the fall. And I have over 70 varieties.
=)

Metairie, LA(Zone 9b)

Molly,

I'm late weighing in on this, but you might find that that iris will produce good seed pods another time. I have seen empty pods, like yours, next to good seed pods on the same plant. Very few Louisiana irises are sterile, although there are a few. If you could post a picture of the flower, perhaps we could identify the variety and someone would know if it is sterile. You can tell early if you have a good pod by squeezing it. That empty pod would feel sponge-like, but fully developed seeds makes for a hard, firm pod.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, In the spring when they come back for blooming, I will remember that. Luckily they have been multiplying at the roots enough to share some with a couple gardening friends.

Funny you should post this morning when I just went out to look out there. My pond has a leak and is down by about 8 inches now. My job is cut out for me today!!

Molly

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.